The War On Drugs A Failure

Apr 27, 2012
The War on Drugs has been a failure and needs to end.

The US tried Prohibition and it failed and also resulted in more crime with organized crime taking over production/distribution along with more hard liquor use. The US learned a lesson from Prohibition but unfortunately cant apply those same lessons to the War On Drugs.

Over $1 trillion has been spent yet the US has the largest prison population with half of them being there because of the drug laws. The drug war also unfairly punishes blacks and hispanics since their use of drugs compared to whites is similar yet much more of them are locked up for drug charges than whites. The War On Drugs is racist towards minorities.

The War On Drugs also causes more crime with gangs fighting over control over turf and taking out rival gangs many times this results in innocent people getting killed and injured. There has been an increase in crime due to the drug war.

The War on Drugs is also highly expensive with no results to show for it, this is a lot of taxpayer money that is wasted and could be used for much more productive purposes. Legalizing drugs could save the US over $40 billion in drug law enforcement and could gain $46 billion in tax revenue. The drug war has also resulted in thousands of Mexicans and Central Americans being killed because of the drug linked gang violence. It also unfairly punishes people since many of them have the charges on their criminal record and are unable to get a job/credit card/apartment and various other things.

The War On Drugs is also a massive violation of liberty, If someone wants to put drugs into their own body then they should be able to and suffer the consequences. This is part of what freedom is about, people making their own choices and facing risks for actions they take. The government doesn't have the right to tell people they cant do drugs.

Drug use is also a social/medical problem and private charities and organizations can do a much better job in helping people than the government forcing its way onto them.

Also the government supports the drug war because they believe they can help people yet do just the opposite. They do it for moral reasons rather than facts and logic. Allowing the government control over this issue easily lets them dictate other aspects of our lives.

Governments cant protect individuals from themselves its just impossible otherwise they become a tyrannical state

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/06/opinion/branson-end-war-on-drugs/index.html

Last edited:

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
The War on Drugs has been a failure and needs to end.

The US tried Prohibition and it failed and also resulted in more crime with organized crime taking over production/distribution along with more hard liquor use. The US learned a lesson from Prohibition but unfortunately cant apply those same lessons to the War On Drugs.

Over $1 trillion has been spent yet the US has the largest prison population with half of them being there because of the drug laws. The drug war also unfairly punishes blacks and hispanics since their use of drugs compared to whites is similar yet much more of them are locked up for drug charges than whites. The War On Drugs is racist towards minorities.

The War On Drugs also causes more crime with gangs fighting over control over turf and taking out rival gangs many times this results in innocent people getting killed and injured. There has been an increase in crime due to the drug war.

The War on Drugs is also highly expensive with no results to show for it, this is a lot of taxpayer money that is wasted and could be used for much more productive purposes. Legalizing drugs could save the US over $40 billion in drug law enforcement and could gain $46 billion in tax revenue. The drug war has also resulted in thousands of Mexicans and Central Americans being killed because of the drug linked gang violence. It also unfairly punishes people since many of them have the charges on their criminal record and are unable to get a job/credit card/apartment and various other things.

The War On Drugs is also a massive violation of liberty, If someone wants to put drugs into their own body then they should be able to and suffer the consequences. This is part of what freedom is about, people making their own choices and facing risks for actions they take. The government doesn't have the right to tell people they cant do drugs.

Drug use is also a social/medical problem and private charities and organizations can do a much better job in helping people than the government forcing its way onto them.

Also the government supports the drug war because they believe they can help people yet do just the opposite. They do it for moral reasons rather than facts and logic. Allowing the government control over this issue easily lets them dictate other aspects of our lives.

Governments cant protect individuals from themselves its just impossible otherwise they become a tyrannical state

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/06/opinion/branson-end-war-on-drugs/index.html

Everyone with at least half a brain knows that the war on drugs has been a colossal failure. But what does reality have to do with drug laws? Nothing is going to change. There are too many people with less than half a brain, and legislators are cowards.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i just heard on the radio that medicinal marijuana will be available in DC starting in the spring. didn't know that.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
We should legalize all crimes including murder, because the police just failed at stopping it with all that spending....ohh wait.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
We should legalize all crimes including murder, because the police just failed at stopping it with all that spending....ohh wait.

Your post doesn't make sense, bud.

Legalization/decriminalization of drugs has been a success in parts of the world that have gone that route.

Prohibition on the other hand... we already know how that went with alcohol and the same applies w\ other drugs.

Look at the situation w\ mexico. They're executing people... beheading people on the regular in order to conduct their drug trade with our nation.

Now, if the drugs were legal there'd be no black market. I always like to use meth as an example. Goto your local pharmacy and look at all the cold meds that are no longer over the counter.... at times, this can be an inconvenience and this effects every state afaik. Too bad the idiots on capital hill weren't thinking when they thought this was a good law to pass.

Curtailing the production & distribution of meth from within the united states only opened up the market to ultra violent mexican cartels...

Now... forget about these boogey men in the middle east. We have certified KILLERS right next door and actively supplying them with guns, money, and motive to keep on killing.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Everyone with at least half a brain knows that the war on drugs has been a colossal failure. But what does reality have to do with drug laws? Nothing is going to change. There are too many people with less than half a brain, and legislators are cowards.

we know its a failure. BUT it gives the government and local government far to much power. local agency's use the fact they can sieze then sell items to boost the amount of money they have. they use it as a way to arrest people on stupid fucking charges. Above all this is a excuse to buy military toys nad pretend they are taking down Osama!

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Well, the OP is certainly an example of how big a failure the "War on Drugs" has been.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000

So if Incorruptable smokes a doobie... how is that hurting you? Now if someone murdered a family member of yours... would you agree that this scenario is totally different and has a little more impact on the rights of others?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
So if Incorruptable smokes a doobie... how is that hurting you? Now if someone murdered a family member of yours... would you agree that this scenario is totally different and has a little more impact on the rights of others?

What if someone in my family wants to try drugs because its so easily accessible and dies from an OD?

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
What if someone in my family wants to try drugs because its so easily accessible and dies from an OD?

That's their own fault. Responsible drug users shouldn't have their right to consume what they choose restricted because a few dipshits might OD on something. Stupidity has consequences, and laws shouldn't coddle people who make stupid decisions.

It is perfectly legal to drink enough alcohol to kill yourself. The vast majority of people know better than to do so and, consequently, don't drink that amount. The same applies for other drugs.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Your post doesn't make sense, bud.

Legalization/decriminalization of drugs has been a success in parts of the world that have gone that route.

Prohibition on the other hand... we already know how that went with alcohol and the same applies w\ other drugs.

Look at the situation w\ mexico. They're executing people... beheading people on the regular in order to conduct their drug trade with our nation.

Now, if the drugs were legal there'd be no black market. I always like to use meth as an example. Goto your local pharmacy and look at all the cold meds that are no longer over the counter.... at times, this can be an inconvenience and this effects every state afaik. Too bad the idiots on capital hill weren't thinking when they thought this was a good law to pass.

Curtailing the production & distribution of meth from within the united states only opened up the market to ultra violent mexican cartels...

Now... forget about these boogey men in the middle east. We have certified KILLERS right next door and actively supplying them with guns, money, and motive to keep on killing.

I think you get confused what drugs are legazed where. And just look on the netherlands, they are now thightening it the law again.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
That's their own fault. Responsible drug users shouldn't have their right to consume what they choose restricted because a few dipshits might OD on something. Stupidity has consequences, and laws shouldn't coddle the people who make stupid decisions.

It is perfectly legal to drink enough alcohol to kill yourself. The vast majority of people know better than to do so and, consequently, don't drink that amount. The same applies for other drugs.

Sorry, just cant take you serious. The size proportions of whats needed is entirely different.

Also in terms of alcohol. Had it been "invented" today. It would have been banned. Just like smoking.

Last edited:

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
I am sure thats how your argument goes. Remember to nod your head after you claimed you are right as well, just to show what you say is facts.

Don't need to. Common sense may not be common, but it is quite factual.

Also in terms of alcohol. Had it been "invented" today. It would have been banned. Just like smoking.

Yeah, prohibition is a great idea that was *hugely* successful. :rolleyes:

Seriously, some of you Europeans think there's absolutely no problem that government and law can't solve. That's a shame. Fortunately we in America know better than to trust government as blindly as you do.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

That makes no sense at all and the comparison is poor. Murder is outlawed because it violates anothers basic human rights. Outlawing drugs is the opposite. It deprives people of the ability to consume a product.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Don't need to. Common sense may not be common, but it is quite factual.

Yeah, prohibition is a great idea that was *hugely* successful. :rolleyes:

Seriously, some of you Europeans think there's absolutely no problem that government and law can't solve. That's a shame. Fortunately we in America know better than to trust government as blindly as you do.

I think you yet again fail to understand the concept. Alcohol is build into traditions for 1000s of years. What I say is, had alcohol been invented today it would have been a different case.

It would be nice if your actions also reflected this "knowing better.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
That makes no sense at all and the comparison is poor. Murder is outlawed because it violates anothers basic human rights. Outlawing drugs is the opposite. It deprives people of the ability to consume a product.

Yet you want drugs and claims it doesnt violate anyone else? I think you are confused with the term of your freedom doesnt equal other peoples freedom.

I think I have a right too, to walk on the pavements without having to worry about being cut on needles with deadly diseases or simply walk into an addict that cant control him or herself in their trip.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003

Yeah, and we all know how great the government is at determining what's good and bad to consume. If I had a dime for every time various food items were deemed healthy and then deemed unhealthy I'd be a very wealthy man. And pharmaceuticals.. let's not forget those. Nevermind that almost all of them have side effects that can be worse than the ailment they're supposed to treat, and nevermind that many of them are chemically much more toxic than any illegal drug... nooo... those the government says are perfectly OK to consume with a doctor's blessing.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
I think you yet again fail to understand the concept. Alcohol is build into traditions for 1000s of years. What I say is, had alcohol been invented today it would have been a different case.

The only drugs being "invented" today are the ones coming out of pharmaceutical company laboratories. The rest society is already very familiar with.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Do you believe opium, cocaine, marijuana were invented 100 years ago? These naturally occuring substances have been used by many civilizations over the span of hundreds or thousands of years.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
Yet you want drugs and claims it doesnt violate anyone else? I think you are confused with the term of your freedom doesnt equal other peoples freedom.

I think I have a right too, to walk on the pavements without having to worry about being cut on needles with deadly diseases or simply walk into an addict that cant control him or herself in their trip.

uhm, you're from Copenhagen so that right has already been violated plenty...