The War On Drugs A Failure

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Ending this failed prohibition and switching to treating drugs like cigarettes and alcohol would:

Clean up the streets. Dealers would be competing against a Kiw-E-Mart selling branded drugs of known quality, not cut with baby powder or who knows what.

Reduce crime by stoners. If they can buy a pack of weed cigarettes for less than street prices, they have less need to steal your xbox.

Save billions spend on enforcement and incarceration, while generating billions in tax revenue. Not just the tax stamps for the drugs, but the growers would need to file tax business returns and collect payroll taxes. End their tax loopholes.

Create new jobs from moving drug production back to the US.

Improve the stability of Mexico by cutting off funding to the drug cartels. Improving stability could also mean their citizens have better chances for jobs there and less reason to come here illegally.

For the addicted, it will reduce their health issues from using street drugs that could be tainted with who-knows-what.

Will "the children!" start using weed more than they already now, and in place of getting drunk? Maybe. But some of those billions saved and raised could go towards expanding funding for treating drug abuse, including alcohol and prescription drugs.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
You guys just know all the solutions to the world problems don't ya. With so many addictive personalities out there, easier for them means easier for everyone, glad you all got everything covered and figured out.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
If we manange to jail at least one pothead or meth zombie today (and I suspect several will be), then the "war" has been quite successful. If we manage to bust at least one drug dealer today and confiscate his home, cars and bling, then we got back more than we put in.

WIN-WIN!
This, my friends, is why Republican fiscal policy is the best.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
I mean with full legalization of marijuana and just going after dealers / traffickers.

It would certainly take the wind out of their sails.

Not so much, cartels have also started moving production to the states, growing in state parks, and forest. Pot is big relatively speaking for what it cost. A kilo of coke is a third the size, and makes them ten times more, not to mention they have in the last decade picked up the slack on meth production and trafficking. There's also the fact that more and more weed is grown and sold by US growers they've been losing market share to the tune of billions.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
If you think the war on alcohol was a failure, and the current war on drugs is a failure, you haven't seen anything yet. The war on guns will be a disaster.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Someone wake me up, I must be dreaming... or do I actually agree with something Incorruptible said?

Apr 27, 2012
Whats interesting is that the pos obama smoked pot when he was younger but is now supporting the war on drugs and prosecuting people for doing what he used to do

Pure hypocrite

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I am right about everything I post and its just that in this particular case people are able to see that I am right :D

Broken clock and all that other stuff.

Don't worry though you will always be a worthless troll forever in everyone's book.

Now do us a favor and eat some rat poison for lunch while you look up what the word Islamophobe means.

Apr 27, 2012
Broken clock and all that other stuff.

Don't worry though you will always be a worthless troll forever in everyone's book.

Now do us a favor and eat some rat poison for lunch while you look up what the word Islamophobe means.

Telling another member to kill themselves is just wrong, Looks like I must have hit a severe nerve with you

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
pot-dangerous-ha-ha.jpg

Apr 27, 2012

It is truly amazing the amount of nonsense people believe just because the government tells them.

The government doesn't have a right to tell people what to put in their body. How come some of these same guys who did drugs when they were younger are now punishing others for doing the same thing?

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
If we manange to jail at least one pothead or meth zombie today (and I suspect several will be), then the "war" has been quite successful. If we manage to bust at least one drug dealer today and confiscate his home, cars and bling, then we got back more than we put in.

WIN-WIN!

I think that you and Texashiker are in a neck and neck competition for dumbest poster.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I have to disagree. the "war on drugs" is not a failure.

You guys are looking at it wrong. It was NEVER about getting drugs off the streets. If they really wanted that one of the strongest/best things they would do is really control our boarders (oddly that would also do more for the US then drugs).

It's about gaining power and control. Many police forces's are in reality small military's. they have the training, mentality, and equipment. not to mention budget.

it all comes down to power. That is done by controlling them and money.

Apr 27, 2012
I have to disagree. the "war on drugs" is not a failure.

You guys are looking at it wrong. It was NEVER about getting drugs off the streets. If they really wanted that one of the strongest/best things they would do is really control our boarders (oddly that would also do more for the US then drugs).

It's about gaining power and control. Many police forces's are in reality small military's. they have the training, mentality, and equipment. not to mention budget.

it all comes down to power. That is done by controlling them and money.

Good point, Many of the people who support the war on drugs do so because of moral reasons and believe they are helping others but the real reason is that it gives them more power and increases the size of government.

Thank you big government morons!

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
What if someone in my family wants to try drugs because its so easily accessible and dies from an OD?

You can already do this. Go to CVS and buy a few handles of Popov. Pretty sure you can kill yourself with alcohol poisoning for less than 25 bucks.

Not so much, cartels have also started moving production to the states, growing in state parks, and forest. Pot is big relatively speaking for what it cost. A kilo of coke is a third the size, and makes them ten times more, not to mention they have in the last decade picked up the slack on meth production and trafficking. There's also the fact that more and more weed is grown and sold by US growers they've been losing market share to the tune of billions.

1. They have done this because it's getting so goddamn hard/expensive to send stuff over the border
2. Remove the profit motive and there will be no cartels growing cannabis in the forests