The value of Portland debate (moved from OT)

JPS35

Apr 9, 2006
Portland, what an absolute DEGENERATED F***ING, SHI*HOLE tied for 1st with Seattle and most of Southern Kalifornistan. Anarchists, Bums, Crackheads, Druggies, System Sucking Welfare Jerkoffs, Rapists, Arsonists, and every other bottom feeder. The government doesn't care about the citizens that actually work, pay taxes for services, and want to be safe. Wall it off from Portland all the way to Eugene and let the animals destroy themselves.

These 12 posts have been moved from a thread in OT which had nothing to do with the politics of Portland or it's value to society or Oregon. Debate away but do it here.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Portland, what an absolute DEGENERATED F***ING, SHI*HOLE tied for 1st with Seattle and most of Southern Kalifornistan. Anarchists, Bums, Crackheads, Druggies, System Sucking Welfare Jerkoffs, Rapists, Arsonists, and every other bottom feeder. The government doesn't care about the citizens that actually work, pay taxes for services, and want to be safe. Wall it off from Portland all the way to Eugene and let the animals destroy themselves.

I'm pretty sure the evolved, more wealthy, more tax-paying citizens of Portland that have the actual money making jobs, would love to be walled off from the redneck hicks that mostly occupy the countryside. What do you confederate flag waving cavemen in the rural batshit areas of Oregon really provide society anyways?

JPS35

Apr 9, 2006
I'm pretty sure the evolved, more wealthy, more tax-paying citizens of Portland that have the actual money making jobs, would love to be walled off from the redneck hicks that mostly occupy the countryside. What do you confederate flag waving cavemen in the rural batshit areas of Oregon really provide society anyways?
Yes, I'm sure the "tax paying citizens of Portland that have the actual money making jobs" are just delighted to watch their city, businesses, streets, parks, homes, etc. burn, get destroyed, shit on, stolen, vandalized, and ruined by the degenerates occupying the city. Oregon has lots of room and lots of welcoming places for people and businesses that want to work and contribute to society without having to put up with the garbage of Portland.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yes, I'm sure the "tax paying citizens of Portland that have the actual money making jobs" are just delighted to watch their city, businesses, streets, parks, homes, etc. burn, get destroyed, shit on, stolen, vandalized, and ruined by the degenerates occupying the city. Oregon has lots of room and lots of welcoming places for people and businesses that want to work and contribute to society without having to put up with the garbage of Portland.

Nobody wants to be with the racist regressive out in the sticks. Nobody wants to make a money making city with people that have garbage values. They ain't coming to your trailer park and moving their offices there. You are mostly uneducated rednecks good at hunting squirrels and using Medicaid.

All you spout are lies too. Portland burned lol

Portland's own fire chief had to hold a news conference to call that right wing bs out. All your claims of all this crime are nonsense.

You GI Joe cosplaying loons should have come to protect them if all that was happening. Show people how your way and skills are the right way!

Reactions: Leeea

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006

idk it seemed pretty nice when i visited there

JPS35

Apr 9, 2006
Nobody wants to be with the racist regressive out in the sticks. Nobody wants to make a money making city with people that have garbage values. They ain't coming to your trailer park and moving their offices there. You are mostly uneducated rednecks good at hunting squirrels and using Medicaid.

All you spout are lies too. Portland burned lol

Portland's own fire chief had to hold a news conference to call that right wing bs out. All your claims of all this crime are nonsense.

You GI Joe cosplaying loons should have come to protect them if all that was happening. Show people how your way and skills are the right way!
Blah, blah, blah...I suppose the entire Portland Police Riot Response Team quit yesterday because things are going so well and have such great support from the city council. Many people from Portland and outside of Portland did step up to help protect businesses, people, etc. because the police were hamstringed and abandoned by the so called evolved and elite city council.

Just walk downtown to look at the broken and boarded businesses and windows, damage, graffiti, bums on the streets, shit, piss, needles, and garbage in front of businesses, in parks, and on the main streets and sidewalks, and tent cities all over the place with all the same crap. Yup, businesses and tax payers are delighted to pay for all that, live with it, and clean it up.

If the rest of the state outside of Portland is so racist regressive hicks, I wonder why those same Portlanders repeatedly continue to vacation and travel there?

* Great coastline and cities (Astoria to Bandon)
* Central Oregon recreation and living (Bend, Redmond, Sisters),
* Southern Oregon Umpqua Basin
* High Desert
* Columbia River Gorge (Hood Rver, The Dalles, Pendleton)
* Willamette Valley Wiine Country (McMinnville, Newberg, Amity)

...and many other great places and cities without the Portland trash.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: KMFJD

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Enjoy your tent village, say hi to Cheez, and pick up your garbage, shit, and needles. Stay Squishy.
Cheese is a trumphumping religious wacko, like your other brothers of the evangelical base of your orange cult leader. The two largest groups of Trump's base - the rapture Evangelicals, and the convederate flag waving rednecks that are allergic to the diversity and culture of cities. What a pair of low IQ individuals.

But it's true. I'd rather live in a tent than around a bunch of mouth breathing redneck illiterates who haven't had a critical thought since, well, since ever.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

I've never been so Portand or Seattle. Despite everything you mentioned it seemed like a nice place to visit. Although now might not be a good time.

ANTIFA has been rioting again for no particular reason other than to cause havoc.

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
^ Got's to be a Portlandian trying to keep more people from moving in.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I have moved all the political posts (which have nothing to do with the actual thread subject) out of the OT thread and giving them their own thread where they can debate the value of Portland to society and Oregon.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
My cousin lives in Beaverton. I was out there for a conference in 2019. He showed me the rose garden, a lookout where you could see Mt Adams and Mt Hood, then we went up to Hood River Gorge for dinner and he showed me where he used to windsurf on the Columbia.

When I got off the plane, I saw the homelessness, the tents on any space of dirt by the interstate, and all the people downtown. I just figure that all the hippies from across the US went to Portland and Seattle for the pot then ran out of money. I would be interested to know how bad the homeless problems were before pot was legalized there. I'm pretty sure most of them are transplants.

What my cousins told me was how he thought it was funny....people would travel there June-August and fall in love with the place and buy a house....just in time for the rain to start pouring for the other months. I was there in July and enjoyed the 75 degree July weather. I wasn't hassled by the locals much.

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo and Leeea

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
OP has the kind of tribal mentality that would keep mankind cemented in that past for a billion years until the Sun would eventually engulf us. Game Over.
People are a resource.
If you are spilling your resources on the streets you are managing your resources wrong.
You. I am talking to you OP. You are.
There is a formula for putting these resources back to use.
Why not? Would you rather hate?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Poor OP must be a cop or a facist boot licker. So victimized when he finds out beating someone repeatedly with a baton for no reason is assault.

Fascism has nothing to do with it. Not as we understand it. Todays agitators see America's very existence as "fascist".

ANTIFA, now an umbrella organization for all sorts of rioters, malcontents, and international agitators who go around from state to state burning, looting, blocking traffic, breaking windows, spray painting messages of hate and then assaulting people, police and anyone who speaks against them simply wants to overthrow the government. Nothing less. There is no appeasing them.

Portland and Seattle know this and hope that by playing nice with them and not prosecuting those arrested (or slapping them on the wrist sometimes) maybe they will find something else to do. But it never happens. They just keep coming back.

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Fascism has nothing to do with it. It is simply a matter of wanting to enjoy your life in peace and not constantly run into looters, rioters and thugs who are destroying your community.

ANTIFA, now an umbrella organization for all sorts of rioters, malcontents, and international agitators who go around from state to state burning, looting, blocking traffic, breaking windows, spray painting messages of hate and then assaulting people, police and anyone who speaks against them simply wants to overthrow the government. Nothing less. There is no appeasing them.

Portland and Seattle know this and hope that by playing nice with them and not prosecuting those arrested (or slapping them on the wrist sometimes) maybe they will find something else to do. But it never happens. They just keep coming back.
That has nothing to do with an officer being held accountable for assaulting someone. If a cop can’t control their emotions and takes their anger out on citizens inappropriately then that is a crime. As a law and order type you should support that not be triggered by it.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
So here's the straight poop...
I've lived in Portland since December 2019. Before that I lived in one of the wealthiest zip codes in Kentucky and McMansionVille rural Central IL.

For starters, right click and launch this link from incognito mode. It does a decent job trying to get into the mindset and reasons on why people are homeless.

Asking why we have a homelessness problem is much like asking why American Healthcare is such a shit show. Answer, it's a lot of reasons and it's really complicated. It's not just drugs. It's not just mental health. It's not just housing prices. It's not just employment issues. It's not just people wanting to detach from society. It's all of that. It's none of that. It's a handful of them. And that reason changes wildly from person to person. You can't approach this the American way of saying X causes Y and throw some money at it, see that it doesn't work and throw your hands up and say "well at least we tried". Because that's usually the approach. Each person that is homeless has a very different reason they are there and require very different paths to reenter into society.

For a really bad analogy, think about adopted animals, particularly ones that have been abused. It takes months, if not years for the animal to start trusting you and and letting you pet it. Same thing applies to humans. There have been studies where they have brought people into shelters that are more like apartments with multiple bedrooms in a single unit. Some homeless people instead of staying in the bedrooms will go out and sleep in the hallways because they didn't trust where they were. It took months for them to get comfortable being around others. Now apply this to thousands of homeless. Add in drug addictions, chronic health issues, and general distrust and it's not something you can just scream away.

Specific to Portland. Yes we have problems. They were here before the pandemic. They got worse.
Homelessness specifically escalated once downtown work commuters and general pedestrian traffic slowed to a crawl. At one point downtown traffic was down 85% from previous year. Combine that with cleanup groups not operating because of a global pandemic and it got out of hand. There were several blocks downtown that looked like tent cities. With that comes trash, human waste and drug paraphernalia. There are several places around town that are large encampments. Usually on side street park ' n ride lots where they push in broken down vehicles and just start congregating. There's also places along bike trails where they build up since the trails are easy to navigate and setup in the woods along them.

I ride those trails multiple times a week, my wife does as well. Thousands of other people do every day as well. There's been no significant issues on the trails since I've lived here. I wouldn't want my kids or wife, or hell, even myself riding alone on their at night. But during the day, whatever. There's places with trash, but in a 25 mile ride, there's maybe 300 yards worth of trail that are sketch. That's it.

Around town they do build up under bridges and in some of the city parks. But you have to understand how big this city is and how little actual space these things actually occupy. It's a few streets that are block long in a downtown that's a couple miles long. It's 4-5 tents propped along an interstate wall.

There is a lot of trash. I have seen a takeout tray with human poo in it. I've had to dodge some needles on a sidewalk. Yep, that's something that happens. But welcome to humans. We have core needs of in-taking things to survive, and excreting them. We have vices to blunt the misery. Pretending it doesn't exist doesn't fix it. Telling them to move doesn't fix it. See that article. That article is a great analogy. It spends pages going over the problem, you find out the antagonist is evicted, only to pack up his stuff and move a couple feet from where he was.

Humans are programmed to survive. We also are programmed to push boundaries. That's how kids learn. Combine survival and boundary pushing and you see some of the ingenuity you do with homelessness.

My wife works with heart failure patients. Roughly 80% of her patient base are either currently on meth, or have used it recently. A huge number of that 80% have also had issues getting or staying in a permanent housing situation. Now add in medical bills and you see how this cycle starts.

America has a lot of issues. Very few people want to actually talk about them in good faith.

Last edited:

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
That has nothing to do with an officer being held accountable for assaulting someone. If a cop can’t control their emotions and takes their anger out on citizens inappropriately then that is a crime. As a law and order type you should support that not be triggered by it.

Who said anything about not holding bad cops accountable for their actions? I didnt. All of society supports this.

Reactions: JPS35

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
In regards to riots. Whatever. Stop freebasing Fox News and come here and visit. The thing last summer was fueled by an idiot Whitehouse administration that wanted a confrontation and they got it. It was a couple blocks in a very large city. Things going on right now are literally 15-20 assholes that just want attention. Don't give it to them. This place isn't a burning down hellscape. It doesn't have riots on every block. This is a city healing over the last 18 months of everything that happened. Where I live, it's just a bunch of chill hippies planting gardens in their front yard and riding bikes to get around. If there's any noise it's crows or song birds waking me up in the morning. Otherwise I step out on my back patio and it's just crazy how peaceful it is. No car noise, rarely ever a siren, just a lot of birds chirping and squirrels barking.

I don't want to hear about trash and other things being an issue. I lived in rural America for more than 20 years. I know how much trash farmers and poverty stricken white people can accumulate in their front yards. It's called trailer trash for a reason. I could drive through rural central IL and see properties littered with broke down cars, rusting tractors and just mountains of trash in their yards. It's just out in bum fuck no where so no one cares. Don't fling any rocks from those glass houses.

Nov 29, 2006
I had posted this before in another homeless thread. I feel it warrants discussion. Not saying it’s perfect, and could be improved or expanded on.

”A few homeless rehabilitation camps set up around the US would be nice. You house them, feed them, school them, treat them, etc until they are fit to join society as a productive member. They can refuse all those things, but they still have to stay there. Would probably be cheaper on a national level and is more ethical than just letting them live on the streets and piss on buildings and get into some bad drug habits or something.”

We treat murders and criminals better in prisons. Treating homeless better than criminals can’t be such a bad thing and probably cost a lot less.

Last edited:
Reactions: cytg111 and Leeea