The value of Portland debate (moved from OT)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
America has a lot of issues. Very few people want to actually talk about them in good faith.

bingo

there's so much fundamental disagreement as to what is causing the problem that i don't expect it to get any better in decades

instead, i'm planning to live in a place that the problem effectively doesn't exist

Reactions: Leeea

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Fascism has nothing to do with it. Not as we understand it. Todays agitators see America's very existence as "fascist".

ANTIFA, now an umbrella organization for all sorts of rioters, malcontents, and international agitators who go around from state to state burning, looting, blocking traffic, breaking windows, spray painting messages of hate and then assaulting people, police and anyone who speaks against them simply wants to overthrow the government. Nothing less. There is no appeasing them.

Portland and Seattle know this and hope that by playing nice with them and not prosecuting those arrested (or slapping them on the wrist sometimes) maybe they will find something else to do. But it never happens. They just keep coming back.

Here we go again with claiming that its actually them other doing what you are doing. You are leading the big lie. You stormed the Capitol. You propagate the Q bullshit. You want fascist minority rule. That is why you are trying to hack the election. the past election. future elections.
Dont be that fucking moron. For the love of god, dont be that fucking moron.

Reactions: Muse

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I've lived in central IL, Lexington KY, Omaha NE, Iowa City and Phoenix. And now here. There's no other place I want to be. Other than maybe a vacation home in Bend. Never in my life have I had access to everything I do here.

I live in the inner east side. My wife bikes to work. It's a 10 minute ride and she has a dedicated locker. I used to commute downtown on my bike before Covid. Now I work from home. My kids can walk to all three schools (Elementary, middle, high) and there's parks all around us. I can walk 20 minutes in any direction and have dozens of dining options, food carts, breweries, ect. It's amazing to have that within minutes of my house and not mess with parking. I rarely drive any more. In April I finally used up a tank of gas that I topped off last August. I just bike and use public transit. It's so liberating from the bumper to bump crawl I left in Lexington.

Weather here is so much better than any other place I've lived. Summers are fantastic and winters are mild compared to the midwest. When you look at the weather in the summer and see it sunny and 80. They mean it None of that humidity build up and afternoon thunderstorms in the summber I was used to. You don't have to plan to run out and roll up windows or pack up a picnic in a hurry. In the winter you get an hour or two sunshine gaps between storms. Since I work from home I can take advantage of those for a run or bike ride. It rarely dips below 40 in the winter so it's fine to go out.

I've got the amenities and access of an urban dense city minutes from me. But then I can drive 15 minutes and plop a paddle board on a river. Or hop on a bike and just stare at the river, Mt Hood, St Helens ect. It's beautiful scenery. Hop in a car and go even further east for some of the best hiking in the US or gravel bike riding. Go west and you have the coast. Go south and it's more hiking and wineries. Go north and you have Helen's, hiking, some awesome bike trails, ect. There's so much available here to enjoy.

Reactions: Muse, ponyo and Vic

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I had posted this before in another homeless thread. I feel it warrants discussion. Not saying it’s perfect, and could be improved or expounded on.

”A few homeless rehabilitation camps set up around the US would be nice. You house them, feed them, school them, treat them, etc until they are fit to join society as a productive member. They can refuse all those things, but they still have to stay there. Would probably be cheaper on a national level and is more ethical than just letting them live on the streets and piss on buildings and get into some bad drug habits or something.”

We treat murders and criminals better in prisons. Treating homeless better than criminals can’t be such a bad thing and probably cost a lot less.

100%
100%
Also. A similar technique may prove to work on foreign soil. I mean in regards to stemming the tides of unwanted immigration. Think what would happen if you were to provide security for the folk where they live.
Its so crazy it just might work!

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I've lived in central IL, Lexington KY, Omaha NE, Iowa City and Phoenix. And now here. There's no other place I want to be. Other than maybe a vacation home in Bend. Never in my life have I had access to everything I do here.

I live in the inner east side. My wife bikes to work. It's a 10 minute ride and she has a dedicated locker. I used to commute downtown on my bike before Covid. Now I work from home. My kids can walk to all three schools (Elementary, middle, high) and there's parks all around us. I can walk 20 minutes in any direction and have dozens of dining options, food carts, breweries, ect. It's amazing to have that within minutes of my house and not mess with parking. I rarely drive any more. In April I finally used up a tank of gas that I topped off last August. I just bike and use public transit. It's so liberating from the bumper to bump crawl I left in Lexington.

Weather here is so much better than any other place I've lived. Summers are fantastic and winters are mild compared to the midwest. When you look at the weather in the summer and see it sunny and 80. They mean it None of that humidity build up and afternoon thunderstorms in the summber I was used to. You don't have to plan to run out and roll up windows or pack up a picnic in a hurry. In the winter you get an hour or two sunshine gaps between storms. Since I work from home I can take advantage of those for a run or bike ride. It rarely dips below 40 in the winter so it's fine to go out.

I've got the amenities and access of an urban dense city minutes from me. But then I can drive 15 minutes and plop a paddle board on a river. Or hop on a bike and just stare at the river, Mt Hood, St Helens ect. It's beautiful scenery. Hop in a car and go even further east for some of the best hiking in the US or gravel bike riding. Go west and you have the coast. Go south and it's more hiking and wineries. Go north and you have Helen's, hiking, some awesome bike trails, ect. There's so much available here to enjoy.
NW living. Ain't it great!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I gotta say that I'm really sick and tired of my hometown being used as a political punching bag by lying ranting douchebags who have never even visited Portland.
Turn off Fox news. It's not that bad. And you don't have any solutions anyway.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
What keeps it great is people like you don't move there.
People like him can't and never will be able to afford to move to a city like Portland, which the source of their lies and hate.
They like to rant about commie Portland blah blah while they commute 1-2 hours to work here because there are no jobs in their small towns, just poverty, alcoholism, meth, and teen pregnancy. But Portland!

Reactions: obidamnkenobi

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
And you don't have any solutions anyway.

Conservatives are only interested in using problems in urban areas as tribal punching bags, they don't actually give a shit about a single person in those places. It's all just the worst faith imaginable.

Similar to vi, I grew up in central IL and spent lots of time in the poorer areas of the state. Despair, poverty, crime, violence, drugs, economic failure, you name it its all there just as much as the harder areas of any big city. There is also a severe current of open racism in that the people in those lives see them selves better than the black people in urban areas who face largely similar circumstances.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Conservatives are only interested in using problems in urban areas as tribal punching bags, they don't actually give a shit about a single person in those places. It's all just the worst faith imaginable.

Similar to vi, I grew up in central IL and spent lots of time in the poorer areas of the state. Despair, poverty, crime, violence, drugs, economic failure, you name it its all there just as much as the harder areas of any big city. There is also a severe current of open racism in that the people in those lives see them selves better than the black people in urban areas who face largely similar circumstances.
The real reason for the bad faith IMO is because, in addition to having much the same problems as cities, these small towns and rural areas often suffer from a far worse problem than homelessness. Which is empty houses.

Reactions: K1052

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
A guy I knew sold his condo and his business and moved to outside Bend, Oregon and rented a large piece of property. He is a big outdoors guy - mountain biking and skiing are his two loves. So he just does tons of that. Anyway I chatted with him on Instagram and talked a bit about politics. He is mixed race, but definitely an Asian looking dude, like a pretty tan Philippino look to him. Anyways, he's like out here he's even been called the N word before. He's like it doesn't matter to them, he may as well be black. Tons of racist rednecks. But he is there for the bike trails and the slopes, so he just lives a quiet life at his place. Plus I don't see a lot of those rednecks skiing, but who knows.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Um, yeah... Portland has its problems, and most of these are shared with other cities. Except perhaps for its greater tolerance of destructive social protest. but, yeah... Nobody should even think about moving to Portland or anywhere else in the Pacific Northwest. Thanks in advance. 👌

• Love
Reactions: skyking and JPS35
Nov 8, 2012
Um, yeah... Portland has its problems, and most of these are shared with other cities. Except perhaps for its greater tolerance of destructive social protest. but, yeah... Nobody should even think about moving to Portland or anywhere else in the Pacific Northwest. Thanks in advance.
We gladly won't. The criminals will keep reproducing though.... So... Enjoy ;)

Reactions: JPS35

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I don't want to hear about trash and other things being an issue. I lived in rural America for more than 20 years. I know how much trash farmers and poverty stricken white people can accumulate in their front yards. It's called trailer trash for a reason. I could drive through rural central IL and see properties littered with broke down cars, rusting tractors and just mountains of trash in their yards. It's just out in bum fuck no where so no one cares. Don't fling any rocks from those glass houses.

We spent a couple of days driving through rural W Virginia earlier this year and I have never seen so much garbage strewn around yards and along the road side. Literal piles of it. Not to mention a surprising number of burned out cars/rvs/boats and trailer homes in yards

We'll be in Portland in about a week so we can see how it compares to that glorious piece of Trumplandia

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
We spent a couple of days driving through rural W Virginia earlier this year and I have never seen so much garbage strewn around yards and along the road side. Literal piles of it. Not to mention a surprising number of burned out cars/rvs/boats and trailer homes in yards

We'll be in Portland in about a week so we can see how it compares to that glorious piece of Trumplandia
Meth and homelessness were never a big thing until the last 10 years or so where I live in smalltown WV. You see them walking and biking everywhere at all hours. Don't let the right wingers fool you. There are problems everywhere and they offer no solutions or empathy. This country has major problems.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Take pictures of the rampant crime and all the burnt husks of buildings left behind by Antifa.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

You make it sound great and all, but I'm guessing the sales tax must be really high there.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
You make it sound great and all, but I'm guessing the sales tax must be really high there.

Well, Oregon has no sales tax; a sizeable income tax instead. And if that's not what you want, then Washington has a sizeable sales tax but no income tax.

But I'm sure there are other reasons for not coming out here. 🤞

Reactions: skyking

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

HMU if you want to grab a beer or need any recommendations.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Yeah. No sales tax. High income tax. Property tax isn't awful depending on area. It can be pretty oppressive on the SW side. Car registration isn't terrible. Water bill is stupid expensive.

Biggest issue is housing. It's not cheap. Incomes scale a bit to account for it. But if you want a family home within easy commute to downtown be prepared to drop $700k+

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Yeah. No sales tax. High income tax. Property tax isn't awful depending on area. It can be pretty oppressive on the SW side. Car registration isn't terrible. Water bill is stupid expensive.

Biggest issue is housing. It's not cheap. Incomes scale a bit to account for it. But if you want a family home within easy commute to downtown be prepared to drop $700k+
I wouldn't have brought it up about the sales tax if I didn't know the answer. (thus the Dewey Cox video.... "You don't want none of this Dewey")

Yeah....housing is ridiculous out West and stupid covid is wrecking prices a lot of other places these days too. My street was mostly $160-200k houses for around $105/sq ft..... In the last year, that's spiked due to all the Northerners that have moved down South. Someone bought a house to flip a year or so ago....while they lived in it. They paid $160k for it, put on some siding, painted....renovated the rooms pretty basically and it's now priced at $360k. (probably looking for $300-320k) That's some California crap. My house is 3500 square feet and I don't want to pay taxes if they're going to start claiming it's worth $200/sq ft for more tax revenue.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I doubt Portland is bad as Baltimore, Md. Now that's a place that has proper shitholes and shit urban trash with the keenest of legal minds. They'd make fine lawyers. And even there, there are good neighborhoods peppered throughout the city.