The Unofficial Memory Foam/Visco Elastic/NASA Pillow Thread

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by: kkcleung
i got mine yesterday...
i suppose i'm not that used to it, but it's not as comfortable as I expected.. I'll give it osome time

I had one and used it for a few months then gave it to goodwill or something. Too firm for my tastes and why the hell are they always in this wave shape? What ever happened to rectangles? Anyway, they are not for everyone.

zervun

Aug 8, 2001
I ordered 2 regular shape mem foam pillows from Sharper Image during the 50% off sale. Incredible pillows, 5.5 lb foam. Very excellent. Much better than my costco novafoam, and smell was extremely minimal.

CatfishNRibs

May 2, 2002
I've had my Sensus 5lb memory foam mattress topper for 2 years now.....I've noticed that the mattress has faded into a yellowish color now instead of the original pink....anyone have a similar experience? Still works great but looks pretty ugly now...if only I could find a zipper cover for it.

misterj

Jan 7, 2000
any of you gurus care to make a webpage dedicated to this? i've been following these threads on and off for years and still am unsure of what to get for the family..

btw the only thing i'm using now is a simple regular foam topper , the rest is in the closet.

kaborka

Jan 17, 2000
I'm about to pop for a 4" Sensus CA-king pad from eBay seller "memoryfoamproducts". They also have a business named Happy2EZ in Orange Co, CA. so I can pick up locally. They have a mattress with a 4" Sensus 5# foam layer bonded to a 4" standard foam support layer. They claim this combo lasts longer than the 4" pad alone. I've asked them to explain why, so I'll update this later. I was going to get the Sensus pad alone and put it on a separate foam base, so I could turn the Sensus pad separately. I would think this would make it last longer.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Hehe. Probably. But it's great information so I hope it doesn't go away any time soon. (I'll be in the market for a new mattress in a few months and I'd really like to be able to refer back to this.)

DAC21

Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: tripperMM
What BUSH really meant:
"The American people are not intelligent enough nor do they have the fine training required to understand what is best for the country. We had to get involved in an illegal war and we needed to lie about the reasons because we have the power to take what is to our advantage. That's why a hidden group has seized power and is wielding it in our interests. Trust me, you are too dumb to understand."

god i hope that's a real quote. if it is, i'm using it EVERYWHERE!!!

Ahhhh, it's about as real as a three Dollar bill. But had it been true he was surely speaking directly to you. Further evidence that school vouchers could only be a good thing.

Now then... oh yes, foam rules

ygorl

Jun 10, 2005
So I've just done a serious comparison of the Overstock.com "deluxe memory foam mattress topper" (it comes with a little card that says "sleep comfort systems by Leggett and Platt") and the "memory foam mattress topper" from Target, made by Sleep Innovations.
Both were the two inch thick models, for a queen-sized bed.
The one from Target ($70) was several inches too small in both dimensions (you can tell by looking at the box; a queen-sized bed is 60" by 80", this thing says on the box 55" by 77"). From Overstock.com I got a nominal California King topper ($80), which is 70"x80" and can be cut down to the right size.
The Overstock topper is heavier foam, 4lb density; based on box weight, the Target topper is probably 2.5lb or so. However, the Target topper still manages to be more comfortable and more supportive. The Overstock topper seems to be more "regular foam" than "memory foam" and just sort of squishes down. I can sometimes even feel the springs of my bed through it.
Based on comfort, Target wins hands-down. Based on fitting the bed, buying from Overstock and trimming is the way to go.
As an aside, for those who don't know, the reviews on Overstock.com are totally bogus. They mostly only post the very positive reviews, with just one or two less-favorable ones thrown in to make it look legitimate.
I hope this is helpful.

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
Man, I got rid of a Sears Calif. King foam mattress that was more than 25 years old. I don't know what kind of foam it was.
I kept waiting for it to die. It never did. Gave it to Disabled Vets. Now I wish I had kept it and cut it down to a queen size (got rid of it b/c it was too large). That sucker was heavy--almost impossible for one person to handle it.
It was wonderful to sleep on.

Now I'm wondering what kind of foam it was....any ideas?

jewelrygal

Sep 3, 2004
OK, I have some feedback and a question.

I've had a real tempurpedic king bed for about 3 years and LOVE it. Got it off ebay before tempurpedic started cracking down on people selling demos on ebay, etc.

I also have real tempurpedic pillows and have tried the other brands--and don't think they compare, really, to tempurpedic. Too squishy and don't have the support, in my opinion.

So, now you can't get such great deals on ebay on beds anymore...but I did notice that some guys posting here were gonna get the memory foam beds that were on sale on Overstock.com. My daughter wants one and the prices are good, but those of you who did order from Overstock, what size did you get and how are you liking it?

jstack

Jun 12, 2004
Has anyone tried this pillow for costco?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as...odid=10028322&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1

I woke up one day a year and a half ago with an insanely stiff neck. I figured it was just temporary, but it is still very painful to this day. My cousin, who is a chiropractor, has adjusted my neck a few times but the pain is still there. I know for sure my old pillow created the problem. He mentioned getting one this memory foam pillows would help. I'm really praying it does because this pain is awful.

psiu

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003
Well, no risk really if it's from costco...try it for a month and if it works, good, if not take it back.

DON'T take it back in 6 years all sweaty and yellow and peed on by pets/kids and get your monry back (even thougvh they would probably let you).

deejayshakur

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2000
awesome thread, but i only got partway through ;)

i'm mainly looking for reviews on the overstock 3 and 4'' toppers for a student on a budget (probably going to put it on slightly raised frame). as long as it's decently comfortably and not too hard on my body, i'm cool. (i did search the thread before)

here's the one i'm looking at Text

thanks

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003
I picked up the JC Penny 5" extra firm base a few weeks ago. Been sleeping just on that recently and it feels pretty good. Now I'm trying to decide on a topper for it. I'm starting to lean towards latex for its long useable life and air circulation qualities. Sleeping on this piece of foam is definitely very hot. The latex topper is much more expensive but I'm thinking it might be worth it, especially since its supposed to last 20-30 years, which is probably about 5 times as long as memory foam.

Memoryfoam.com latex topper

Comments?

Mark

lungster

Jan 18, 2000
Might as well help keep this thread alive :)

I have a Sealy memory foam pillow from BJ's. I don't recall when I bought it but I'm tempted to say over a year ago and under two. It seems to be flattening as of late. Anyone know how long these pillows last ? Any recommendations that won't break the bank ?

TIA

PhaZe

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 1999
So the latex matresses are just as comfortable, less expensive, AND last longer?

HOW CAN I LOSE?

/homer

edit: I'm actually researching this for my parents who are looking to get one. But I'm starting to feel that I want one too but the price is a little to high for a student

LolotheBunny

Jul 19, 2005
Oh dear I'm sorry if this sounds lazy, I read to page 20 and then just pressed the skip button. A lot can happen in 2-3 years so is Tempur-Pedic still the best/most comfortable high density memory foam pillow? What about Ebay, the fact that they sell so many does have me worried about where they get them and for such low prices. I think it would be very helpful if we had a master list of the pillows that turned out great and were premium quality unfilled high density memory foam with their current price. Maybe I'll go research it a bit and check back when I know a bit more about what I'm talking about. Hooray for the great thread and thanks for the info from all that have posted and Thanks Atrac for being the official AnandTech pillow expert!

*edit* What are you sleeping on right now btw Atrac?