The Unofficial ASUS P5N-E SLI 650i Board Thread

Page 184 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tuvoc

May 3, 2004
I'll probably just leave it for a while. I see ASUS UK have a contact phone number so I'm going to phone them Monday and get an email address where I can email a support person directly. They need to fix it and issue a new BIOS. I'm not surprised in a way, because others have reported that some of the earlier BIOSs had problems with the multiplier as well, although the ones I tried were all OK.

If I try to go back to something, 0803 may be worth trying initially. "Shampoo" reports that the 4 x 1GB hole was fixed from then onwards

I will never buy an ASUS board again. If a manufacturer can't get something as basic as that right, I'll steer well clear of them.

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
I understand your frustration with ASUS, but I don't think that we have that much choice out there.

Gigabyte...? Read the thread about them right here...

MSI...? Perhaps. ABIT...? Maybe.

I think the main issue here is the chipset. NVidia chipsets are EXTREMELY problematic on Intel platform, and I have my own little "conspiracy theory" here.

Intel makes chipsets, and their chipsets seem to be more reliable. Hmmm...

Why would they want NVidia to be successful, especially that they don't let Intel in on SLI...?

But it is pure speculation on my part, so just ignore my blabber :p

Again, I believe that it is more of the chipset than ASUS issue.

Tuvoc

May 3, 2004
Originally posted by: JustaGeek

Again, I believe that it is more of the chipset than ASUS issue.

The 4 x 1 GB was definitely a chipset issue. ASUS incompetence in not being able to give proper multiplier control - that's an ASUS issue.

Tuvoc

May 3, 2004
I googled 0901 and the P5N-E SLI and founds lots of information. Including a 600 page thread on overclock.net forums, where the recommendation is that 0608 BIOS is usually the best for quads, although lots of positive comments on 0901 generally. Found one post on another forum where someone has the exact same problem as me, after updating to 0901 with QX6700 - can't increase the multiplier. I also found some posts on ASUS forum about a beta 1001 BIOS that a reseller had privately from ASUS. I've sent a tech request off to ASUS support reporting the problem, so I'm pretty hopeful ASUS might release another BIOS. I'm not going to backflash at the moment, having the 4 x 1GB memory hole issue solved is useful. Plus to backflash is complex, meaning I'll have to clear CMOS after the flash as usual, remove a memory stick because I'll then be in a no-boot situation with 4 sticks, change RAM setting to avoid the hole, re-fit the RAM and then OK. I can't be bothered with all of that any more. So its 0901 for now and hopefully a later BIOS from ASUS in due course. If they fix the multiplier issue AND the 4 x 1GB issue at the same time, that will be a perfect BIOS for me and there will never be the need to upgrade again. I'll also be pretty happy with the board then. Generally I'm in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" camp with a BIOS. None of my other machines run the very latest BIOSs, there has been no need to update them. But for this board it has always been broke.

hapoohspunkmeir

Apr 14, 2008
I'm new here and have a quick question regarding replacing the stock northbridge heatsink. I removed the heatsink and noticed that there is a insulation pad underneath, and only the center of the entire northbridge chip is actually making contact with the heatsink. The pad itself is used to insulate the other exposed circuits on the chip. So when I install the after market heatsink, so I still need this pad, or can I just directly place the entire heatsink to make contact with the entire northbridge chip. This probably will only make sense to someone who has actually removed the heatsink to know what I am talking about.

FYI, I was going to purchase the Thermaltake CL-COD34 northbridge cooler

Tuvoc

May 3, 2004
Thanks, yes I saw that. I'll wait a while for a new BIOS to fix the multiplier issue. ASUS Tech support have responded, saying they have passed it on to the appropriate department and for me to be patient..

Tish

Apr 15, 2008
Hello Guys,
Im new here and to most of the technical stuff you guys talk about. I have buit my second PC and although that wasn't a problem I am not familier with Flashing Bios.

I have been reading through your threads and I have the same memory hole issue a lot seem to have. I have 0703 Bios and it seems the problem is solved with the 0901. At the moment I am running 4x 1gb 800MHz at 667MHz anymore that that will not boot.

Please can someone advise how do I flash the Bios, only i am a bit worried about writing off completley. Any help but we greatly appreciated. Thank You.

ASUS P5N-E SLI (BIOS 0703)
Q6600 go @2.4gh
4x 1GB ADATA PC6400 800MHz DDR2
XFX 8500GT 512mb
Vista x64 SP1

Tuvoc

May 3, 2004
How I did it: downloaded the 0901 BIOS onto a memory stick. Booted the machine and entered the BIOS, and went into EZFlash and followed the instructions. After the flash, it was necessary to clear the CMOS using the jumper on the motherboard. Instructions for that in the manual. Just moved the jumper across for a few seconds and then back again. Didn't have to remove the battery. The machine is running beautifully on 0901, except that multiplier control is broken - it will only let me decrease the multiplier om my Quad Extreme CPU, whereas I should be able to increase it.

Tish

Apr 15, 2008
Hello, I dont have an EZFLASH, so I formatted a fgloppy and copied the Awdflash and the 0901 bin file.

When it asked for the file I typed in 0901 and it keeps telling me file not found. Could you tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks Again

Tish

Apr 15, 2008
Sorry this is what is showing on the floppy, is it correct.

0901 BIN Image
AWDFLASH application
DISPLAY. SYS system file
EGA.CPI cpi file
EGA2.CPI cpi file
EGA3.CPI cpi file
KEYB MS-DOS application
KEYBOARD.SYS system file
KEYBRD2.SYS system file
KEYBRD3.SYS system file
KEYBRD4.SYS system file
MODE MS-DOS application

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Tish
Sorry this is what is showing on the floppy, is it correct.

0901 BIN Image
AWDFLASH application
DISPLAY. SYS system file
EGA.CPI cpi file
EGA2.CPI cpi file
EGA3.CPI cpi file
KEYB MS-DOS application
KEYBOARD.SYS system file
KEYBRD2.SYS system file
KEYBRD3.SYS system file
KEYBRD4.SYS system file
MODE MS-DOS application

Try this:

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...d1=award+flash+command

Hope this helps.

EDIT:

"The only problem is that I renamed the 0608 file to P5NESLI.BIN in Windows. When I tried to use the AWDFLASH, it gave me an error "File not found".

I ran: A:\dir command, and it showed me the files AWDFLASH EXE and P5NES~2 BIN.

I used the "rename" command in DOS:

A:\ren P5NES~2.BIN P5NESLI.BIN

After that all went smoothly. "

Tish

Apr 15, 2008
Hello, Thanks for your advice I have now at last managed to flash the bios to 0901, thanks to you guys.

Problem is is has not resolved the memory issue. I can run 3x1 gb at 800MHZ however if I put the 4th stick in it will not display. Any settings I need to change please.

Thanks

ASUS P5N-E SLI (BIOS 0901)
Q6600 go @2.4gh
XFX 8500GT 512mb
Vista x64 SP1

Tuvoc

May 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Tish
Hello, Thanks for your advice I have now at last managed to flash the bios to 0901, thanks to you guys.

Problem is is has not resolved the memory issue. I can run 3x1 gb at 800MHZ however if I put the 4th stick in it will not display. Any settings I need to change please.

Thanks

Q6600 go @2.4gh
XFX 8500GT 512mb
Vista x64 SP1

Hmm.. it certainly solved my 4 x 1GB issue. Did you clear the CMOS after the flash ?
Is your Northbridge voltgae set to auto ? I've always used auto for that, and it still works at that setting for 800

Tish

Apr 15, 2008
Yeah I cleared the CMOS and had to put the date and everything. When I looked though the memory was still on manual at 667 I have changed that to auto now. Does this the CMOS did not clear.

All other settings I left alone, not sure what the northbridge is.

Tuvoc

May 3, 2004
Sounds like the CMOS did clear. What you do have to do is manually set the memory voltage and timings, that could be why it won't boot with 4 sticks

Tuvoc

May 3, 2004
Originally posted by: JustaGeek
@Tuvoc - if you haven't found it yet, this post describes the downgrade procedure from 0901:

http://www.overclock.net/intel...sli-6.html#post3489821

My faith in ASUS is restored ! The 1001 BIOS ASUS support in China sent me now gives me full multiplier control back, and the 4 x 1GB memory hole is still fixed. Perfect, I'm very happy. I should never need to flash the BIOS again on this board.

Tish

Apr 15, 2008
I dont know much about the memory settings, I know how to change them, but not what settimgs. What settings would you advise for my memory, please.

Q6600 go @2.4gh
XFX 8500GT 512mb
Vista x64 SP1

Tuvoc

May 3, 2004
I don't know about those modules - but conservative settings would be 5-5-5-18 2T and 2.085v. If they don't work at those setting, then they just won't work. I assume you have stock 266FSB with memory 800 ?

Tish

Apr 15, 2008
I tried those settings no luck, I upped the voltage to 2.25 and I got it to boot into bios but not windows. I upped again to 2.3 and it booted fine, after 10 mins it crahed. Have I put this too high or is there another setting that needs to be upped to balence it.

Q6600 go @2.4gh
XFX 8500GT 512mb
Vista x64 SP1

Tuvoc

May 3, 2004
2.3 is way too high, you run the risk of killing the RAM
2.2v may be OK but ideally needs some cooling on the RAM
2.1v is my personal maximum for long term use.

2T is the key with 4 sticks - did you set that ?
It may just be that your RAM is not that compatible with the board.

Ordskii

Nov 20, 2007
Hey Tuvoc - where might we get the 1001 bios?

I'd be happy to fix the hole in my memory. Happy for you, man!