The ULTIMATE poll on software piracy!

IdioticBuffoon

Sep 11, 2005
I want to know what are YOUR views on software piracy and downloading music. Yes, this is part of a school assignment :evil:
And one more thing .... repost nazis can DIAF :)

Ok the poll's been fixed.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
You forgot a 'absolutely fine with me' option for the music section. (just to keep things consistent)

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
What's the difference between

Wrong without artist's permission
Ok with artist's permission

and

Wrong under all circumstances
Wrong under all circumstances

monk3y

Lifer
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
Originally posted by: 3cho
you are an idiot because your second poll is "lopsided"

No, it's ULTIMATE.

LOL! dangit... everyone's staring at me because I'm ACTUALLY laughing at the computer screen.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: monk3y
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
Originally posted by: 3cho
you are an idiot because your second poll is "lopsided"

No, it's ULTIMATE.

LOL! dangit... everyone's staring at me because I'm ACTUALLY laughing at the computer screen.

:Q I got an actual lol? :D

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I'm a firm believer in trial. I try before I buy. Anything I download, if I like or keep, I later buy. Guaranteed.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Where is the "absolutely never ever to be done at work, but ok at home" option?

lol

I'm with CraigRT... too often, one of my kids wants to try some software that costs $150. I'm not going to spend $150 for something that one of them is going to use once or twice. So, I download the demo version. No demo version?? well, then, uhhh,...
I can state that *EVERY* program which I use regularly has been paid for. But, there are quite a few that I've used once or twice and decided weren't worth it. Generally, uninstalled at that point, although occasionally I'll forget to delete the download.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I refuse to vote because you're an idjit and your music poll is biased. For the record, I don't believe in copyrights, so figure out my answers for yourself.

Edit: Let me clarify the above: I don't believe in copyrights, but I will pay for somthing I think is worth paying for. Most software (games, I don't really have much use for apps), and movies are worth paying for.

Yes, artists deserve some kind of compensation, but the actions of the MPAA have made me come to believe that the world would be best served if we simply wiped all copyright laws off the books and did away with copyrights all together.

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
Your poll sucks.

I think its fine to download software as long as you will not be making money using it.

Who gives a sh!t about downloading music. F the RIAA. They really are the only bastards making money form it anyway.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I SUPPORT the piracy of movies and music with the caveat that it probably wouldn't sit so well with me if there was something out there WORTH paying 15$ for.. lol at blueray 30$+ a disc ROFL yeah right....

Morality of not supporting the brainwashing of american youth > morality of respecting convoluted and over arching "property rights"

I pay for the software I feel like paying for. There is little consistency to it. I have often been in the quandary of running legit shareware on a pirated OS. I buy 99% of my games nowadays and take the most liberal interpretation of my workplace's site licences I can so I run quasi-legit productivity and operating systems at home.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
more people think its fine to pirate software than music????

or is it like that because the poll was screwed up and not many people voted for the music one?

darkdemyze

Dec 1, 2005
This pole is dumb..
I don't do it myself anymore, but nor do I disaprove of it. Whether or not it's approved of, people are going to do it anyway. To each his own I say..

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I'm not going to lie and say I've never download or copied a copyrighted program. ;)

But I will tell you truthfully that if I find a program or OS to be of use to me, whether it's copyrighted or even just shareware, I will, and do, go out and buy it.

A number of years ago, you used to be able to go into your local computer store and try out a piece of software there in the store to find out if you were going to like it or not, instead of just going into a chain store and hoping you were going to like it from the description on the box. :roll: Unfortunately, many of the local shops have been put out of business by the large chains, and that try-before-you-buy feature is gone. :(

It is that very feature that I miss most about the local shops, and one of the reasons I'd consider dl'ing a program to try for a limited time before buying it. Certainly, if a demo exists, I will by all means try that, but not every program has a demo available.

I would never support NOT paying for software one uses as that would be stealing.