The Tesla 3 will probably be a bust

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
- solar city merger is a huge money draining distraction with negligible near or medium term synergies.

- mass production of 500k cars, many of which will be the primary vehicle, will be difficult

- all glass roof looks like the Model X's hubris.

- thanks to all glass roof, the trunk is like, nothing.

https://goo.gl/images/M8injD

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I don't know what you define a bust. It will sell, it's a Tesla. They will not be able to deliver anything close to the amount of cars pre-ordered. They are busy small company but I'm sure it will be a fine electric vehicle.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
- solar city merger is a huge money draining distraction with negligible near or medium term synergies.

- mass production of 500k cars, many of which will be the primary vehicle, will be difficult

A lot of people have lost money betting against Elon Musk over the years.

Reactions: KingstonU

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I have a reservation on a Model 3. Pretty sure they will have a lot of production issues ironed out by time I even get notified that we are 45 days out from the build.

350,000 pre-orders is a problem that a lot of companies would love to have.

Reactions: Bubbleawsome

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

It's an electric vehicle, under the hood is also a trunk

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Profoundly disagree. None of those things would sway me from a Model 3 (if I were a customer, that is). OP is just looking to stir up trouble I think.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
They will probably sell as many as they can make. Question is if they can make enough?

Trunk doesn't bug me that much, but the lack of gauges or a hud is annoying.

tortillasoup

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2011
They will probably sell as many as they can make. Question is if they can make enough?

They didn't demo the HUD but I'm sure it will have one.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

This can they make enough will still controlling the cost of production and quality.

If they can produce a $35k 200 mile range EV and still make a profit they will have a hit on their hands.

Hopefully they keep Musk far away from decision making on the design of the vehicle. Let the people that know how to mass produce cars do their job.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
They didn't demo the HUD but I'm sure it will have one.

I saw a video of a test drive and they were bragging about how the landscape 15" monitor allow them to put your speed in your peripheral vision. Maybe it'll be an option... Tesla seems big on the options like the Germans.

Guurn

Dec 29, 2012
They recently hired a guy to head the heads up display area for their cars. It'll work fine. It's old technology and theirs will probably be an awesome version of it.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002

expansion won't be a problem

Much of the 370-acre (16,000,000 sq ft; 1,500,000 m2) site is unused, with most activity concentrated in the 5,500,000-square-foot (510,000 m2) main building that does the final assembly of vehicles.[12]

Various parts of the NUMMI plant were planned to be modified to support Tesla vehicle production. For example, the passenger vehicle paint equipment was to be extensively modified through late 2011.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
It's an electric vehicle, under the hood is also a trunk

This is like nothing.

Ce7oRJeWAAAsKjU.jpg:large

From the start I've been perplexed by the glass roof. It is so unnecessary and should be reserved for high end cars like the Model X. For their mainstream hit, all they need to do is to make the barest bone econocar with the biggest battery. Literally all they needed to do was to make a streamlined model s. Instead, they put in this glass roof which I bet will get cracked early on (despite all of the engineering tests) and which greatly limits available cargo trunk space.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
I do not have one pre ordered, but the OP is clearly click baiting with that title.

I also don't get it, it wont succeed because the trunk opening is small??? I do agree the glass top was a bit of an odd choice, but I don't think it will fail like you're thinking.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
I do not have one pre ordered, but the OP is clearly click baiting with that title.

I also don't get it, it wont succeed because the trunk opening is small??? I do agree the glass top was a bit of an odd choice, but I don't think it will fail like you're thinking.

You've heard of the problems with the Model X? The glass roof is going to crack a lot, especially when you have 300k cars. Building quality execution is different from designing the most outlandish designs. There's a reason why none of the big automakers like Toyota, Honda, Ford, have all glass roofs.

HarryLui

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
You've heard of the problems with the Model X? The glass roof is going to crack a lot, especially when you have 300k cars. Building quality execution is different from designing the most outlandish designs. There's a reason why none of the big automakers like Toyota, Honda, Ford, have all glass roofs.

A big chunk of glass like that is expensive even if its not any more likely to crack than a normal back window. A normal hatchback would have been cheaper to build and more useful.

Palvaran

Apr 13, 2002

---- This isn't really relevant to the success of the Model 3. This was a move to diversify and provide a different product portfolio for Tesla.

---- True. Scale up is difficult, but then again, the factory in Fremont is a monster that Toyota and GM used and which can build the number of vehicles. The question is the batteries needed which is what the Gigafactory in Nevada provides. Plus, Tesla spent 2 Billion of the nearly 4 Billion they made on preorders to scale up everything I believe.

---- I am not sure how glass is hubris.

---- Keep in mind, this is not a final production ready vehicle. This is a preproduction concept vehicle and things change. Also, bear in mind you have a second trunk in the front of the vehicle.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
This is like nothing.

Ce7oRJeWAAAsKjU.jpg:large

From the start I've been perplexed by the glass roof. It is so unnecessary and should be reserved for high end cars like the Model X. For their mainstream hit, all they need to do is to make the barest bone econocar with the biggest battery. Literally all they needed to do was to make a streamlined model s. Instead, they put in this glass roof which I bet will get cracked early on (despite all of the engineering tests) and which greatly limits available cargo trunk space.

With all due respect, at this point, if someone says they are perplexed at something Tesla or Elon Musk is doing, then I assume it's them failing to understand.. not Elon doing something stupid.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
If they can produce a $35k 200 mile range EV and still make a profit they will have a hit on their hands.

That's a huge IF, but yeah, if they can pull that off, it'll be a game-changer. Can't wait to see production actually start on the Model 3.

tweakmonkey

Mar 11, 2013
tweak3d.net
I think the biggest problem with this car is tesla can't turn a profit selling a $90k car. How are they going to make a profit selling a car with similar construction and materials for less than half the cost?

I realize the Model 3 is smaller and not as fancy but even then...