The TeAm's Great BBQ Recipe Compendium

Page 152 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com

Thanks for the pics! I love Alaska, and I don't even fish. What a great place during the "summer" there :)

If it wasn't for family, I think I'd be there.

What were you doing in those pictures? I get you built something and put a trailer in there, but what was the goal? :)

Last edited:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Rain-drowned salmon - for anyone?
When I was BBq-ing the salmon today, a terrentious rainfall almost drowned the grill (temps dropped approx 100ºC), me and one of the cats. The rain was so hard that it cooled down the lid of the grill so it stopped steaming after approx 5 minutes.
BTW: the salmon turned out totally good anyway.

Recipe: BBQ a salmon according to any other recipe. Dance a rain dance for a 15 minutes long, sever rain with a few lightnings. When the steaming stops continue for 10 more minutes and eat.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
I salt and pepper (sea salt and fresh ground black pepper) the salmon fillets then put them on a hot grill skin side down. I drizzle real butter over the fillets. Sometimes I add dill.
Cook it until it's almost done then remove from grill, it continues cooking after it's plated.
Fresh salmon is best, right after catching it.
Over cooking is the worst - don't over cook the salmon, also applies to halibut.

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
I fully agree, Wiz.
Overcooked salmon is similar to a dry rag ...

I once had a salmon steak baked in its own juices in parchment paper. It had the texture of sushi. It was delicious!

It was a Creole restaurant. They called it, "Salmon en Parchette" <sp?>

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
I salt and pepper (sea salt and fresh ground black pepper) the salmon fillets then put them on a hot grill skin side down. I drizzle real butter over the fillets. Sometimes I add dill.
Cook it until it's almost done then remove from grill, it continues cooking after it's plated.
Fresh salmon is best, right after catching it.
Over cooking is the worst - don't over cook the salmon, also applies to halibut.

I tried this for lunch today: the best salmon I ever ate! thanks for the receipe!

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007

I think overcooking applies to most foods. Steak, pork, chicken, most fish, shrimp, clams. :p

I had the most perfectly grilled swordfish steak in the past 2 weeks. Nice and seared on the outside, and juicy and tender on the inside. Served with some arugula, fresh mozzarella, and fresh tomatoes. (I didn't grill it though...)

compudog

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2001
All of these fish ideas sound wonderful. But I must wait until Sunday 8/5 to grill something. I have to work tonight. :thumbsdown:

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
OT: More than 200 000 views of this thread ... Are we good?

Not until at least 250k :p

On topic - I am looking at getting a Weber Genesis grill. I am concerned that my lackadaisical approach to grill maintenance will doom the cast iron grates to an early death, and so the stainless steel grates are attractive from a durability standpoint. The two I looked at, the 310 and the S310 - the S310 seemed like it would last longer as the flavorizer bars are stainless too.

Is that a negative from a grilling/taster perspective, however?

Or... should I just cheap out and get the Spirit 210? Is 2x the investment worth it? I have a wood pellet grill that I do my steaks, chops, pizzas and stone baking (cookies!) on currently, so I just want a good burgers, brats and dogs gas grill as the wood pellet fuel is expensive and it takes some 10 minutes to get the grill even close to dialed up... Opinions and suggestions welcome!

Last edited:

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
All these fish recipes have gotten me thinkin'...

I can't cook worth of a crap, but if you ever make it down to South Padre I highly recommend deep-sea fishing. Take the fish back to one of the local seafood restaurants (I think we went to la Jaiba but any of them will do it for you) and they'll cook it however you like. It's truly unbelievable to taste the difference between 1-3 day old fish at the supermarket and 1 hour old fish that you just caught... I normally don't get too excited about fish, but I still remember my last taste that night 6 years ago.

compudog

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2001
Not until at least 250k :p

On topic - I am looking at getting a Weber Genesis grill. I am concerned that my lackadaisical approach to grill maintenance will doom the cast iron grates to an early death, and so the stainless steel grates are attractive from a durability standpoint. The two I looked at, the 310 and the S310 - the S310 seemed like it would last longer as the flavorizer bars are stainless too.

Is that a negative from a grilling/taster perspective, however?

Or... should I just cheap out and get the Spirit 210? Is 2x the investment worth it? I have a wood pellet grill that I do my steaks, chops, pizzas and stone baking (cookies!) on currently, so I just want a good burgers, brats and dogs gas grill as the wood pellet fuel is expensive and it takes some 10 minutes to get the grill even close to dialed up... Opinions and suggestions welcome!

The Weber is a good choice. Stainless is fine for cooking on. Cast iron, as you stated, needs maintenance. What cast iron once seasoned, will provide is a more-or-less non-stick coating. Again, this is maintenance to get it right. I have a charcoal hibachi, all cast, and is excellent but take lots of maintenance, more time and work. I also have a gas grill with stainless burners, "flavorizer bars" and grates and it cooks fast and does a decent job with low maintenance. Taste is subjective when comparing gas to gas and cast to stainless. I personally don't notice any difference with a gas grill with cast or stainless. Charcoal on the other hand is completely different.

I would like to get one of the new ones with the infrared. But my Weber stainless is still holding up fine and can't justify replacing it at this time.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Today, Monday, I shall bbq something.
Saturday I made cheese cracker crusted Halibut and Salmon.
Today it will be beef or pork - I'll see what looks good at the market.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
When I moved out of my condo last week, the 4 year old gas grill I had didn't make the move. It was rusting out pretty badly the last year and I didn't want to dump any money into it since it wasn't that great a grill.
Got home from work yesterday and my garage door was opened. A large Weber box was right in the middle of the floor. Dad dropped off my house warming gift.
Tonight I get to put together my Weber Spirit 310.

At least this grill will last 10+ years and not rust out on me (parts are readily available too).

Now I need to decide what to grill for dinner Friday.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
I just bought 5 grills yesterday for $99 each at Home Depot. Coincidentally, the Weber Spirit 310 is $499. In another amazing coincidence, my grill(s) got 1 star ratings at home depot's web site. 1*5 =5 stars, which is the same number that the Weber Spirit 310 was rated.

Grats dude, that's a nice one.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
When I moved out of my condo last week, the 4 year old gas grill I had didn't make the move. It was rusting out pretty badly the last year and I didn't want to dump any money into it since it wasn't that great a grill.
Got home from work yesterday and my garage door was opened. A large Weber box was right in the middle of the floor. Dad dropped off my house warming gift.
Tonight I get to put together my Weber Spirit 310.

At least this grill will last 10+ years and not rust out on me (parts are readily available too).

Now I need to decide what to grill for dinner Friday.

That is awesome!!!! I can't wait until we can move and have room for grilling and such. Having no yard makes it hard to grill.

On a side note: I'm trying to get Liz to post her gumbo recipe, of which she has modified it to be gluten free, and you can't tell. It is absolutely wonderful. We went to Ren Faire this year with a pot full of gumbo -- it was wonderful.

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
Hmmm... I haven't grilled in a long time. But then again, I haven't shopped for food in almost 2 months. :p (I work at a food joint).

But I had Carne Asada, Pollo Asado, and Chorizo at my coworker's house on his huge charcoal grill. Delicious. I want to borrow his grill to smoke some ribs...