'The stupefaction of a nation'

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
We live at a time when capitalism's inner demons are beginning to be exhumed from the catacombs of the human ego, when love for the almighty dollar and her sister greed blinds those basking in the hypnotizing light of greenbacks and materialism. This phenomenon, combined with the addictions spurred by power and pomposity, has created in the last several decades a need by the powerful elite to manipulate and condition the masses; to transform and mold us into subservient drones that neither think, question, participate or demand.

Interesting read

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I don't know. He hearkens to a time when we were democratic thinking participants. I wonder if such a time ever existed. Seems to me we were founded by a very elite and uncommon cream. Haven't the masses always been asleep.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I think the author hits on a number of interesting points and raises a number of concerns that I share, but not just for the US Media.

In an interesting coincidence, the NRA wants to establish its' own News Station. Its' expressed purpose is so it can disseminate Info as it sees fit. It seems that besides Media concentration, the idea of programming News towards a Philosophical/Political Market(Fox) has become all the rage. How long until everyone listens/watches "News" that seeks not to offend or simply re-enforce a groups opinion?

Does not bode well to the continued existance of the Press. :(

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: sandorski
I think the author hits on a number of interesting points and raises a number of concerns that I share, but not just for the US Media.

In an interesting coincidence, the NRA wants to establish its' own News Station. Its' expressed purpose is so it can disseminate Info as it sees fit. It seems that besides Media concentration, the idea of programming News towards a Philosophical/Political Market(Fox) has become all the rage. How long until everyone listens/watches "News" that seeks not to offend or simply re-enforce a groups opinion?

Maybe not, but it's easy to rant about the NRA when not realizing that 5 radio stations are to be bought by a 'Central (hot)Air network' to present a "progressive" voice.

Having to buy media outlets to force your views....sad really. I thing the NRA doing this is stupid just as I think the Liberals trying to buy radio stations is stupid. Time will tell though...people still have to listen/tune in to make an outlet a "success".

CkG

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

Maybe not, but it's easy to rant about the NRA when not realizing that 5 radio stations are to be bought by a 'Central (hot)Air network' to present a "progressive" voice.

Having to buy media outlets to force your views....sad really. I thing the NRA doing this is stupid just as I think the Liberals trying to buy radio stations is stupid. Time will tell though...people still have to listen/tune in to make an outlet a "success".

CkG

Not ranting about the NRA, just the corruption of the "Press". ;)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

Not ranting about the NRA, just the corruption of the "Press". ;)

Understood and agreed. :)

CkG

CrazyHelloDeli

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2001
One Part Rant
Two Part Rave
A hearty dollup of Paranoia
And a pinch of Corprate Conspiracy

Neither original or thought provoking. But maybe ive been brainwashed into dismissing articles like this. Oh Well! :D

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
One Part Rant
Two Part Rave
A hearty dollup of Paranoia
And a pinch of Corprate Conspiracy

And 100% condescension. Yet another author who thinks the American public (unlike him, of course) is too stupid to figure things out and make up their own minds without his help. What an arrogant prick.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
"Having to buy media outlets to force your views....sad really."

I dunno, it's worked pretty well for Rupert Murdoch and a host of other so-called conservatives.

I'll agree that the whole thing is a bit of a diatribe, and that the site generally preaches to the anti-Bush choir. On the other hand, some of it is thought provoking-

" Many low and middle-class citizens, through propaganda, manipulation and constant bombardment by incessant repetition of sound-bite slogans and visual imagery end up supporting those interests that are contrary to their own socioeconomic well-being."

Of course, this kind of thinking won't have much effect on those caught by the catch-phrases...

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Jhhnn

I dunno, it's worked pretty well for Rupert Murdoch and a host of other so-called conservatives.

That isn't what I mean. "Issue" groups specifically buying media outlets to air their view is different from a business man who owns a conglomerate of media. He is not using it expressly for some ideological view - he's doing it for the money - you know - a business. This "progressive" 'Central (hot)Air network' is specifically buying 5 stations to push their specific agenda as is the NRA.

CkG

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
People are completely unaware how deeply they are brainwashed. They are so completely unaware that they are completely unaware that they are unaware.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
People are completely unaware how deeply they are brainwashed. They are so completely unaware that they are completely unaware that they are unaware.

Confusing "session" today with your therapist?;)

CkG

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Exactly!...umm, what? ;)

A good con is one you think is totally legit. (someone said something like that)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Exactly!...umm, what? ;)

A good con is one you think is totally legit. (someone said something like that)

Caddy uses self hypnosis, the notion that I'm in need of therapy, to protect himself from the realization that's his own feeling about himself projected on me. See, we don't know even when we're told explicitly. If it didn't mean we are going extince it would be halarious.

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000

That isn't what I mean. "Issue" groups specifically buying media outlets to air their view is different from a business man who owns a conglomerate of media. He is not using it expressly for some ideological view - he's doing it for the money - you know - a business. This "progressive" 'Central (hot)Air network' is specifically buying 5 stations to push their specific agenda as is the NRA.

CkG

So now being liberal is the equivalent of being an "issue group". I could of sworn it was an ideology, made up of many issues, guess I was wrong.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: SViscusi

CkG

So now being liberal is the equivalent of being an "issue group". I could of sworn it was an ideology, made up of many issues, guess I was wrong.

'Central (hot)Air network' is a group specifically buying radio stations to further it's agenda - just like the NRA is a group which is buying an outlet to push it's agenda - got it?
Yes - the 'Central (hot)Air network' is taking their liberal issues agenda and trying to buy radio stations to push their agenda - they've stated as much.:p

CkG

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000

CkG

'Central (hot)Air network' is a group specifically buying radio stations to further it's agenda - just like the NRA is a group which is buying an outlet to push it's agenda - got it?
Yes - the 'Central (hot)Air network' is taking their liberal issues agenda and trying to buy radio stations to push their agenda - they've stated as much.:p

CkG

But so has Rupert Murdoch. You can't just dismiss him with 'oh he's just a buisness man'. Every single new source he has from Fox, to The Weekly Standard, to the Post, to The Sun is conservative. He most certainly is using it to push his agenda.

Here's an example. Every single editorial page of his 132 worldwide newspapers came out in favor of the War in Iraq. Not a one dissented. Another is the near complete lack of negative coverage of the FTC decision to up media owenership limits.

He does push his conservative agenda all the time.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

CkG

But so has Rupert Murdoch. You can't just dismiss him with 'oh he's just a buisness man'. Every single new source he has from Fox, to The Weekly Standard, to the Post, to The Sun is conservative. He most certainly is using it to push his agenda.

Here's an example. Every single editorial page of his 132 worldwide newspapers came out in favor of the War in Iraq. Not a one dissented. Another is the near complete lack of negative coverage of the FTC decision to up media owenership limits.

He does push his conservative agenda all the time.

Right... Yeah big bad Murdoch:p You people really need to loosen your beanies.
You can try all you want to say Murdoch is doing it but then you'd also have to say that about anyone who owns a media outlet. You don't seem to see the difference between the purposeful purchase of media only to further their agenda((which both the ChAN and NRA admit) and those who own wide conglomerates of media...you know...business people driven by profits(Murdoch, Turner, and the rest)

Anyway - what I said stands. the Central (hot)Air Network is a Liberal group who is trying to buy stations for the express purpose of pushing their agenda - just like the NRA is a group who is buying an outlet to push it's agenda.

CkG

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Cad, you really think Murdoch is not trying to push a conservative agenda? Really? While I rarely agree with you, I respect that you are an intelligent guy with actual thought behind your views, but I'm really surprised you feel Murdoch is not doing exactly what you accuse the other side of doing.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Right... Yeah big bad Murdoch:p You people really need to loosen your beanies.
You can try all you want to say Murdoch is doing it but then you'd also have to say that about anyone who owns a media outlet. You don't seem to see the difference between the purposeful purchase of media only to further their agenda((which both the ChAN and NRA both admit) and those who own wide conglomerates of media...you know...business people driven by profits(Murdoch, Turner, and the rest)

Anyway - what I said stands. the Central (hot)Air Network is a Liberal group who is trying to buy stations for the express purpose of pushing their agenda - just like the NRA is a group who is buying an outlet to push it's agenda.

CkG

In other words it's OK in your book to push your agenda, as long as you don't start off with the express intent to do so. Do I have that right?