The South Park game trailer

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHbF3FHPvL4

It looks hilarious. I'll admit that I know nothing about the game though since I havn't even looked at it. I have the feeling it's going to be one of those play once and never touch again games. (kind of like the ghostbusters game).

I guess I should go look it up and find out.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I don't think we knew when it was coming out before THQ was liquidated.

Ubisoft owns the rights now, and it sounds like it is still going to be made.

It was scheduled for March 5th iirc. The game was nearly done as well and would have been finished regardless at this point. We wont see the game for at least a few months now probably since Ubi is just now getting brought up to speed on it and such.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Based on what I see at ~1:20 it looks like it's classic turn based combat. The only time I've ever found this enjoyable is in the Mario & Luigi RPGs where there were still some timing elements to the combat. Otherwise it bores the hell out of me.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
Based on what I see at ~1:20 it looks like it's classic turn based combat. The only time I've ever found this enjoyable is in the Mario & Luigi RPGs where there were still some timing elements to the combat. Otherwise it bores the hell out of me.

I think you might be right. There are actually 2 or 3 scenes that are only shown for a second or 2 that look like they are lined up Final Fantasy style for turned-based combat. I've never been apposed to turn-based though. I rather like it in some cases. As long as it's not as stupid as just giving and receiving blows until the fight is over. I do hope for something a little more innovative than what has been done before though. If it's a clone of a FF2 battle then I would facepalm during the entire game.

Plimogz

Oct 3, 2009
The trailer sure has the Southpark episode feel. And while how meaningless this is to the game as a whole remains to be seen, I really wouldn't mind much with regards to the combat system or whatever, so long as the voices, jokes and story are properly "Southparkian".

But I agree with the above with regards to there being some hints at standard side-view RPG combat screens. Though the one scene with Kyle advancing into enemies with the golf club from close to an over-the-shoulder view could also be construed as a possible combat mode.

Maybe they're going for more of a mini-game based game like other cartoon/movie based games have done in the past. I remember some console Simpsons games, a good Die Hard game and at least one LOTR game that would change playstyle level by level. The idea has its merits, although it usually ends up in a "Jack of all trades, master of none" netherworld of mediocre gaming.

I find that it's actually pretty cool that with Southpark being made the way it is, and with technology being at the point where it is today; that we can realistically hope to be playing an epic episode like Go God Go, Imagination Land or Pandemic/Pandemic 2: The Startling in real time HD.

Unfortunately I doubt that this will be sufficiently ground breaking to have that actual show feel outside of cutscenes and such.

Still, with a strong script and story from the writers and an even mildly entertaining combat/item system, I really can't see myself passing this one up.

Heh heh, I wonder if the contract they had with Isaac Hayes would allow them to use previous recordings of Chef to throw the character in based on canned sound-bites. The show they did with fragments of previous recordings patched together to create his lines was comically halting, but in video game format, it really could work. Have a ghost, or zombie, or whatever, of Chef in there...

But I don't suppose that's at all likely to happen. Although Darth Chef works well enough and doesn't depend on Hayes being in good terms with them, or alive for that matter.

nanobreath

May 14, 2008
Game was delayed about a month by the acquisition by UBI. The game was on schedule, and would have been released on time, but was delayed slightly because of the new publisher. How weird is that though, a publisher giving a developer MORE time.