The soft left summed up in under four minutes.

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
You guys fit the OP so very well. I mean it in what I thought was clear, the true institutionalized racism today is against the white male. FACT.

I've also acknowledged racism exists against minorities as well, and that's not right. But it isn't institutionalized like it is against white males today, but it exists and is a problem.

Bullshit.

The American South (and to a lesser extent, the rest of the nation) has had racism so pervasive for it's entire existence that it is de facto institutionalized even if it's no longer codified.

You act like white men are so discriminated against in hiring based on your personal anecdotes, but on more than one occasion I've heard Good Ol' Boys state firmly that they would never hire/work with/work for a "n igger".

Reactions: ch33zw1z and pmv

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
As I said, "You guys can pretend all you want, get hung up in semantics or "gotcahas". The simple fact of it is one demographic is given an upper hand while another suffers for it. If you don't think this is racism, then imagine if this was openly and systematically done to help white males get jobs and hire less minorities. You better believe it'd be called racism. You guys live in a leftist fantasy land."

Gotta love straight white male crybabies. As a group we're more likely to be employed, make more money & have greater wealth than women, blacks & Latinos. We're not inherently superior to any of those other people, are we?

If you think privilege plays no part in that then you probably voted for Trump & may be interested in some Arizona oceanfront, too.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hypothetically, if you went up to 10 random minorities and told them that you truly believe that neither of you are superior because of your race, but, there is this job opening you both want and you are both equally qualified for. Thing is, you will get the job because you're white and they will not get the job because they're black, Latino, Native American, etc. etc., do you honestly believe those people wouldn't think that is racist? That is affirmative action. You can cling to a dictionary definition like a Christian to marriage all you want, but you are wrong, plainly wrong.
Doesn't affirmative actually only apply to applications to some colleges? I didn't think it was ever applied (via government force) to private or public hiring?

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Hypothetically, if you went up to 10 random minorities and told them that you truly believe that neither of you are superior because of your race, but, there is this job opening you both want and you are both equally qualified for. Thing is, you will get the job because you're white and they will not get the job because they're black, Latino, Native American, etc. etc., do you honestly believe those people wouldn't think that is racist? That is affirmative action. You can cling to a dictionary definition like a Christian to marriage all you want, but you are wrong, plainly wrong.
That is because whites have a built in advantage in American society due to race. This is the reason why whites attain better educational and employment outcomes relative to every protected minority class despite programs to try to help these groups attain better outcomes. Yes, the group with the built in advantages getting additional advantages would be considered racism because it demonstrates a belief of racial superiority. Not only do we have all the advantages built into society, but we should be given preferential treatment on top of that!

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
That is because whites have a built in advantage in American society due to race. This is the reason why whites attain better educational and employment outcomes relative to every protected minority class despite programs to try to help these groups attain better outcomes. Yes, the group with the built in advantages getting additional advantages would be considered racism because it demonstrates a belief of racial superiority. Not only do we have all the advantages built into society, but we should be given preferential treatment on top of that!

What you just did is try to provide justification for systematic racism. Think that's any different then the same racism you and I both hate? The only difference is I see the left's racism, too.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
What you just did is try to provide justification for systematic racism. Think that's any different then the same racism you and I both hate? The only difference is I see the left's racism, too.
Yes, it is different because one is racism and one isn't. One is designed to help an oppressed minority out of a belief that all races are equal, the other is designed to oppress an already oppressed minority out of a belief that one race is superior to another. I can't help it if you are incapable of understanding the basic definition of racism. I gave you the definition, but if you lack basic reading comprehension skills, I've done all I can.

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
Yes, it is different because one is racism and one isn't. One is designed to help an oppressed minority out of a belief that all races are equal, the other is designed to oppress an already oppressed minority out of a belief that one race is superior to another. I can't help it if you are incapable of understanding the basic definition of racism. I gave you the definition, but if you lack basic reading comprehension skills, I've done all I can.

I really wish you and your likes would have left it alone... I had him by his fucking balls.

But you are taking the heed on this... so go ahead, just try to be more intelligent than this utter retarded idiocy.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
You guys can pretend all you want, get hung up in semantics or "gotcahas". The simple fact of it is one demographic is given an upper hand while another suffers for it. If you don't think this is racism, then imagine if this was openly and systematically done to help white males get jobs and hire less minorities. You better believe it'd be called racism. You guys live in a leftist fantasy land.

This is like complaing how some people are getting free GPUs and money from NV after manufacturing defects killed their cards and you as an AMD buyer aren’t.

You were not harmed (and in fact benefited) from the governments illegal discrimination but minorities were harmed.

In a perfect world, I’d agree that affirmative action is discriminatory (barely). This isn’t that world. The US citizens harmed by the illegal actions of local, state, and federal government need a remedy for harms committed. If you don’t approve I would consider voting for politicians who will have th government follow the laws and not discriminate in the first place. Then we all don’t have to end up paying.

Finally how did you(and I) benefit? Assuming you did not recently emigrate here you’ve benefited from structural racism. You, your parents, grandparents, etc are better off than they would have been without racism.

They did not have to compete with as many (or any) qualified minorities for their jobs or for homes in better areas. They had more money which means your parents and then you started off better. Parental wealth his hugely correlated with academic success.

Even if your particular family is dirt poor they are less dirt poor than they would have been without discrimination while the equivalent minority family is more poor.

Plus I haven’t even touched on the cognitive load from poverty and discrimination nor the more obvious impacts from blatant discrimination.

So while none of choose to be born nor did we choose to pick the benefits and damages from structural discrimination we still have them. Until you can see 9 minority members or 9 female members of SCOTUS and it looks no different to you than 9 white male justices we’ll still be fighting discrimination.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Didn't this thread start with how liberals are weak because they always insist they are oppressed victims..?

It was, until the conservative(s) here again exposed how victimized they feel....victimized by everybody....everywhere.....all the time....!!!!

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I do think there are pitfalls to affirmative-action type programs. One being that if you concentrate exclusively on one kind of injustice you risk making other kinds worse. So you insist on having 'women in the boardroom' and the existing boardroom members stuff the boards with their (equally upper-class and white) mothers, wives, and daughters, at the expense of the few non-white guys who were there. Gender balance gets better, class and race balance gets worse.

And at heart they are all based on liberalism - the idea that the basic system is fine, it just needs some tweaking to improve representation of specific groups. Which ignores the ways in which the system itself depends on structural inequalities.

None of which is to agree that white males are poor put-upon victims.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
im sorry basic social skills evade you.

Oh nice. So now the hypothetical is really a veiled way of defending things I have actually done. So rather than simply go with a hypothetical you insult me. The Trump is strong with you. Enjoy your day.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

You are still trying to justify racism and racist behavior.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I really wish you and your likes would have left it alone... I had him by his fucking balls.

But you are taking the heed on this... so go ahead, just try to be more intelligent than this utter retarded idiocy.

Illusions of self grandeur.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Oh nice. So now the hypothetical is really a veiled way of defending things I have actually done. So rather than simply go with a hypothetical you insult me. The Trump is strong with you. Enjoy your day.
Youre nutters. I provided an objective observation of your hypothetical in a single sentence and you go off the deep end.

your original reply was just a personal attack. I have not countered the same, so whatever.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
No, you are the one exhibiting racist behavior by demonstrating the belief that whites are superior to minority races.

What?! Now you're in full stretch mode. I never said that, have not insinuated it, and it is not something I believe. I don't believe any race is superior. Holding back one demographic and forcing that demographic to play be different rules than the rest is racism, that is what the left pushes for. You are saying tings that are wildly incorrect because I've demonstrated your full blown leftist hypocrisy. All you have left is to scream "racist!" and shut down, typical.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
You act like white men are so discriminated against in hiring based on your personal anecdotes, but on more than one occasion I've heard Good Ol' Boys state firmly that they would never hire/work with/work for a "n igger".

I say both cases are wrong. Your argument suggests otherwise.
Why? Do your morals only protect certain people based on the color of their skin?

Those who are discriminated against will have a hard time voting for their assailants. Democrats are making enemies, and by all accounts it appears to be done on purpose. It's an odd idea, that in a Democracy you think you can afford to throw away votes that might otherwise be neutral or supportive if they were not otherwise being harmed.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I say both cases are wrong. Your argument suggests otherwise.
Why? Do your morals only protect certain people based on the color of their skin?

Those who are discriminated against will have a hard time voting for their assailants. Democrats are making enemies, and by all accounts it appears to be done on purpose. It's an odd idea, that in a Democracy you think you can afford to throw away votes that might otherwise be neutral or supportive if they were not otherwise being harmed.

Have you considered that Democrats would lose a lot of votes if they decided to no longer help people who are being actively harmed by discrimination? Remember, the number of minorities negatively affected by discrimination vastly exceeds the number of whites negatively affected by discrimination.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

Getting you to buy into the "whites are the real victims here" narrative is how Republicans and their media outlets control you. Otherwise you wouldn't support their terrible policies which are contrary to your interests.

"Liberals and minorities are enslaving you, and only WE can set you free!!"

Sad.