The Sky is Falling

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
For the nth time, The gaming industry is going gang busters, that includes PC gaming. So despite the constant wailing and gnashing of teeth proclaiming PC gaming's demise, news of its death has been greatly exaggerated.

Certainly there are problems: we are subjected to far more port overs from consoles now, we are burdened by crap like SecuROM and StarForce, too many titles are rushed to market despite glaring faults, there are still scum bags stealing instead of ponying up to play, and we have this contingent among us that behave as if PC gamer defecation doesn't stink, but every sector of the industry has its issues. As the digital delivery services gain in popularity and content, it should ameliorate some of the issues, hopefully.

Chosonman

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2005
You know what I think makes PC games great? You can update them with patches and the mod community. PC gaming is A #1 for for me :) !!

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Chosonman
Originally posted by: Pez D Spencer
The bottom line is that P2P is what's killing PC games. I think that if console games were as easy to pirate as PC games, then you'd see MUCH less of a difference when comparing PC game sales to console games.

p2p is not killing pc gaming. Anyone who plays online games knows it's hard to play without a valid CD key. Plus if you want to compare the console market look at the number of used games that are being bought and sold. At least with PC games you don't really have that problem.

Basically, PC's and consoles have their own fan base. PC's geared more toward MMORPG, FPS, and strategy type games, and a lot of PC gamer buy one game and play it forever. I've been playing counter strike and civilization for over 5 years now. Not to mention the WoW players who don't have time to eat let alone get into another game.

Consoles on the other hand are a virtual revolving door when it comes to games. I can finish a console game in less than 3 days and will probably trade it in for a new one after I'm done. That's part of the reason I only buy buy sports games for console and rent or borrow adventure games so I don't have to waste money on them.

I really doubt p2p is killing PC gaming. Bottom line PC games are better for playing a single game for a long time.
Thats why there is a huge surge of online server based games from companies nowadays. Because they know people steal and its nice to have a game that can be controlled. Anyone who says P2P hasnt hurt PC gaming in a huge way is completely blind to whats going on in the market.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: TehMac
If anybody thinks PC Gaming is going down the tubes, I think they should be directed towards THQ--this is an amazing publisher, a publisher that publishes quality shit: Titan Quest and Company of Heroes, and the Warhammer series.

'nuff said.

Originally posted by: Thraxen
Originally posted by: Pez D Spencer
I don't own a console and probably never will. Consoles are for children. I guess if PC games die then I'll consider myself an ex-gamer.

Just have to say that some of you guys are total pricks. I game on pretty much everything and it gets a little old hearing a bunch of whiney elitists blame everything that goes wrong with any PC game on consoles. If consoles are gaining in popularity whose fault is that?

It's the fault of the useless tools like the 12 year olds who can't get balls and save money, but I have to get cheap plastic shit known as consoles, and use a fiddly gamepad to practice for masturbation techniques, while PC Gamers are sophisticated people with sophisticated games.

I can tell by your response that you are VERY sophisticated. :)

Chosonman

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2005
Originally posted by: jandrews
Thats why there is a huge surge of online server based games from companies nowadays. Because they know people steal and its nice to have a game that can be controlled. Anyone who says P2P hasnt hurt PC gaming in a huge way is completely blind to whats going on in the market.

Can you please explain your conclusion why P2P has hurt PC gaming but console modding and the market for used console games hasn't hurt the console market?

Doesn't it stand to reason the main culprit for the lack of PC games is the platform itself? As I mentioned before, PC gamers tend to play their games for years, while console gamers spend only days on a single game. Additionally take Blizzard and Wow. WoW has over a million subscribers and Blizzard netted more than a billion $$ in profit last year. Dead? I don't think so.

Chosonman

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2005
Just an afterthought, but it seems to me the developers that are crying are the one's that can't come up with something that will keep our attention and make an impact. The one's that make games PC gamers don't want to buy. PC gamers are sophisticated as someone pointed out earlier in this thread. We're not like the console gamers who are mostly kids spending their lunch money for an afternoon joy ride on another Final Fantasy clone that hits the console. We expect a lot more from our games.

I think whoever says PC gaming is dead or dying doesn't understand the genre and looks at the it in the same light as consoles. No PC gaming is not the same as console gaming.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Chosonman
You know what I think makes PC games great? You can update them with patches and the mod community. PC gaming is A #1 for for me :) !!

Consoles can be updated too now.

Just trying to be subjective.