The Sky is Falling

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
An interesting read, and I think he hit the nail on the head, sadly.

Honestly, I hope the gaming industry, PC and console, implodes in on itself so that, like the phoenix, it can be reborn.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Bateluer
I hope the gaming industry, PC and console, implodes in on itself

:thumbsup:

We need another crash and cleansing to destroy the current big publishers.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I agree. Let all those bloated companies collapse on themselves like Neutron Stars. EA is at the top of my list.

Maybe when the programmers reorganize they will get back to basics: making fun games, and making games fun.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
This guy is a i love you. Only 14%--yeah, counting NPD numbers which still exclude digital distribution like steam and the like. GG to him.

Although a lot of games suck, but that's because the industry is booming, so yeah, obviously a lot of companies are trying to foot in games that are shit. The key is not buying them.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: TehMac
This guy is a i love you. Only 14%--yeah, counting NPD numbers which still exclude digital distribution like steam and the like. GG to him.

Although a lot of games suck, but that's because the industry is booming, so yeah, obviously a lot of companies are trying to foot in games that are shit. The key is not buying them.
You might be ignoring something very important. What YOU buy is not a big deal and what I buy is not a big deal, but the masses are buying crap, thats why publishers keep putting out crap.
The reason so many crummy games have been flooding the marker over the past few years is thats what sells. Publishers dont give a damn whats about "good". They dont even know what constitutes a "good" game, they just know what sells. And sales it what they're after.

The reason we are complaining is that attitude about production keeps people like us (the minority) from enjoying games of quality on a regular basis. There simply arent that many good games around anymore.

You can tell me to not buy shit, that doesnt make good stuff fall out of the sky.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: shortylickens

You might be ignoring something very important. Why YOU buy is not a big deal and what I buy is not a big deal, but the masses are buying crap, thats why publishers keep putting out crap.
The reason so many crummy games have been flooding the marker over the past few years is thats what sells. Publishers dont give a damn whats about "good". They dont even know what constitutes a "good" game, they just know what sells. And sales it what they're after.

The reason we are complaining is that attitude about production keeps people like us (the minority) from enjoying games of quality on a regular basis. There simply arent that many good games around anymore.

You can tell me to not buy shit, that doesnt make good stuff fall out of the sky.

Well said.

And, TehMac, that guy isn't a "i love you" by any means. He stated what he read and heard about, that's it, and it suddenly makes him a "i love you", really, in this society we must not move, not breath, not do anything, not talk at all or else we'd always be judged by others out of no reasons... heck let's start acusing the humans that still aren't born "fags" just in case that later in their life at some point they open their mouth just so they can breath.

And about the main subject, I mostly agree with the author of the article. What I myself have noticed over the past few years is that gaming quality vastly and directly depends on the players themselves, the community and their modifications. The number of "rushed out" games and "crappy" games are indeed increasing. The complexity of most of those games is decreasing (turning them mostly in Console games). And then the game(s)'s fans, its community comes in, makes modifications, and all of a sudden you get a much better game (not always, I know, nothing is perfect, sadly, but it still happens more often than before since a few years).

People buy "crappy" games, but that's from other's perspective. The players who buy "crappy" games but still end up liking them, do they actually care about the ones who say that the game they just bought is crap? Let's just think about it for a second... done? Ok, what's your conclusion? Well mine is simple: everything is relative... hey wait, I heard that one before... ah! yes, now I remember, we already all know about that... or do we? More seriously though, but still relative... for example, I believe that Battlefield 2142 sucks really hard (well it's not just an example here, I do believe it for real, since I did returned it yes), but what do the players who keep feeding the game's servers all day and night long think about what I've done? Why SHOULD they even care for half a second about me, that random guy who means nothing to this world returned a game, who gives a damn? That's right, no one.

I consider myself to be a gamer who likes "quality games", but does that mean anything to that guy next to me? Who knows? Heck, do that actually even MEAN anything at all? The point here is the following: the author of the article expressed his opinions and spoke about his observations, but his article won't be read by the majority, and his article won't change the PC gaming market, it won't even make EA feel bad in any way, shape or form, and it won't make their policies change concerning games development. It's sad, yes, but a reality. Believe me, I'd like to see "better games" be released more often, but then again, would better games even help the situation at all when we suddenly bring in the piracy...

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Well if we take the 7 main competitors:
Wii, Xbox 360, PS2, PS3, DS, PSP, PC
100/7 = 14.25% each if they get an equal marketshare.
So the PC has 14%, which is pretty much exactly what it should have assuming all the platforms are equal. Obviously they are not, but having 1/7th of retail sales in a market which has 7 players is hardly a death knell for PC gaming.

krunt

Jan 11, 2008
Remember that someone has to make crappy games. We want the game makers, whatever the platform, to be innovative and to try new things. Inevitability they will sometimes fail and not only is that ok, its good for everyone. Take a game like diablo, there was nothing like it before and it spawned a whole genre, before that no one would have thought you could build a game around the idea of fighting the same levels over and over again to slowly progress.

I just wish more makers would take risks instead of just making the same old game with updated graphics. How many FPS came out lats year? Maybe five of them were worth playing and of those its debatable if they brought anything new to the table. Personally. last years biggest let down was halflife2: episode 2. Just did not bring anything more to the game, unlike the rest of the orange box which is just brilliant.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

Did you read the article? He stated why that 14% is an awful statistic. He argued AGAINST it. Regardless, I thought it was a great read.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Not really anything new or earth shattering about this editorial. I've seen better write-ups coming from our own threads on this very topic.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I agree with most of his points, but I'm not sure they necessarily point to PC gaming dying out.

Chosonman

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2005
Windows Live, World of War Craft, Microsoft DirectX 10, First Person Shooters, MMORP, Internet gaming, the shear numbers of computers out there. PC gaming is no where near dead. Microsoft needs gamers to want to upgrade to Vista and DX10 for their OS to succeed.

brikis98

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
a pretty good read, with some very valid points. pc gaming is definitely nowhere near dead and i'm really sick of people saying that it is. the article contains some arguments that show this, although some more concrete stats would have helped. for example, the 8 million (or more?) WoW users paying $15/month (not including original cost of the game) is fairly mind blowing.

however, if i'm right, in ~5 years, this whole discussion will be rather moot. If you look around, your computer, console, stereo, dvd players, photo albums, etc are all merging into one device. We've seen lots of partial merges - such as home theater pc's, consoles that play movies (xbox, ps3, etc), consoles that surf the web (wii) - but more will happen. Eventually, people will just have some generic "media center" devices that sit next to their large HDTV's and offer access to the internet, tv, movies, games, music, photos, etc. These devices will be made by various companies and will run various OSes, but the line between "PC" and "console" will blur.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Chosonman
Windows Live, World of War Craft, Microsoft DirectX 10, First Person Shooters, MMORP, Internet gaming, the shear numbers of computers out there. PC gaming is no where near dead. Microsoft needs gamers to want to upgrade to Vista and DX10 for their OS to succeed.

I don't think that digital downloads are included in those numbers.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Yeah, you guys are right, I re-read what he was saying, and he has points, but the article still is exactly what it is--sky is falling paranoia.

Pez D Spencer

Banned
Nov 22, 2005
The bottom line is that P2P is what's killing PC games. I think that if console games were as easy to pirate as PC games, then you'd see MUCH less of a difference when comparing PC game sales to console games.

Id also like to say that for a time I felt pretty bad about downloading PC games. I mean, you can't beat the price, but I still felt guilty for doing it. Then in response to a post I made several months ago on here about P2P and it's effect on the PC gaming market, someone said that I shouldn't feel bad and at first this confused me. You see, I stated in my post that the main reason I didn't buy PC games was because I simply couldn't afford them. The reply that said I shouldn't feel bad went on to say that I shouldn't feel bad because since I wouldn't have bought them anyway I'm not hurting the market. If anything I'm helping it because if a game is good, I'm likely to tell someone else who might actually go out and buy it (that is of course if they're not a broke ass like me). All this is aside from the fact that besides a few games that I actually DID buy like HL2, Far Cry, Doom 3, and Quake 4, 99.9% of games that are produced are pure grade-A piles of shit and even if could afford to buy every new PC game out there I wouldn't anyway.

And no, this isn't some pathetic excuse to justify "stealing" PC games through P2P. It's the truth. However, it does burn me up when I go to sites like Torrent Freak and hear all the other pathetic excuses for why people use P2P to obtain their media. The cold hard truth is that eventually when nobody buys games, music, or movies anymore there will be no more food for the giant P2P machine to feed on because P2P truly does bite the hand that feeds it.

But make no mistake, although I don't have statistics or can really think of a way to guage it, I think that the majority of people downloading PC games on P2P networks would have bought the games if they were forced to and had no other way of obtaining them.

I don't own a console and probably never will. Consoles are for children. I guess if PC games die then I'll consider myself an ex-gamer.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Yet despite that, the bit torrent for pirating Bioshock was being whored--this isn't a matter of piracy, it's a matter of these stupid fucking bitchy, retarded, moronic, n00b infested developers who want excuses for not developing for the most sophisticated game platform out there.

Chosonman

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Pez D Spencer
The bottom line is that P2P is what's killing PC games. I think that if console games were as easy to pirate as PC games, then you'd see MUCH less of a difference when comparing PC game sales to console games.

p2p is not killing pc gaming. Anyone who plays online games knows it's hard to play without a valid CD key. Plus if you want to compare the console market look at the number of used games that are being bought and sold. At least with PC games you don't really have that problem.

Basically, PC's and consoles have their own fan base. PC's geared more toward MMORPG, FPS, and strategy type games, and a lot of PC gamer buy one game and play it forever. I've been playing counter strike and civilization for over 5 years now. Not to mention the WoW players who don't have time to eat let alone get into another game.

Consoles on the other hand are a virtual revolving door when it comes to games. I can finish a console game in less than 3 days and will probably trade it in for a new one after I'm done. That's part of the reason I only buy buy sports games for console and rent or borrow adventure games so I don't have to waste money on them.

I really doubt p2p is killing PC gaming. Bottom line PC games are better for playing a single game for a long time.

Chosonman

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2005
Also, you look at the mod industry for consoles you could say the same thing about pirating, but I don't hear anything about that killing the console industry.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
I don't own a console and probably never will. Consoles are for children. I guess if PC games die then I'll consider myself an ex-gamer.

Just have to say that some of you guys are total pricks. I game on pretty much everything and it gets a little old hearing a bunch of whiney elitists blame everything that goes wrong with any PC game on consoles. If consoles are gaining in popularity whose fault is that?

Chosonman

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2005
So in short.

PC gamers have 1 or two games they play constantly, since PC gaming is oriented to MMORPG, Strategy, and shooters.

and

Consoler gaming is a revolving door of games that you can finish in 3 days to a week or a new sports roster update every season.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
If anybody thinks PC Gaming is going down the tubes, I think they should be directed towards THQ--this is an amazing publisher, a publisher that publishes quality shit: Titan Quest and Company of Heroes, and the Warhammer series.

'nuff said.

Originally posted by: Thraxen

Just have to say that some of you guys are total pricks. I game on pretty much everything and it gets a little old hearing a bunch of whiney elitists blame everything that goes wrong with any PC game on consoles. If consoles are gaining in popularity whose fault is that?

It's the fault of the useless tools like the 12 year olds who can't get balls and save money, but I have to get cheap plastic shit known as consoles, and use a fiddly gamepad to practice for masturbation techniques, while PC Gamers are sophisticated people with sophisticated games.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
It's the fault of the useless tools like the 12 year olds who can't get balls and save money, but I have to get cheap plastic shit known as consoles, and use a fiddly gamepad to practice for masturbation techniques, while PC Gamers are sophisticated people with sophisticated games.

Spare me that drivel. If you're going to make arguments like a 12 year old I don't think you have the room to call others that. Anyway, thanks for being a prime example of my earlier statement. Yeah, you sound real sophisticated.