THe Sandia Cooler - Breakthrough in Air Cooling design

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
why would i use this over the stock intel heat sink?
Low profile, can be used to cool in small cases.

i7-6785R for example could be put in a small case. Standard heatsink is like the height of a RAM with stokes. Kinetic heatsink is the height of VLP. In a relative comparison height.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
thermaltake licensed version. no word on when it goes on sale.
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Cooler/Air_Cooler_/Others/C_00002957/Engine_27_/design.htm

kinda wish they did away with the static radial fins, kinda defeats the purpose of having a fanblade that isnt supposed to collect dust. hopefully there will be a version with wide spacing like the old arctic accelero passive gpu coolers.

but otherwise small, low profile, low weight, low noise, and less dust clogging.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
No dust is a big deal for those wanting to use liquid metal TIM, which causes copper–copper bonding and thus lapping with every disassembly for cleaning. So far, the only sinks that are ideal for liquid metal are the NoFan ones and possibly the super-wide fin spacing Scythe type (so you can blow out the dust completely without taking it off the board).

I wish someone could provide evidence in terms of whether or not it causes nickle–nickle bonding.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
How much smaller than other coolers rated for only 70W though? It doesn't seem much smaller than Intel's stock coolers.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
thermaltake licensed version. no word on when it goes on sale.
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Cooler/Air_Cooler_/Others/C_00002957/Engine_27_/design.htm

kinda wish they did away with the static radial fins, kinda defeats the purpose of having a fanblade that isnt supposed to collect dust. hopefully there will be a version with wide spacing like the old arctic accelero passive gpu coolers.

but otherwise small, low profile, low weight, low noise, and less dust clogging.

70W @ 27mm tall is disappointing considering the following conventional coolers are 65W @ 23mm tall:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=418&area=en

ar04-34.jpg

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=442&area=en

nt07-115x-34.jpg

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Don't like having to screw a small cooler down, either. Okay for big heavy coolers, but shouldn't be necessary for a small cooler.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
70W @ 27mm tall is disappointing considering the following conventional coolers are 65W @ 23mm tall:

ar04-34.jpg

nt07-115x-34.jpg

Exactly. I don't see anything wrong with conventional coolers like these. This new thing is a straight up gimmick IMO.

Don't like having to screw a small cooler down, either. Okay for big heavy coolers, but shouldn't be necessary for a small cooler.

This thing will come flying out the case and chop your damn head off. It needs to be bolted down. You ought to bolt your case to the floor as well, ELST your rig goes flying out the window.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Exactly. I don't see anything wrong with conventional coolers like these. This new thing is a straight up gimmick IMO.

ar04-34.jpg

nt07-115x-34.jpg
axial flow fans are bad in the down facing orientation with tight fins. small fan blades are bad for noise. plastic is bad for static charge which will cause dust to stick to the blades.
enthusiasts will clean regularly enough that it never gets this bad, but the majority of office cubicle business pc will never get opened up for cleaning. if the impeller of the sandia design can stay clean enough then it is an improvement. the original application for the design was for military field computers in vehicles that would regularly take high force moments which would snap a tower cooler while also having to deal with dust and dirt and low serviceability. domestic pcs may not need the g-force resistance but neglect is a real factor.
that said, the fins on the thermaltake will still clog so it would be interesting to see how it performs with the fins clipped off.
ventblockers_dust_03.jpg

1234.jpg

Dusty-Intel-Stock.jpg

Reactions: ehume

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Clean your computer out more than once a year...

Do you clean your work pc? Fuck no, have other things to do...(OK, Have a laptop anyway but still, nobody does that).

The design is good for low maintenance and low noise not high performance. But yeah, it's a bit a niche application.

The best things to avoid dust are dust filters and even more importantly, don't place the damn case on the floor. Just couple inches off has a huge effect and the higher the less dust (obviously).

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
The best things to avoid dust are dust filters and even more importantly, don't place the damn case on the floor. Just couple inches off has a huge effect and the higher the less dust (obviously).
Many dust filters don't do so well with the finest particles, especially sticky pet dander. I've found that, aside from keeping a system off the floor, not opening windows, using a better-trapping filter for the HVAC, and dusting the floor and everything with a Swiffer and such to keep the overall air dust level down really helps.

It's amazing how quickly a floor gets covered with dust, even though we have a shoes-off policy. One night thing about living by a large body of water like I used to was that the dust level was a lot lower. Letting the HVAC system pull in fresh air instead of opening windows allows it to catch dust in its filter.

Most people looking for quiet computing eschew dust filters in favor of lower fan RPMs.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Do you clean your work pc? Fuck no, have other things to do...(OK, Have a laptop anyway but still, nobody does that).

The design is good for low maintenance and low noise not high performance. But yeah, it's a bit a niche application.

Yes, I clean my work PC about every 6 months. It's a small tower on my desktop. I open it, and if it disgusts me, I clean it out.

At any rate, if the PC keeps on working with the dust in the cooler, then it seems like we don't need a new cooler design.

If we aren't going to clean it, and it's going to keep working without being cleaned, then we probably don't need a new cooler design.

Those pics above are not really going to be any different with a new cooler design, because it's pretty clear that the whole computer is going to be full of that sort of junk.

imported_bman

Jul 29, 2007
Looks like the demands of mass production dumbed down this design to a ridiculous degree. Early data about the Thermaltake Engine 27 does not looks good in terms of acoustics (very poor frequency profile) or temperatures.

Video of it running.

Found a test from Amazon with a comparison of the Thermaltake Engine 27 to the stock cooler, images below.
61Hh+JZ+ULL._SL1600_.jpg

61bpWth8kLL._SL1600_.jpg

snarfbot

Jul 22, 2007
ill bet theyre still being funded by government grants too, even after all these years of failure.

PPB

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2013
Conclusion: It's not better than any 12.5mm vapor chamber 771 HP proliant heatsink paired with a 95x15mm fan that you can build for 30 bucks. Garbage.