The saga is over! :)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Bah now I feel played (which I was). But it's still partially my fault for not getting a cashier's check and signing a BILL OF SALE immediately after the sale concluded.

If she doesn't sign my 1 page legal mumbo jumbo (there's going to be A LOT of it, 99% of it total utter BS) then no check for her.

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
I thought you said you was willing to be convinced to take $2500 and they didn't balk at the full price, but instead took it to be looked at (which they should of done before agreeing to buy it - their bad) they are only wanting $300 back? So instead of $2500 you end up with $3000 and are mad. Ummmmmm.

NetworkDad

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2001
No way would i have agreed to split the repairs after the sale. I would have been willing to take it to a dealership for examination of the car, if they paid for before the sale.

Also -...I would have taken the check directly to their personal bank and requested cash on the spot.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
Ross, at this point (check cleared, WA state DMV has the title), I would tell them politely to self fornicate.

The damn car is as old as Jerboy. It needs work. DUH. If they wanted to check it out, they should have done so BEFORE they wrote you a check.

This reeks. I strongly believe you are being taken for a ride, no pun intended, by a couple of leeches.

-PAB

Lvis

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
If you told them that it had a salvage title, I don't believe you have any legal or moral obligation to give them any of their money back. If they wanted someone to look the car over, that should have been done before the sale.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: L vis
If you told them that it had a salvage title, I don't believe you have any legal or moral obligation to give them any of their money back. If they wanted someone to look the car over, that should have been done before the sale.

You were screwed RossMAN and played like a fish. I am really sorry to hear of your troubles and I know you will be relieved to be rid of your buyer for good.

Anyway, now you know HOW to sell you 2002 car (eventually). :)

THE MORAL OF THE STORY: Buyer beware but SELLER beware, also! If our chief Ferengi can get into these kind of problems, ANYONE can. ;) Do your "homework" before you make a major purchase or even sell something major.

:)

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Why did I let her talk me into paying for part of the repairs when it's her responsibility?

* sound of Ross banging his head against his desk *

Jmmsbnd007

Diamond Member
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Why did I let her talk me into paying for part of the repairs when it's her responsibility?

Shouldn't have done that... you're just making mistake after mistake. Just all of a sudden change your mind ;)

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Simple, you screwed up and you know it. After all, you didn't have a bill of sale, so they can return the car and cancel their check if they want to. So it is easier for you to just pay part of the repairs rather than have to go through the hassle of relisting and dealing with this all over again. After all, $3,000 for a salvage title is a pretty fair price IMHO. No doubt next time you won't make this mistake, but $150 for repairs isn't that big of a deal.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Jmmsbnd007

Shouldn't have done that... you're just making mistake after mistake. Just all of a sudden change your mind ;)

I could do that but I wonder what she'll do/say? I'm afraid it would only make matters worse. I know her "police offer" son can't do anything but if a cop shows up at my parents house (the address on the title - no one knows where I really live), my mother is gonna go balistic and probably give the cop my *REAL* home phone number where he can probably trace it to my *REAL* residence address. Then again I don't really want to part with $300 which is rightfully mine, not hers.

Should I go back on what I said earlier? I could justify it saying the deal was DONE last Friday 8/2 and these "maintenance" repairs have nothing to do with the title stating "TOTALLED RECONSTRUCTED" on it and furthermore she is the legal owner of the car, not I.

How could I screw up something so simple! NEVER ever trust someone, never!

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: dirtboy

Simple, you screwed up and you know it. After all, you didn't have a bill of sale, so they can return the car and cancel their check if they want to. So it is easier for you to just pay part of the repairs rather than have to go through the hassle of relisting and dealing with this all over again. After all, $3,000 for a salvage title is a pretty fair price IMHO. No doubt next time you won't make this mistake, but $150 for repairs isn't that big of a deal.

I partially agree with you. The repair estimate was $715 and I'm paying $300 (not $150).

I don't think it's worth pissing her off over $300 after all I did agree to paying it earlier today.

But I am going to do EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO ROYALLY PISS/ANNOY HER OFF with my legal mumbo jumbo, you're gonna need a hazmat suit to wade through the crap I'm gonna put in the bill of sale ... hip waders will only cover the first 1/10th.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: RossMAN .

But I am going to do EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO ROYALLY PISS/ANNOY HER OFF with my legal mumbo jumbo, you're gonna need a hazmat suit to wade through the crap I'm gonna put in the bill of sale ... hip waders will only cover the first 1/10th.

I wouldn't. YOU screwed up and no one pulled your tongue to agree to pay $300 for her repairs.

Just get the money, give her the title and a bill of sale simply stating:"As is, no warranty."
Cut your losses and let it go. Call it a "lesson leaned". . . Unless you like stress. ;)

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
you are dumb...complaining about $300 you paid more on your accord yet you give this lady back $300 so easily... she would've had to take me to court to get that money back

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: dirtboy

I partially agree with you. The repair estimate was $715 and I'm paying $300 (not $150).

I don't think it's worth pissing her off over $300 after all I did agree to paying it earlier today.

Dear Lord, please forgive me for what I have done here. I didnt mean it.

Also, please help RossMAN in the taxing process of selling his car so he does not have to have any more problems. We do not want RossMOM angry.

Amen.

-PAB

goodoptics

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
Originally posted by: fataIerror
lol make sure you put the text of the legal jumbo on here for everyone to see.

Yea, you don't want to let them mutherfockers scam you again. If possible. make sure you let us know what you will put exactly on the Bill of Sale before you hand it over to them to sign it. We are here to help each other. It is also a good idea to have the Bill of Sale inked in 2 exact same copies. Seller and Buyer sign both copies and each party keep 1 copy of it for their record. The followings are some important items should be included in the Bill of Sale:

1) Date of the Bill of Sale
2) Seller's full name as on the pink slip
3) VIN
4) mileage
5) driver license's number of parties involved
6) AS IS -- NO WARRANTY
7) Seller and Buyer's full names followed by their signatures
8) Buyer is aware the car carries a salvage title
9) Date signed

That's all I can think of right now. The above format has worked well for me every time I involved in used car transaction. I am in CA by the way. Good luck. :)

P.S. bad move by accepting their check without closing out the transaction with a Bill of Sale.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: goodoptics

Yea, you don't want to let them mutherfockers scam you again. If possible. make sure you let us know what you will put exactly on the Bill of Sale before you hand it over to them to sign it. We are here to help each other. It is also a good idea to have the Bill of Sale inked in 2 exact same copies. Seller and Buyer sign both copies and each party keep 1 copy of it for their record. The followings are some important items should be included in the Bill of Sale:

3) VIN
4) mileage
6) AS IS -- NO WARRANTY
9) Date signed

That's all I can think of right now. The above format has worked well for me every time I involved in used car transaction. I am in CA by the way. Good luck. :)

P.S. bad move by accepting their check without closing out the transaction with a Bill of Sale.

I already have all this info on the Oregon DMV Bill of Sale but I'm going to go a step further and make my own addendum to the bill of sale adding my own special blend of herbs and spices. As long as I know she's irritated that she has to sign it to get her $300 then it's worth it to me.

Lvis

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
My second car, purchased with my own money...when I was young and dumb...errr maybe dumber..The fat used car dealer put this on my bill of sale.

Vehicle sold "as is" no warranty written or implied

Scared the hell out of me, and I've used it a few times myself. Seems to cover you better than just "as is" Turned out to be a pretty good car for the price, though.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: L vis
My second car, purchased with my own money...when I was young and dumb...errr maybe dumber..The fat used car dealer put this on my bill of sale.

Vehicle sold "as is" no warranty written or implied

Scared the hell out of me, and I've used it a few times myself. Seems to cover you better than just "as is" Turned out to be a pretty good car for the price, though.

Oh that'll definitely be part of the bill of sale, except for I'll take it a step further and write something like

"Vehicle sold "AS IS" no warranty written, implied, hinted, suggested, spoken, promised, mumbled, uttered or telepathically transmitted"

goodoptics

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
Originally posted by: goodoptics

3) VIN
4) mileage
6) AS IS -- NO WARRANTY
9) Date signed

I already have all this info on the Oregon DMV Bill of Sale but I'm going to go a step further and make my own addendum to the bill of sale adding my own special blend of herbs and spices. As long as I know she's irritated that she has to sign it to get her $300 then it's worth it to me.

I've never used the official CA DMV Bill of Sale in any of my previous transactions and I intend to keep it that way. I've always inked my own Bill of Sale. The reason is flexibility. You can add your own desired additonal terms on a piece of paper. As long as it's reasonable and legit and have the routine essential details (signatures, VIN, etc) on that piece of paper, DMV will gladly accept it. It works every time for me. So I assume that it's generally acceptible by any CA DMV. If OR DMV accepts make-your-own Bill of Sale, I'd suggest you to go for that route due to flexibility. Good Luck. :)

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
To be perfectly honest it kinda sounds like you are being an ass.
Splitting the cost of repair isn't THAT big an issue, it's damned near what you said you might agree to anyway, and ALOT better then the price you were willing to let them low-ball you to.

The fact that they didn't call you up bitching and complaining and demanding their money back and/or cancelling the check shows alot to the fact that they aren't trying to take you for a ride.

Maybe you should slack off a bit and take this in from their perspective. The fact of the matter is you were not 100% honest with them. And if the car has a valid problem (an oil leak that your mechanic couldn't spot?) why is it their fault for wanting things evened out a bit?

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Balthazar
To be perfectly honest it kinda sounds like you are being an ass.
Splitting the cost of repair isn't THAT big an issue, it's damned near what you said you might agree to anyway, and ALOT better then the price you were willing to let them low-ball you to.

The fact that they didn't call you up bitching and complaining and demanding their money back and/or cancelling the check shows alot to the fact that they aren't trying to take you for a ride.

Maybe you should slack off a bit and take this in from their perspective. The fact of the matter is you were not 100% honest with them. And if the car has a valid problem (an oil leak that your mechanic couldn't spot?) why is it their fault for wanting things evened out a bit?

How is RossMAN an ass? He handed them a title that says TOTALLED RECONSTRUCTED on it. If they wanted out, they could have handed back the keys and title and asked for their check.

I dont believe they have the right to stop payment on a check. #1 its already been deposited. #2 the DMV is working on the title already. If that dosent say "I want this car," what does?

Lets look at the flip side. If they had questions, they could have asked them. They had the VIN, they could have run Carfax. Did they? They could also have had the car inspected before they took delivery.

-PAB

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Your statement should be something to the effect of:

Sold-AS-IS regardless of any verbal statements made. You can get the exact statement off the window sticker of any used car lot. It absolves you of any warranty even if they may have implied something out of what you said.