The Romney's are just too fake

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
My point of this thread is that Mitt does himself a disservice pretending to be normal or average. He's lived an exceptional life in every way IMHO and that's what he needs to focus on.

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
The Romneys are as endearing and with the same charisma as a boulder.

ROFL! I cracked up... hahhaha..

Romney should just enjoy his millions and go on safaris in the Serengeti and forget this politics business..

He is already defeated.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Some very compelling reasons not to vote for Romney in this thread. I don't know where a millionaire like Obama gets his shirts but it damned well has got to be a better place than Costco.

Forget this economy, massive debt and unemployment shit Mr. Candidate, you don't get your shirts at Costco - do you?

And to think you guys vote. Scary.

Nov 29, 2006
He is basically a mannequin in an expensive suit with a pull cord on his back with like 10 things people want to hear that gets updated frequently.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
You should probably rethink yourself. The majority of rich people are not retarded with their money like most people. If I was rich I would probably still shop at Costco because;

1. It's a good deal
2. I save money
3. I'm not fucking stupid and think I need those new Jordans or that new 60" Plasma that I'm buying with my newly acquired storecard.

I would probably move up to Target though, Walmart is ghetto as hell but still closer and a few dollars cheaper. Food Lion would also likely get replaced with Safeway but other than that I wouldn't change a hell of a lot.

I mean do we have to politicize eveything. If you're as wealthy as Mitt Romney, you're not buying Kirkland shirts. Why would you? You're not looking at prices. You probably go into Bloomindales and pick out what shirts you like regardless of cost. A sale for you is probably the BRown Bag sale at Bloomies. I mean he's worth 250million. I believe that is a conservative estimate. If he made 5 mil last year, he made about $2400 an hour. Do you think he cares if he spends 1 hour on 10 shirts or 140 per shirt (about the cost of a PINK shirt)?

His and her time I believe are worth more than saving that money per shirt. Plus, you add the sociietal and work contraints, their story just sounds like BS.

Last edited:

waterjug

Jan 21, 2012
I thought she did great. People keep trying to attack Mitt because of his successes in business, I love her line "Are you supposed to tell your children 'go out there and do....okay'"? The section of her speech talking about their early years together was great as well, made him seem more human.

Yeah he's rich now, but as she said, Mitt and his group of partners had to fight and claw and scrap to get to where they are, it's not like everything was handed to him on a platter. That speech last night from Ann Romney was EXACTLY what the Romney campaign needed. She nailed it.

waterjug

Jan 21, 2012
I mean do we have to politicize eveything. If you're as wealthy as Mitt Romney, you're not buying Kirkland shirts. Why would you? You're not looking at prices. You probably go into Bloomindales and pick out what shirts you like regardless of cost. A sale for you is probably the BRown Bag sale at Bloomies. I mean he's worth 250million. I believe that is a conservative estimate. If he made 5 mil last year, he made about $2400 an hour. Do you think he cares if he spends 1 hour on 10 shirts or 140 per shirt (about the cost of a PINK shirt)?

His and her time I believe are worth more than saving that money per shirt. Plus, you add the sociietal and work contraints, their story just sounds like BS.

Amen. THIS GUY WHO'S WORKED HIS ASS OFF AND IS OBSCENELY WEALTHY DOESN'T SHOP AT WALMAAAAART. WE CAN'T ELECT HIIIIIM.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Amen. THIS GUY WHO'S WORKED HIS ASS OFF AND IS OBSCENELY WEALTHY DOESN'T SHOP AT WALMAAAAART. WE CAN'T ELECT HIIIIIM.

So, I guess you missed the point. I don't care where he shops. But why the need to lie about it? I guess it's because she believes that we're lemmings and we would stupidly believe that they care about saving $50 when they made $10,000 an hour (income of $21,000,000) last year. And he doesn't even work.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2006
I do not know what a Kirkland shirt is either.
Me neither.

I also didn't know that this is actually somehow relevant to some within the anti-Romney crowd. To me, hypercritical nitpicking of this kind of minutia is one of the hallmarks of mental depravity.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
I thought she did great. People keep trying to attack Mitt because of his successes in business, I love her line "Are you supposed to tell your children 'go out there and do....okay'"? The section of her speech talking about their early years together was great as well, made him seem more human.

Yeah he's rich now, but as she said, Mitt and his group of partners had to fight and claw and scrap to get to where they are, it's not like everything was handed to him on a platter. That speech last night from Ann Romney was EXACTLY what the Romney campaign needed. She nailed it.

His father was a Presidential Candidate. He ran an american auto company. He made it though colleges on stock options his father left him. His father gave them a loan to buy their first house. He is in PE which I'm sure his father's connections helped him immensely.

He worked hard in PE, but his father's wealth and success helped him immensely. So please with all this, they struggled nonsense.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
The thing is no American expects a family worth hundreds of millions of dollars to shop at Costco. Why would they? Would you?

Hell no. If I had that money I'd hire someone to do all my shopping and I sure as hell wouldn't be buying Kirkland shirts. People that are rich don't buy fucking Kirkland shirts. They don't need to.

You have a typical liberal bias against 'the rich'. It's rich libs that act the way you envision, like all the Hollywood celebs and such. Rich people do indeed shop at Costco, Walmart, etc. Not all rich feel the need to buy $300 T-shirts just because 'they can'. You'd be surprised how many rich people live relatively normal lives.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Me neither.

I also didn't know that this is actually somehow relevant to some within the anti-Romney crowd. To me, hypercritical nitpicking of this kind of minutia is one of the hallmarks of mental depravity.

So, tell me what should be revelent. By Romney, his taxes aren't relevent. What programs he'll cut aren't relevent. His economic policies aren't relevent. His engergy policies aren't relevent. Why is Romney running and what does he stand for? I'm sure you know, becasue for the life of me I can't figure it out.

We're told to trust him, so his phoniness is an issue.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I, for one, am stunned that people find reasons to dislike politicians whose platforms they don't agree with.

GWB did the "man of the people" thing pretty well... you'd be hard pressed to find many who'd say that made him a good leader.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
I, for one, am stunned that people find reasons to dislike politicians whose platforms they don't agree with.

GWB did the "man of the people" thing pretty well... you'd be hard pressed to find many who'd say that made him a good leader.

He did do the "man of the people" thng well. But he wasn't a man of the people and he wasn't bright. The sad part of the election is that he fooled people into believing that the son of a President who grew in boarding schools and the most elite colleges was a man of the people.

So, what do you think we should be electing out leaders on? I for one don't care what a leader does (didn't care Clinton had sex in the oval office). I do care that one has a set of convictions and a competence to get the job done. I don't see Romney's motivation or convictions. What drives him to want to be president? Besides being the next accomplishment? I think he would be competent, but it's scary that he has no real convictions.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
So, tell me what should be revelent. By Romney, his taxes aren't relevent. What programs he'll cut aren't relevent. His economic policies aren't relevent. His engergy policies aren't relevent. Why is Romney running and what does he stand for? I'm sure you know, becasue for the life of me I can't figure it out.

Silly, the only thing that's relevant is Romney is not a Democrat. That is all many people need to know.

Well said, by the way. I'm getting tired of Romney flacks constantly telling us what we are and are not allowed to consider about him.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009

Exactly! This thread points out how truly deep-thinking some libs are. Like I've said before, too many treat the presidential election like it's American Idol.

Nov 30, 2006

Then perhaps you should considering focusing on the big issues rather than pouring significance into obviously insignificant trivialities such as Romney not knowing about Kirkland shirts. It makes you appear to be incredibly trite.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
He did do the "man of the people" thng well. But he wasn't a man of the people and he wasn't bright. The sad part of the election is that he fooled people into believing that the son of a President who grew in boarding schools and the most elite colleges was a man of the people.

So, what do you think we should be electing out leaders on? I for one don't care what a leader does (didn't care Clinton had sex in the oval office). I do care that one has a set of convictions and a competence to get the job done. I don't see Romney's motivation or convictions. What drives him to want to be president? Besides being the next accomplishment? I think he would be competent, but it's scary that he has no real convictions.

personally? I chose Presidents based on policy, perceived leadership abilities, and overall competence.

I don't have any policy agreements with the Romney campaign, so that makes me a "no" for voting for him, but he's always seemed like a semi-decent person (insofar as much as any politician is capable) and I don't think he'd be a train wreck of a president like Bush or McCain if elected... I'd expect him to be a President like GHWB -- competent and skilled, if unloved and unappreciated.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Then perhaps you should considering focusing on the big issues rather than pouring significance into obviously insignificant trivialities such as Romney not knowing about Kirkland shirts. It makes you appear to be incredibly trite.

Why not answer the questions I asked you. What does Romney stand on anything? What are his real policies. Like one, what does he want to do about Healthcare. Do you really believe he thinks universal health care is wrong?

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
And by your own words, Obama fails even worse.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Silly, the only thing that's relevant is Romney is not a Democrat. That is all many people need to know.

Well said, by the way. I'm getting tired of Romney flacks constantly telling us what we are and are not allowed to consider about him.

It's politics. The same can be said about Obama.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

I have no doubt she nailed it with the true believers. I have much doubt that it played so well with independents and Democrats, however. Her whole "I'm just an ordinary housewife" schtick was laughably phony. "I'm just like you, in a house with five screaming boys. [paraphrased]" Yes, except your house was a 15,000 square foot mansion with servants, not a 1,200 square foot duplex or an even smaller apartment. "I, too, know how tough it is when gas prices go up." Bull! Gas could be $100 per gallon and it would make literally zero difference in her life.

There's nothing wrong with being rich (assuming one got there honestly and ethically, of course). There's plenty wrong with pandering to the not-rich and pretending your life is just like theirs. It is patently dishonest, and it shows contempt for their intelligence.