The Romney's are just too fake

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
The thing is no American expects a family worth hundreds of millions of dollars to shop at Costco. Why would they? Would you?

Hell no. If I had that money I'd hire someone to do all my shopping and I sure as hell wouldn't be buying Kirkland shirts. People that are rich don't buy fucking Kirkland shirts. They don't need to.

Read "The Millionaire Next Door". You would be surprised on how many, many millionaires spend their money. It's much different than how Hollywood and Liberal politicians portray.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
How many millions was Obama born with? How much of Obama's tuition was paid by his parent's millions? How many people has Obama personally put out of work to make a profit off their termination? How many offshore tax havens does Obama have over $50 million dollars hidden in? How many years of tax returns has Obama made publicly available?

and who fucking cares? It's NOT YOUR money.

threads like this amaze me. it start of bitching because romney is rich. when people point out so is Obama they then bring this up.

who cares how he got it or spends it. long as everything is legal i don't give a shit if he puts it in his mattress.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
How wealthy do you think the Obama's were when they became Pres. and First Lady? They had just finished paying off their student loans. I love how every thread about Romney morphs into a anti-thread about the O'bamas ripe with mis-information.

In 2008, Obama's made well over $2M in income, which was LESS than the year previous. If they were just paying off their student loans it was probably due to the generous interest rate they received from the federally-secured loan and tax deduction they received.

Face it, they were millionaires before they entered office.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

threads like this amaze me. it start of bitching because romney is rich. ...
No, the thread started out bitching that the Romneys are fake. There is a big difference.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
it's true, the Obamas never stage photo-ops to make themselves look like average joe's...

2011-09-29-michelleobama550.jpg

Pure gold.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Read "The Millionaire Next Door". You would be surprised on how many, many millionaires spend their money. It's much different than how Hollywood and Liberal politicians portray.

The Romneys are multi, multi-millionares, quite frankly probably billionaires if you included all the money they have farmed out to the kids. With their multiple mansions, elevators for the cars, etc. they are hardly the millionaires next door type. More like the robber barons of the turn of the twentieth century.

The only reason the Romneys would ever set foot in a place like Costco is to score political points by being seen with the little people. Remember she prefers her thousand dollar T-shirts. I bet I personally know more millionaires than Romney has friends who regularly shop at Costco.

BTW, the photo in monovillage's post above was NOT a staged event. Michele Obama has snuck out of the WH to spend some "normal" time shopping at Target, kind of a mental health holiday. Her "disguise" was not the best and she got spotted.

Last edited:

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Personally, I don't find that hard to believe at all, and I think it's a distraction from the point of this thread. Many people, especially women, love shopping as a recreational activity, and I've never found anything particularly unpleasant about shopping at Costco. (Wal-Mart is another story. Disgusting place, I'd be skeptical if the Romneys claim to shop there.)

It's therefore not unreasonable that the Romneys may shop Costco at times, just as I have no trouble believing Michelle Obama shops at Target. I also don't see a conflict between owning both $10K suits and inexpensive, off-the-rack shirts. Yes, I'm sure Romney also has a good stock of custom-tailored shirts to go with those suits, but he doesn't wear them every day. I certainly don't. Some days I wear my "good" clothes, others I wear tees. It's just a normal thing to do.

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
Yeah they're fake. So what? Guess your candidate is doing much better, huh?

Better not vote for him though. Everybody knows that because he's a republican, he's evil scum. He's rich, that assclown! Good thing Obama isnt rich. He doesn't have hundreds of millions, just regular millions! *Regular* millions are morally superior!

Duely blundered from my thunderdolt.

Here we go with the class warfare claim again. Nobody that I know cares that Romney is very rich. The concerns are his policies for the common person. Answer this, are Romney's policies going to help or hurt his own pockets and are Obama's policies going to help or hurt his own pockets?

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
BTW, the photo in monovillage's post above was NOT a staged event. Michele Obama has snuck out of the WH to spend some "normal" time shopping at Target, kind of a mental health holiday. Her "disguise" was not the best and she got spotted.

From what I understand she apparently likes to shop at Target.

Feb 6, 2007

threads like this amaze me. it start of bitching because romney is rich. when people point out so is Obama they then bring this up.

who cares how he got it or spends it. long as everything is legal i don't give a shit if he puts it in his mattress.
It matters because that person is trying to entice me to cast my vote for them to be President of the United States. If someone has spent their lifetime hiding and sheltering money so that it can't be taxed, that does affect me, because it's less money coming into the system, and a greater burden is being placed on everybody else (granted, at a microscopic scale). That, to me personally, is extremely unpatriotic, and that's a valid reason for me to not want that person placed in charge of the country. If you want to run America, I feel it's your patriotic duty to pay taxes, not hide money in other countries to avoid them. So while it may not matter to you, it does matter to me, as I find it very telling about a person's character (which I find Romney overwhelmingly lacking in).

As far as the attempted pandering, it doesn't bother me that Anne Romney is saying she buys Kirkland brand shirts. But what OrByte said absolutely nails it; I don't want to feel like a politician is pandering to me. "Oh, I know just what it's like to walk in the shoes of an ordinary American, despite having the net worth of a combined 5,000 people..." No, you don't. There's nothing wrong with being elite, but thinking that you have to mask that by acting like money means nothing in our society is just fucking ridiculous. "I'm just like everyone else in this country... I wake up wondering just how I'm going to offshore another $10,000,000 so that it won't end up in the hands of the government that I'm now trying to run." Everything about Romney's persona is crafted, it just isn't crafted terribly convincingly, and things like this come across more as shameless pandering than an actual window into the Romney household.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Absolutely agree. That is much of what's wrong with America today. There are too many people who are blind to everything outside of party affiliation. It's irresponsible and it's destroying America. But this thread is about Romney.

That's fine. My intent was not to deflect, but to call out the general partisan hackery that goes on here.

As to Romney, I don't know his heart and neither does anyone else here. You have to have a huge ego to want to run for president irrespective of conservative / liberal, dem / rep leanings. Given the level of probing you get, you need to have a thick skin as well. Basically, I don't know if anyone's motives are 'pure' when it comes to running for president. In the end, you're going to owe the people that put you there.

Like I said, it's politics.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009

It was in response to this, moron. Equating Obama's wealth with Romney's is like equating a Yugo with a Bentley.

"Better not vote for him though. Everybody knows that because he's a republican, he's evil scum. He's rich, that assclown! Good thing Obama isnt rich. He doesn't have hundreds of millions, just regular millions! *Regular* millions are morally superior!"

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Here we go with the class warfare claim again. Nobody that I know cares that Romney is very rich. The concerns are his policies for the common person. Answer this, are Romney's policies going to help or hurt his own pockets and are Obama's policies going to help or hurt his own pockets?

You don't read a lot of P&N do you? There are many, many folks who "care" about his wealth. I'm not sure why, but they do.

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
He is pandering to his base, both sides do it.

The act won't swing independents but it might energize some of the base.

The base on the right dislikes intellectuals and the elite. Since Romney was business smart and not part of academia he's safe on that front. He does come off as elite though so the whole I shop at Costco thing is an attempt to bring that in. Romney's entire strategy seems to be energize as much of the base as possible and hope Obama fails to energize his own base.

On the left they dislike wealth and attachments to big business. Which Obama also panders to.

The irony of it all is that to get as far as a nomination for president basically requires you to be wealthy, elite and an intellectual which are essentially traits that are counter to what the base seems to like.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

amazing that an AP photographer just happened to be there :hmm:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Wow. Facts don't seem to get in the way at all. It was a shopper who spotted her and took the pic.
that is incorrect as far as I can tell.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...ics-take-aim/2011/10/02/gIQATrMLGL_story.html

Neither the White House nor the Associated Press will say how AP photographer Charles Dharapak came to be the only news photographer present at the Alexandria Target to capture Obama’s shopping excursion

“All I can say is that it was the result of good source work on his part,” AP spokesman Paul Colford said, declining to elaborate on the sources or the work involved.

A spokeswoman for Michelle Obama, Kristina Schake, also declined to discuss how the photographs came about.

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
Few give a shit about how much money Romney has. It's how having/gaining that money affects his ability to run for/obtain office of President.

- He *pretends* he's just like everyone else which is an insult to most people, he's not only beyond most people, he's WAY beyond, in wealth
- He *pretends* he understands people, his wife too. They don't and don't have to go through the hardships/difficulties most people do because of their wealth
- He *hides* what he has (the act of hiding is the issue, not what he's hiding)
- Stepping on the little people to acquire his wealth

Ignoring the flipflopping on actual issues (or lack of stance on any issues), people are unhappy with how he portrays himself and how out of touch with most people he is. The issue is how these apply to running for and being president and his honesty/integrity.

waterjug

Jan 21, 2012
Yeah they're fake. So what? Guess your candidate is doing much better, huh?

Better not vote for him though. Everybody knows that because he's a republican, he's evil scum. He's rich, that assclown! Good thing Obama isnt rich. He doesn't have hundreds of millions, just regular millions! *Regular* millions are morally superior!

Duely blundered from my thunderdolt.

OBAMA IS JUST LIKE US!!! His millions are just like the millions we have

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
What I'm waiting for is the eat their own phase of the game.
When Mitt loses, watch just watch how rapidly the right wing media turns on Romney.
Ugly doesn't come close to describing what they will do to Mitt.
There will be so many "I TOLD YOU SO"' that if we could buy stock in that phrase, I'd buy as much as I could.
" it should have been Christie". " it should have been Samtorum". "it should have been anyone but Mitt Romney".
I just hope Mitt's dancing horse can do more than just dance.
Mitt will need a fast get a away. A horse might come in handy.