The real derangement syndrome, AOCDS

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Arrested Development at 3rd grade, I see. You and Trump are made for each other. You probably have human centipede dreams involving the two of you.

Human centipede dreams?

I don't know what that is. I looked that up and I'm amazed that those are the types of movies you watch. Pretty sick dude.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
We both agreed it was mostly media hype. The only difference is you attempted to label it as only "Conservative media" when actually it is all media pushing the AOC obsession.

What do you do all day, sit around and look for bull shit studies that support your personal bias? Talking about sad.

I don't know why you insult me as if you think it bothers me or something. It doesn't, esp since I know you are just a youngster that thinks he is smarter than everyone else. Here is some news for you. You aren't.

again, why is it a bullshit study? Explain what is wrong with their methodology. Or are you comfortable just being a living example of the study, as you repeatedly are around here?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Human centipede dreams?

I don't know what that is. I looked that up and I'm amazed that those are the types of movies you watch. Pretty sick dude.

It was posted elsewhere

7ipgcurgux2z.jpg

but lol, no--I haven't actually seen the film or its sequel(s)? And you don't have to in order to understand the reference. It's been around long enough, and it's shocking enough to get it. It's a very common subject around here, and one that you certainly understand. Stop pretending that you don't get it, Third Grade. (that's your new nickname, until you start trying harder).

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
It was posted elsewhere

7ipgcurgux2z.jpg

but lol, no--I haven't actually seen the film or its sequel(s)? And you don't have to in order to understand the reference. It's been around long enough, and it's shocking enough to get it. It's a very common subject around here, and one that you certainly understand. Stop pretending that you don't get it, Third Grade. (that's your new nickname, until you start trying harder).

News to me. Didn't know there was a movie or a sequel...

I see you are interested in the Human Centipede, I personally am not. I think your centipede reference is a stupid and childish response to anyone. And then you have the gall to insult others for their intelligence etc...

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
again, why is it a bullshit study? Explain what is wrong with their methodology. Or are you comfortable just being a living example of the study, as you repeatedly are around here?

OK conservatives tend to have an active amygdala, big deal. It deals with more than just fear, but that is all you want to discuss.

From what I have read the amygdala has various functions such as emotions, motivations, particularly those that are related to survival. It is also involved in the processing of emotions such as fear, anger, and pleasure.

Nobody is afraid of AOC.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
OK conservatives tend to have an active amygdala, big deal. It deals with more than just fear, but that is all you want to discuss.

From what I have read the amygdala has various functions such as emotions, motivations, particularly those that are related to survival. It is also involved in the processing of emotions such as fear, anger, and pleasure.

Nobody is afraid of AOC.
https://www.iflscience.com/brain/ps...liberals-with-one-strange-thought-experiment/
(And since I doubt you'll read it, it opens up with them discussing where they make liberals more conservative through fear)

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Living in chronic irrational fear is not a 'strong survival instinct.'

Nothing in his article said anything about chronic irrational fear.

I'm not living in chronic irrational fear, so I don't know what you are getting at. I'm thinking that is just your bias talking.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

I'm not living in chronic irrational fear, so I don't know what you are getting at. I'm thinking that is just your bias talking.

I was going to make a longer post about how conservative ideology is defined by being resistant to change, and how that is irrational because the only constant in life is change, but decided not to elaborate.
There are many fears besides the fear of death. The fear you live in is the fear of being wrong.

Reactions: cytg111

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I was going to make a longer post about how conservative ideology is defined by being resistant to change, and how that is irrational because the only constant in life is change, but decided not to elaborate.
There are many fears besides the fear of death. The fear you live in is the fear of being wrong.

Not even close. I don't fear being wrong, we are all wrong at some point.

Like right now you are wrong.

Feb 4, 2009
We both agreed it was mostly media hype. The only difference is you attempted to label it as only "Conservative media" when actually it is all media pushing the AOC obsession.

What do you do all day, sit around and look for bull shit studies that support your personal bias? Talking about sad.

I don't know why you insult me as if you think it bothers me or something. It doesn't, esp since I know you are just a youngster that thinks he is smarter than everyone else. Here is some news for you. You aren't.

Kind of but the non fox guys are more about her reactions/responses to negative stuff and her plan or plans vs reality.
Fox is more about she’s crazy or she named the wrong branch of government by misspeaking
They hype is definitely different.

Honestly she is an interesting person she deserves more coverage simply for being interesting
Evaluating what she wore during a magazine photo shoot or what shoes she wears or what cost she wears is pretty strange. The only thing stranger is what was shown earlier with what’s his name saying no we are not obsessed with her and another guy pointing out the author sent 21 tweets over slightly more than one day. That’s weird.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Are you sure, Third Grade? your posts are literally dripping from the piss.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Nobody is afraid of AOC.
The right wing and Fox News have turned her into one of their boogeymen. By definition a boogeyman is something to fear.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Kind of but the non fox guys are more about her reactions/responses to negative stuff and her plan or plans vs reality.
Fox is more about she’s crazy or she named the wrong branch of government by misspeaking
They hype is definitely different.

Honestly she is an interesting person she deserves more coverage simply for being interesting
Evaluating what she wore during a magazine photo shoot or what shoes she wears or what cost she wears is pretty strange. The only thing stranger is what was shown earlier with what’s his name saying no we are not obsessed with her and another guy pointing out the author sent 21 tweets over slightly more than one day. That’s weird.

I don't put a lot of stock in any of the media BS.

I don't understand why anybody would care if she dances or what she wears or if she can afford to move to DC or not.... I don't get the obsession.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Actually I'm quite confused as to what the essence of 'conservatism' actually is. For starters, what you 'conserve' depends on what you currently have or have recently lost. In China the 'conservatives' seem to be the die-hard Maoists, wanting to return to the 'good old days' pre-market-reforms. That US conservatives are so pro-capitalism is also odd, in that capitalism changed everything (many European conservatives are quite skeptical about capitalism).

I also don't get why they don't tend to demand the restoration of the successors of George III. Or why they are so uninterested in environmentalism, given that it's all about conserving things. Instead US conservatives seem to favour uncontrolled change when it comes to things like climate. I suppose because what they want to 'conserve' is that process of uncontrolled change itself - which seems a mite paradoxical.

Philosphically-minded conservative thinkers in Europe do at least seem to make some effort to be consistent...but maybe that's easier to do in a context where things haven't changed so drastically as they have in North America? I don't really see what there is to 'conserve' over there, apart from that natural environment that conservatives seem for the most part to be happy to see drastically changed if not wrecked.

(I don't like that amygdala claim, because I don't like attempts to reduce social and political arguments to some supposed biological factor...I'd need a lot of convincing, plus they'd have to show which way the causation runs)

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Actually I'm quite confused as to what the essence of 'conservatism' actually is.

"Conservatism is a lack of empathy it is nothing else is what I think"

- Luke O'Neil

Edit: The full quote is better.

Conservatism is a lack of empathy it is nothing else is what I think. No conservative you know cares about anyone but themselves and maybe their families if we're being generous and they will not change until they personally experience a particular hardship of their own and then they go like ah I see why this is bad now. One thing that is funny though is watching people who've boiled their brains on a non-stop diet of Fox News become increasingly isolated and alienated from everyone who ever loved them because they can't stop mainlining Tucker Carlson.

All of the shit that the left wants makes thematic sense as a bundle deal right? Healthcare a larger share of wealth for workers less money spent on bombs. You could look at all of that figure it came out of the same ideology is what I'm saying it's a catalogue of empathy is what I'm saying. But the right has the weirdest potluck beliefs. Welcome to the right: Here's you copy of the Bible and a lifetime subscription to Guns & Ammo for some reason. You love golf now. Go fuck yourself.

Last edited:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Conservatism is about conserving the status quo or restoration of some "good old days." It's about resisting change because any change that isn't a return to how things were is considered to be a change for the worse.
So conservatism can be different depending on what the status quo is/was in that time and place. During the American Revolution, the conservatives were the Tories who fought for King George. In 1980s Soviet Union, the conservatives were the ones trying maintain communist rule. And in America today, the conservatives are trying to take us back to the time before the federal income. Social Security, and the Civil Rights Act.
Naturally, there's varying degrees to all that, but the point is the conservatism is the philosophy of conserving the status quo, and any aspect of conservatism more specific than that is entirely dependent upon what that status quo is.

Reactions: DarthKyrie