The real derangement syndrome, AOCDS

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Great point, had I been talking about wealth distribution it would have had some validity. I'm talking about the AOC hype and her views being simplistic. She has a bunch of popular one line ideas that are very easy to say, but she hasn't explained how to pay for them. "Take the money from rich people" isn't an answer, it's a slogan. I'll have a great deal more respect for her when she produces an actual plan and a real budget. I'm not morally against taking the money from the rich, but I'm pretty sure they don't have enough to cover it.

Sort of as simplistic as "build the wall" or "lock her up"?

Reactions: greatnoob

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Sort of as simplistic as "build the wall" or "lock her up"?
Every bit as simplistic. All sorts of people think the wall, which is actually a fence, is the solution. That it will be an impassable barrier that stops migrants cold. Obviously that's not the case, It's not an insurmountable barrier. As a first layer it's pretty much where everyone starts, and it's a great deal more humanitarian than land mines.
None lethal security is tough to do. Snipers could cut border crossings by 95% in a week, but it's been decided (rightly) that killing is off the table.

The US likes having an underclass to oppress. We like cheap labor that won't take action when we screw them. So we pretend that we're humanitarians and get angry when immigrants are mistreated, while making sure that we do everything possible to attract them. California has set the bar on that one with the sanctuary state idea. We're actually marketing for illegals here. No unions, no state protection, no overtime, no insurance, no rules. Just a bunch of people we can screw at every opportunity while patting ourselves on the back for being such a caring state.

Reactions: pcgeek11

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You might not think it but theres a certainly seems to be a lot of attention coming her way from parts if the conservative sphere of influence.

Now you can equate that with concerns about Trump from the left but Trumps the frickin President! He's supposed to be in the news!
And Trump has done bad shit. AOC has done nothing to warrant the hatred

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Every bit as simplistic. All sorts of people think the wall, which is actually a fence, is the solution. That it will be an impassable barrier that stops migrants cold. Obviously that's not the case, It's not an insurmountable barrier. As a first layer it's pretty much where everyone starts, and it's a great deal more humanitarian than land mines.
None lethal security is tough to do. Snipers could cut border crossings by 95% in a week, but it's been decided (rightly) that killing is off the table.

The US likes having an underclass to oppress. We like cheap labor that won't take action when we screw them. So we pretend that we're humanitarians and get angry when immigrants are mistreated, while making sure that we do everything possible to attract them. California has set the bar on that one with the sanctuary state idea. We're actually marketing for illegals here. No unions, no state protection, no overtime, no insurance, no rules. Just a bunch of people we can screw at every opportunity while patting ourselves on the back for being such a caring state.

Except of course that California's federal delegation has been at the forefront in promoting federal immigration reform which would curb those abuses. It's the south and midwest where comparatively few immigrants live that have refused to let it pass.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

That explains the GOP. It doesn't explain Dems' desires for broad based amnesty to bring illegal immigrants into the fold of America.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
An image that’s being passed off as a nude of congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was debunked as being fake by a foot fetishist on Reddit—because that’s the future we’re living in now.

some heroes don't wear capes

5c0e6be59d860a4b1b51b024-750-411.jpg

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You might not think it but theres a certainly seems to be a lot of attention coming her way from parts if the conservative sphere of influence.

Now you can equate that with concerns about Trump from the left but Trumps the frickin President! He's supposed to be in the news!

Attention is not equal to fear.

The media is more responsible than anything else. Well the media and the extraordinary comments from her that catches the medias attention.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Attention is not equal to fear.

The media is more responsible than anything else. Well the media and the extraordinary comments from her that catches the medias attention.

Actually, it is. It has been shown that Republicans gravitate towards fear--it is what garners most of their attention. This has been shown with fMRI analysis, and it's weird how these biochemical responses track very strongly in such groups with strong politically conservative beliefs.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3092984/

and summarized for the dumb:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...1104/conservatives-big-fear-brain-study-finds

So yeah, Conservatives, in fact, devote shit-tons of attention to things that frighten them. It's actual science! No, this is absolutely not a case where you can handwave "well, that's just your opinion!" /boo-hoo, pouty face mumbling, etc.

I agree that the media is largely responsible: Conservative media actually spends shit-tons of air and print time devoted to terrifying their fans, because they absolutely know they eat that shit up. Do you understand, now, or do you just not give a shit? You could wake up....or not of course.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Actually, it is. It has been shown that Republicans gravitate towards fear--it is what garners most of their attention. This has been shown with fMRI analysis, and it's weird how these biochemical responses track very strongly in such groups with strong politically conservative beliefs.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3092984/

and summarized for the dumb:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...1104/conservatives-big-fear-brain-study-finds

So yeah, Conservatives, in fact, devote shit-tons of attention to things that frighten them. It's actual science! No, this is absolutely not a case where you can handwave "well, that's just your opinion!" /boo-hoo, pouty face mumbling, etc.

I agree that the media is largely responsible: Conservative media actually spends shit-tons of air and print time devoted to terrifying their fans, because they absolutely know they eat that shit up. Do you understand, now, or do you just not give a shit? You could wake up....or not of course.

You are so full of shit. All in your BS about how attention to something is equal to fear. Then you post this little tidbit:

" I agree that the media is largely responsible: "

Which is pretty much what I said. You are just a disingenuous turd.

Fuck you.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
You are so full of shit. All in your BS about how attention to something is equal to fear. Then you post this little tidbit:

Fuck you.

Speaking of disingenuous turds, nice partial quote

"I agree that the media is largely responsible: Conservative media actually spends shit-tons of air and print time devoted to terrifying their fans, because they absolutely know they eat that shit up."

Oops. Someone just flushed. Enjoy the trip.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
So yeah, Conservatives, in fact, devote shit-tons of attention to things that frighten them. It's actual science! No, this is absolutely not a case where you can handwave "well, that's just your opinion!"
What about the 3% of scientists that don't support that?!! Ha!!
Check and mate...you lose...science is fake news!!
:p

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Speaking of disingenuous turds, nice partial quote

"I agree that the media is largely responsible: Conservative media actually spends shit-tons of air and print time devoted to terrifying their fans, because they absolutely know they eat that shit up."

Oops. Someone just flushed. Enjoy the trip.

LOL media is media...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Fuck you.

didn't read, as always. you poor, sad, old man.

I gave you evidence that directly refutes your claim, and you didn't even attempt to refute mine in any kind of honest way. You just say "BS!" Didn't fucking read.

Please tell me: why are you so goddamn terrified of intellect? Were you born that way, or did it come about through direct injection of the very media that you claim is making things terrible for you?

Many of us know the answer; I'm just curious if you are curious enough to give a shit. Or, just continue to dishonestly refuse to support your own claims, hand-wave away that which frightens you (just about everything, by all observable evidence of your posting history here--words that merely challenge your feels seem to stoke your biggest fears), and pout away in the ever-growing puddle of piss you sit in.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
She's a flash in the pan at this point. Impossible to say what the future will bring. Will she stick to her guns, or sell out and line her pockets?

How can she possibly be a flash in the pan "at this point?" That's a label that can only be constructed in retrospect. The very definition of "flash in the pan" requires past history. She has yet to have any history--but I do see that you have made your mind up, anyway, despite some half-hearted claims of "we'll see."

I just wonder what concerns you about her desire to return to policy that historically made this country thrive, but you aren't so bothered by continuing the exact same nonsense that has repeatedly hammered the middle class into the ground and largely increased the poverty rate. I wonder what scares you about her and her policy?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Maybe they are worried her desire to raise the top marginal tax rates will kill the economy by stunting growth. Oh that's right...
a53b58c1-083b-46a0-a6f3-45fdb5f88666.jpg

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

I gave you evidence that directly refutes your claim, and you didn't even attempt to refute mine in any kind of honest way. You just say "BS!" Didn't fucking read.

Please tell me: why are you so goddamn terrified of intellect? Were you born that way, or did it come about through direct injection of the very media that you claim is making things terrible for you?

Many of us know the answer; I'm just curious if you are curious enough to give a shit. Or, just continue to dishonestly refuse to support your own claims, hand-wave away that which frightens you (just about everything, by all observable evidence of your posting history here--words that merely challenge your feels seem to stoke your biggest fears), and pout away in the ever-growing puddle of piss you sit in.

We both agreed it was mostly media hype. The only difference is you attempted to label it as only "Conservative media" when actually it is all media pushing the AOC obsession.

What do you do all day, sit around and look for bull shit studies that support your personal bias? Talking about sad.

I don't know why you insult me as if you think it bothers me or something. It doesn't, esp since I know you are just a youngster that thinks he is smarter than everyone else. Here is some news for you. You aren't.

Reactions: Greenman