The real derangement syndrome, AOCDS

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Cute video. I don't see why it would bother anyone, it could have come out of Disney.

AOC made a big splash with her entry into politics, and wants to fundamentally change the structure of the US. That's easy to say, easy to talk about, easy to promote, not so easy to do.
We've seen the salesmen, we've heard the pitch, now we need the engineer to tell us how it's going to work.

This exactly.

I don't see anything offensive in the video at all. Just a young girl dancing... Big deal.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Abortion is an excuse to rationalize voting for people you know to be utterly immoral.

I have always found it odd that in the name of preventing the death of potential people, some are willing to support Republicans whose policies cause the death of actual people.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
So to be clear you're angry that she's going to push for more energy efficient buildings, greater union membership (meaning more equitable wages for regular people), universal income, and universal health care?

Well yeah. I'm a conservative. I generally oppose vast government overreach.

Most Americans would be over the moon happy about those things. That's what I mean about conservatives thinking America is vastly more conservative than it is. Those are all super popular policies!

Doesn't matter. More harm than good will come of yielding the government so much power.

Odd that conservatives have argued that lack of government experience was a positive thing until right about now. Donald Trump was a failed real estate developer and a TV personality but they have no problem with him, what's the difference?

I didn't vote for Trump, he's a moron, and he isn't the topic.

Why is she out of her mind, specifically? Simply wanting to expand government power makes someone crazy? That's ideology talking, not rational debate.

That anyone thinks that granting such sweeping power to government while simultaneously holding a degree in economics is a severe indictment of the University of Boston.

What's the difference? Things similar to what she is suggesting have been implemented in other countries and they work. The economic policies Republicans keep pushing have been tried here and already failed. It seems if anything Republican policies are far more insane, agree?

I asked you to be specific.

If you think that's it I would strongly suggest you pay more attention to what Republicans are saying. She is plastered all over conservative media all the time...

Because she speaks stupidity, kind of like Trump does...

...you have repeated attempts by conservative publications to attack her upbringing...

Because she lied about it....

...you have Republican elected officials booing when she (and she alone) votes.

A claim she made, which the video of the event does little to substantiate.

They are absolutely losing their minds over her. It's totally irrational.

If you say so.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Well yeah. I'm a conservative. I generally oppose vast government overreach.

Doesn't matter. More harm than good will come of yielding the government so much power.

Right, but we aren't talking about whether or not you support something, you said she was an idiot. If by 'idiot' you meant 'someone I don't agree with' then just say so. I don't agree with you but I don't call you an idiot, should I?

I didn't vote for Trump, he's a moron, and he isn't the topic.

He is certainly relevant as conservatives who complain about her had no problem with him, indicating their objections are not genuine. (hint: we know they aren't)

That anyone thinks that granting such sweeping power to government while simultaneously holding a degree in economics is a severe indictment of the University of Boston.[/quote]

No, that means you ideologically disagree with them. You are coming from a place that granting powers to government is inherently bad and I hate to break it to you but that's simply untrue.

Since it's quite likely she knows more about economics than you do maybe you should instead reconsider why you think that way?

I asked you to be specific.

Republicans argue that tax cuts and government spending cuts will lead to higher economic growth. You need to look no further than your own state to see the failure of that ideology.

Because she speaks stupidity, kind of like Trump does...

Because she lied about it....

If you are saying she lied about her upbringing be specific about what she lied about. (hint: she didn't lie about her upbringing, conservative media has been lying about her because...well.. they are not honest people)

A claim she made, which the video of the event does little to substantiate.

Uhmmm, have you watched the video? It absolutely substantiates it.

If you say so.

I can't think of a single person attacked as much by conservatives when they hadn't even set foot in congress yet. If you can, who is this?

If you actually think this is due to policy you are dreaming.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Here you are exposing your ignorance. It's bad form to try and make a long argument based on easily-proven non-truths. Trump has, for his entire life, been completely rejected by the exact NY Donor class that you desperately need him to be a part of to make your false argument work. Fact is: he's a childish, selfish asshole. He's not a real wealthy person, and he has never behaved like one. He has never been invited to their big parties, because they know he is a selfish cvnt. Trump has explicitly been shunned from these circles, because he is the exact opposite of them. They know it, and he knows it. It's why he desperately wants to be accepted by them, but never will. It's all projection. He craves the love and adulation of the mewling hovel-dwellers that make up his base because these people, despite his abject loathing for them, are the only people that show him the praise that he irrationally believes he deserves.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/24/nyregion/donald-trump-nyc.html
https://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/trump-and-the-truth-his-charitable-giving
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...hedge-fund-tycoon-behind-the-trump-presidency

In which you learn that Trump has been forced to seek support and aid outside of this specific class, for the most part, because he has no friends here, and no one likes him. Even the Kochs fucking hate him, and those guys tend to show up at such events, despite their politics being completely anathema to the majority of big NY donors. (It took Robert Mercer's endorsement and forcing of Pence onto the ticket to get the Kochs to back Trump)

Seriously though: you have to actually donate money to even be considered part of the club. Come one man--that one is just too obvious for you to make such a ridiculous attempt at linking him with these people. :D
Yes and no. Growing up in NY, I’ve always had an awareness of Trump. When I came home from overseas to discover Trump was now a brand and NBC celebrity, I questioned why no one thought to scrutinize his failures in Atlantic City among many others.

I also find it ironic and questionable that only now does the NY AG suddenly have an interest in Trump’s financial entanglements. Where was Albany in the 80s and 90s? What changed I wonder. Just because the NY donor class didn’t accept him doesn’t mean he didn’t enjoy the benefits of swimming amongst them.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yes and no. Growing up in NY, I’ve always had an awareness of Trump. When I came home from overseas to discover Trump was now a brand and NBC celebrity, I questioned why no one thought to scrutinize his failures in Atlantic City among many others.

I also find it ironic and questionable that only now does the NY AG suddenly have an interest in Trump’s financial entanglements. Where was Albany in the 80s and 90s? What changed I wonder. Just because the NY donor class didn’t accept him doesn’t mean he didn’t enjoy the benefits of swimming amongst them.

I don’t know if this is particularly interesting. First, New York State government is almost laughably corrupt. I wouldn’t be even the slightest bit surprised if he bribed officials to look the other way. After all, he clearly bribed the Manhattan DA to not prosecute his kids.

Second though, white collar crime of the sort Trump was almost certainly involved in goes unpunished all the time, all over the country. It’s hard to investigate and prove so it is expensive and the people involved are rich and powerful so they can fight back. Just look at what Mueller uncovered about Paul Manafort, the guy was ludicrously dirty and had been for years. It’s not like it took Sherlock Holmes to uncover his crimes, it just took someone bothering to look. When you become president people tend to bother to look.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Trump has done much to justify scorn. What has AOC done to justify an attempted smear from college days which only highlights Republicans have sticks up their asses? Like I said before I think CMC is pissed and jealous.

If its justified its not derangement.

Also to add to thread, Republicans booed her when she voted for Nancy Pelosi.

BTW - Do we to date know what Trump discussed with Putin in Helsinki when Trump backed him over our own country? Or is asking that question deranged??
Trump is irrelevant to this discussion, that is your TDS getting the better of you.

No one deserves to be smeared, politically or otherwise, but that is unfortunately the nature of politics.

As for AOC, her story is representative of broader political dynamics that make her a lightning rod for both admiration and scorn. I respect her accomplishment but reserve judgment on her politics. Big ideas are great, I look forward to what path she chooses when it is her own party that squashes them.

Nov 25, 2013
Possibly, Susan Collins(?) went in a slightly weird track with her too. Few days ago she said something like I don’t see why people are drawn to this shiny object (referring to AOC)
Weird for a woman to describe another woman as an object. I know there is a generational gap but still really strange words to choose.

That was actually another Democrat, outgoing Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill.

""I'm a little confused why she's the thing,” McCaskill told CNN. “But it's a good example of what I'm talking about, a bright shiny new object, came out of nowhere and surprised people when she beat a very experienced congressman."

"She's now talked about a lot,” McCaskill said of the 29-year-old. “I’m not sure what she's done yet to generate that kind of enthusiasm, but I wish her well. I hope she hangs the moon.”

"The rhetoric is cheap,” she added. “Getting results is a lot harder."

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...ortez-im-a-little-confused-why-shes-the-thing

Almost forgot: 'don't forget the white folks' :

"The two-term Democratic senator also warned Ocasio-Cortez not to ignore the plight of white working-class voters who have distanced themselves from the Democratic Party in recent years.

"I hope she also realizes that the parts of the country that are rejecting the Democratic Party, like a whole lot of white working-class voters, need to hear about how their work is going to be respected, and the dignity of their jobs, and how we can really stick to issues that we can actually accomplish something on,” McCaskill said."

Good luck with that new congress.

Feb 4, 2009
Trump is irrelevant to this discussion, that is your TDS getting the better of you.

No one deserves to be smeared, politically or otherwise, but that is unfortunately the nature of politics.

As for AOC, her story is representative of broader political dynamics that make her a lightning rod for both admiration and scorn. I respect her accomplishment but reserve judgment on her politics. Big ideas are great, I look forward to what path she chooses when it is her own party that squashes them.

Good summary, I like how she thinks big and appears fired up to get something done. However if she becomes like Elizabeth Warren who proposes good ideas for all but they go nowhere because she doesn’t protect her reputation it’s pointless.
AOC so far has been stellar at protecting her reputation.

Feb 4, 2009
That was actually another Democrat, outgoing Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill.

""I'm a little confused why she's the thing,” McCaskill told CNN. “But it's a good example of what I'm talking about, a bright shiny new object, came out of nowhere and surprised people when she beat a very experienced congressman."

"She's now talked about a lot,” McCaskill said of the 29-year-old. “I’m not sure what she's done yet to generate that kind of enthusiasm, but I wish her well. I hope she hangs the moon.”

"The rhetoric is cheap,” she added. “Getting results is a lot harder."

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...ortez-im-a-little-confused-why-shes-the-thing

Almost forgot: 'don't forget the white folks' :

"The two-term Democratic senator also warned Ocasio-Cortez not to ignore the plight of white working-class voters who have distanced themselves from the Democratic Party in recent years.

"I hope she also realizes that the parts of the country that are rejecting the Democratic Party, like a whole lot of white working-class voters, need to hear about how their work is going to be respected, and the dignity of their jobs, and how we can really stick to issues that we can actually accomplish something on,” McCaskill said."

Good luck with that new congress.

Yeah got updated earlier, I’m too lazy to
Correct the post

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I'm really getting a kick out of how scared republicans are of this woman.

I don't know any republicans that are scared of her. She is just a freshman and hasn't been educated or indoctrinated into the fold yet.

Or maybe she is all wind as she did vote for Pelosi after she said she wasn't.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Quite true. The Democrats have hopefully learned the danger of gaming the electoral outcome by normalizing the pied piper candidate.

Trump is quite the chameleon. Prior to the birther movement, Trump fit the profile of the typical NY Democrat donor class. He is not conservative and yet he is simultaneously the voice of far right authoritarianism. He is a fascist but also left of the GOP mainstream. In some ways, he has truly become the boogeyman.

Hence my disappointment that the GOP didn't sink him when they had the chance. If anything, Trump has proven to be the most useful of idiots. The Democrats won’t impeach him if they can get him to dance. At the end of the day, I think Trump lives for the photo op to sign things, regardless of what those things are so long as they feed his insatiable ego.

So-

Blame the Democrats. Nevermind that the 2016 election was the greatest achievement of right wing propagandists in History.

Claim Trump's fascist tendencies are to the left of the GOP, which would make them the real Nazis, I suppose.

Claim the GOP could have stopped Trump when he stole the base they've crazified for decades. The arrogant fools unwittingly created the basis for a leader cult & didn't give it a leader.

Claim Dems won't do anything, anyway, because reasons.

Reactions: greatnoob

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Not sure about the intelligent part or the actual level of "hate" towards her. I think this is the progressheviks' version of Trump's inauguration crowd size. I think the continued promotion of superficial qualities of our new members of Congress is a great start.

Something was lost in the translation from the original Russian.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Abortion is the direct, deliberate killing of an innocent human being. That takes priority over trying to control second- and third- order effects of government regulations.
As I said, very short sighted. Children suffering soon after birth IMO is just as bad, depriving them of a "normal", productive, and healthy life.
You can be both anti-abortion, and pro government regulation (for example) which isn't a bad thing as NUMEROUS other countries have shown. I hope you find someone to vote for that can provide what you are looking for with regards to abortion and policies that actually help the majority of the people.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Which is merely dogma. Has it occurred to you that the govt has yielded too much power to Capitalists from Reagan forward? WTF do you think the Rust Belt is about other than Capitalism moving on to greener pastures?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Yeah. Nothing says aversion to intrusive government power like advocating an agenda where the feds have a say in what you do with your genitals.

I still think TDS should only be a sexually transmitted condition given it's namesake. Short of that, I guess it still works to describe the collection of cognitive dissonance, racism, greed and fear required to support Trump. TDS is what it takes to want a child molester to win office instead of a qualified democrat. TDS is what it takes to ignore 26 Russians involved with the Trump campaign, not to mention the indictments and guilty pleas of 33 people and 3 companies (so far). TDS is what it takes to not care that Trump lies to our troops about pay while they're downrange.

Looks like AOCDS is real, but really just a symptom of TDS. Women, especially brown ones, aren't a key demo for this crowd. Trust women to vote on tax legislation? Republicans don't even trust them with their own vaginas.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
While I agree some of her economic ideas are far-fetched, to put it lightly they are no worse and almost certainly far better than a number of people you have voted for in the past. Did you vote for Bobby Jindal? If so you voted for someone with a worse grasp of economics than Ocasio-Cortez by a long shot and he proved it.

That aside, it's pretty interesting just how far AOC has gotten into Republicans' heads. Booing her when she votes for Pelosi? Showing videos of her dancing in college as if that's a bad thing? Reporting that she went to high school in Yorktown as if that's a scandal when that information is prominently posted on her own website? Whatever, they can keep doing it because they're just playing into her hands.
I think it is very hard to not play the sexism card when they act this way about a woman that has yet to do anything except win an election. They are scared shitless about a woman being "likeable."