the question of industrial hemp

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven
I recall hearing something in a documentary that said that the outlawing of hemp was basically done to favor specific producers of wood-pulp based paper, but I cannot recall the specific names of the government officials and industries involved. Does anyone know the names, or have some links that talk about the history surrounding this in more detail if the information the documentary gave was incorrect?

I will try and track down the show when I get home in a few weeks.

I had heard it was William Randolph Hearst of Hearst publishing the put pressure on the government to outlaw hemp to protect his interest in the paper industry.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..it's used on the backing of some wool carpets among other things.

KurskKnyaz

Dec 1, 2003
Originally posted by: DerekWilson
but its still not legal?

So why isn't it being done?

It will encourage kids to smoke pot. Just like the many different analgesics and anesthetics used in medicine encourage kids to use cocaine and heroin. What kind of message does a society that prescribes OxyContin for back pain send to its young people about opioids?

Basically, same bullshit.

Its like asking: Why is marijuana used for medicinal purposes illegal under federal law even though its medicinal qualities have been established.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: DerekWilson
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: Vic
IOW it's market protectionism sold through a phony moral agenda.

And sorry, I see the "recreational drug culture" everytime I see a beer commercial on TV.

:D

Exactly, let the free market decide where hemp stands, not the federal government.

Are you kidding? The free market failed us, just look at gas prices. We need government price controls and trade laws to keep corporations honest.

this statement and your sig are at odds with eachother ... either this is poorly presented sarcasm (as it seems too much like you are serious), you just want to stir up trouble, or something else I don't understand is going on.

either way I'll bite and go with this ...

the oil and gas market (and indeed the energy market in general) is by no means a free market. many of the issues that lead to current gas prices (not the least of which was the war in Iraq) are a direct result of government involvement and monetary policy causing problems.

Now did the 2002 deregulation of energy commodities have nothing to do with it?

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Research: Diesel designed his engine to run on hemp oil. Oil seed hemp produces 8000 Lbs of seed per acre and pressed 300 gallons of oil. 1940's production? Presses were similiar to those used for olives and left a seed cake that could be ground into a very nutritious flour. Can you see this country self sufficient in fuel in one year?

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
They dont like things not made in America because the best stuff is found outside of it.

Haven't you seen Chris Rock?