The Prestige

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

enwar3

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
The Prestige >>>>>>>>>>> Illusionist.

I saw the illusionist in theatres when it came out (if you remember, they both came out at the same time). The Illusionist sucked so I never saw the Prestige since I figured it sucked similarly. But when I saw the Prestige a few years later I was amazed. Great, great movie.

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006
The illusionist sucked. The story was lame and the whole magic was horrible. The prestige was so much better, better drama, better acting, and better story.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Pocatello
Originally posted by: rudeguy
One of the best movies I have seen in a long time. I loved the story and the characters. Heck, they even threw in Tesla as a main character!

You're kidding right?

I think so. Tesla was a minor character.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Originally posted by: enwar3

I saw the illusionist in theatres when it came out (if you remember, they both came out at the same time). The Illusionist sucked so I never saw the Prestige since I figured it sucked similarly. But when I saw the Prestige a few years later I was amazed. Great, great movie.

A few years, eh?

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: JujuFish
Originally posted by: enwar3

A few years, eh?
Dog years?

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
i enjoyed both, though i wish some of the magic tricks (especially the illusionist) weren't so over the top

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
I've seen the Illusionist, but I don't think I have seen the Prestige. I'll have to see whether I have downloaded it already, or add it to my download list.

And yes, downloading movies and music is still legal in the Netherlands :D

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Shawn
The Illusionist > The Prestige

I liked them both. Both good films :)

Koing

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
A great flick on HD-DVD. A must have Hi-Def movie.

Available in the UK from Amazon UK and Ebay UK. I got my copy from Ebay UK cheap.

The Prestige

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: zinfamous
7/10 Bale was good as usual and I'm always happy to see Scarlett Johansson on screen (particulary in HD!!) but I just felt the movie was a little too over the top and forced in spots. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't rush out and buy it or anything.

KT

Yeah, I enjoyed it, no desire to really see it again; even though a Bowie appearance is always welcome.

Oh yeah, I wasn`t expecting that at all. I actually yelled `fucking awesome`at the TV when he showed up. :laugh:

KT

I threw my beer out the window I was so stoked.

....not really....but I thought about it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: SlickSnake

Available in the UK from Amazon UK and Ebay UK. I got my copy from Ebay UK cheap.

The Prestige

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand how many people still own an HD DVD player?

I know I do; but such a terrible suggestion for those living in reality.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Originally posted by: zinfamous
Originally posted by: SlickSnake

The Prestige

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand how many people still own an HD DVD player?

I know I do; but such a terrible suggestion for those living in reality.

IF you own a HD-DVD player you should browse on Ebay or Half.com or even Amazon (occasionally) for cheap HD-DVD deals. I picked up some great titles on HD-DVD lately for $3 or $4 shipped or less! Just have to watch out for sellers who combine shipping for the best deals if you buy a few from them at a time.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Scarlett>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jessica

KT

Not even close.

I know, that's why I put so many arrows between them.

KT

Dec 26, 2007
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Both The Prestige and The Illusionist were good, with a nod towards the Illusionist.

The Illusionist > The Prestige

This.

I just watched The Prestige over the weekend, and thought it was good but not amazing. The Illusionist was much better in the story telling IMO. The plot was better in the Prestige, but unfortunately not as well executed.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Great movie easily a 9/10 up until the last 10 or 15 minutes then it quickly dives to a 6/10.