The president is a criminal

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Trumpian word salad at its finest. There couldn't be any collusion because all these people will tell you they didn't see any... as if they were in a position where they could have.

His followers don't care. In one ear & right out the other, tickling their amygdalas on the way through.
Think how magnificent it will be when Trump has his state-run media beaming his image throughout the world. Yeah that's a thing he's wanting to combat CNN.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The fundamental conundrum I think Trump constantly faces is that he has no real sense of morality which defaults to it is good if it is good for me. He has no problems in thinking he can identify his own self interest. So his instinctual reactions that get him in to trouble is not knowing how to fake morality. His urge is to defend himself with what is good for me is THE GOOD, and people with real moral foundations can instantly see through that. I think Trump is genuinely mystified as to why he is held in moral contempt. He is at sea when it comes to moral issues. In this way, also, he is blind to his own real self interest. He is morally defective and should not be in a position where moral character is required to inspire and lead. Leadership for him is convincing others that what is good for him is good for them.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The fundamental conundrum I think Trump constantly faces is that he has no real sense of morality which defaults to it is good if it is good for me. He has no problems in thinking he can identify his own self interest. So his instinctual reactions that get him in to trouble is not knowing how to fake morality. His urge is to defend himself with what is good for me is THE GOOD, and people with real moral foundations can instantly see through that. I think Trump is genuinely mystified as to why he is held in moral contempt. He is at sea when it comes to moral issues. In this way, also, he is blind to his own real self interest. He is morally defective and should not be in a position where moral character is required to inspire and lead. Leadership for him is convincing others that what is good for him is good for them.

That sounds right to me making himself an alien of a different species.

Saw this tidbit about collusion not being a crime as Dershowitz and others would have us believe.

It can't be too soon.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Nobody ever said it was a picnic...
The function of the phrase it's no picnic isn't to imply that I thought you thought it was, but to indicate you have reduced its seriousness in your thinking. It was a conscious exaggeration intentionally employed to indicate the nature of my objection which still stands. The issue is that you don't see what is torture as torture, an opinion you would not have, in my opinion, if you experienced it yourself personally. Others have told you the same thing. The issue is important because your support of something evil can lead to a day when that evil is used against you and then your real understanding will have come too late.

The scientific literature tells us that conservatives are low level thinkers, that fear based thinking requires a black and white view allowing for instant reaction lacking in time consuming thoughtful analysis, a survival advantage over deliberative thinking that has wained since the Pleistocene. The fundamental requirement of social life among primates has shifted to do unto others as you would have done to you. Fear wants to see the other as threat rather than an equally entitled self. So how do we get past fear. One way is by familiararity, I think. Imagine all the fear so many conservatives have of marijuana. I think that fear is based on the notion of loss of self control, the sense that feelings of unemaginable violence might be released with loss of inhibition. That is just the fear of what we feel beyond conscious awareness, feelings we were taught were evil and should be repressed. It is the repression that gives them their magnitude, not their innate evil. The spiritual journey is basically one of slaying the dragons we were handed as children. It equates to emotional growth and wisdom.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Nobody ever said it was a picnic...

In this thread you've gone from

"waterboarding absolutely is not torture"

to

"so what I hate terrorists. fuck them"

to

"Fuck it, I love torture for anyone that I think needs it."

I wonder when you will ever present an argument that has some sort of evidence, experience, or thought behind, rather than meaningless platitutdes like "it's no picnic!" that doesn't mean shit for anything.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

to

to

I wonder when you will ever present an argument that has some sort of evidence, experience, or thought behind, rather than meaningless platitutdes like "it's no picnic!" that doesn't mean shit for anything.

How do you expect him to do that when he's parroting off things he's heard other people say and then attempting to justify it himself without exploring its basis in the first place?

The era of Trump often involves Schrodinger's Noun. It's a Muslim ban until it isn't. It's torture until it isn't. No Collusion, Collusion isn't wrong, wait yes it is if the Dems do it. No justifying basis for the change, just a 1984-esque change of position without any logic or acknowledgement.

pcgeek11 maybe has isolated moments of independent thinking like when he condemned Trump's no-show and conflicting excuses re: Armistice day. Even then I'm sceptical because logically a moment like that should logically cause anyone's positive opinion of Trump to fundamentally unravel.

- edit - I decided to go over pcgeek11's posts on the "torture" subtopic in this thread, and IMO the most concise summary of his opinion of waterboarding and whom it should be used on is "meh", except of course when Moonbeam suggested waterboarding the President as a quicker means of running the Mueller investigation, at which point pcgeek11 pointed out that:

There is a huge difference in waterboarding a terrorist and a US Citizen who is the President.

And concluded that argument there. So waterboarding is isn't a big deal until it is. He also concluded that waterboarding "is not a picnic", which is as insightful a a conclusion as waterboarding person A is different in some way to waterboarding person B.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

to

to

The ONLY statement above that you even come close is this one: "so what I hate terrorists. fuck them" That is exactly how I feel about waterboarding terrorist.

The rest of your post is pure garbage as usual.