The people of America just helped Disney set a record for its live action movie adaptations

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
For the company, revisiting classic storylines in this format is nothing new. "Harry Potter" star Emma Watson transformed into Belle in 2017's "Beauty and the Beast," while Tom Hanks took on Geppetto for the newly-released "Pinocchio." But neither update caused an uproar among quite like "The Little Mermaid." Wonder why

The trailer set a record with over 1 million dislikes. Since this isn't the first live action adaptation I wonder why, myself.

The Little Mermaid Trailer Just Reached An Unfortunate Milestone (msn.com)

Well...
Though YouTube has disabled the ability for the average user to see the number of dislikes on a video, certain extensions make this number visible again. YouTuber Ryan Kinel, who has access to this function, announced that the trailer for "The Little Mermaid" hit 1 million dislikes ... and the number is only increasing. Regarding video likes, this number sits at approximately 625,000.
The comment section is flooded with racist remarks from those who feel Ariel should be played by a white actress.

Both sides, right??

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
The comments are so cringe.

facepalm-picard.jpg

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Not a very flattering camera shot. The angle could be better?
Teaser trailer itself looked fine.
"Wish I could be part of that world" is a hell of a euphemism.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
From "the site which shall not be named":

That doesn't even make sense. Where merpeople live there's little to no uv light so there would be no selection pressure for increased melanin levels. UVC usually only penetrates a few inches into ocean water. UVA and UVB can penetrate quite a bit further, but the euphotic zone where photosynthesis is possible only ever extends down 200 meters or so in the very best case scenario. Poseidon's kingdom is at the bottom of the sea. Why is the Little Mermaid black? How does laundry end up around the agitator in the washing machine when it extends above the water line? When is daddy coming home? These are all question to which there is no answer.

1663255712998.png

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I'm active in a few Disney forums, because I like the parks, but there has been a ton of hate over this decision from day one. I'm sure it's worse with the GOP's current attacks on Disney. And I'm sure it's worse again because they are making the whitest princess black. All of the official characters and non-movie based merch has maintained the original animated designs, so it isn't like the redhead version is going away.

It'll be interesting to see how it does. I might actually go to it because I think it is supposed to be somewhat different than the original. I think most Disney fans, though, want the play by play identical movie with live actors. Those are all the ones that have done well. I personally think that is stupid and really liked that Dumbo was a new story.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
From "the site which shall not be named":

View attachment 67598
ROFL! Such a snowflake.

Never mind the fact that in the deep, deep, deep blue sea (where no light dares tread) being white is a competitive disadvantage. That’s why the majority of deep sea predators are black…keeps them from standing out against a black background. Some, I’ve heard, have adapted being so black they absorb all light and don’t reflect any at all.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
ROFL! Such a snowflake.

Never mind the fact that in the deep, deep, deep blue sea (where no light dares tread) being white is a competitive disadvantage. That’s why the majority of deep sea predators are black…keeps them from standing out against a black background. Some, I’ve heard, have adapted being so black they absorb all light and don’t reflect any at all.

It was a satirical comment, not meant in seriousness.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm active in a few Disney forums, because I like the parks, but there has been a ton of hate over this decision from day one. I'm sure it's worse with the GOP's current attacks on Disney. And I'm sure it's worse again because they are making the whitest princess black. All of the official characters and non-movie based merch has maintained the original animated designs, so it isn't like the redhead version is going away.

It'll be interesting to see how it does. I might actually go to it because I think it is supposed to be somewhat different than the original. I think most Disney fans, though, want the play by play identical movie with live actors. Those are all the ones that have done well. I personally think that is stupid and really liked that Dumbo was a new story.
It's funny how the 'best person for the role' people don't even consider that the best actress for that role might have been black. That's all Disney should answer with 'we followed your wishes and selected the best person for the role'.

Like, it's a fucking mermaid. Mermaids aren't black or white because they don't fucking exist. It's like people being mad that there are black elves as they did recently.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
This is barely news. It's been going on throughout popular culture especially these past 5 years. There is a huge reactionary backlash. Comment sections on youtube, as well as written reviews on imdb, are clogged with far right assholes with little if any prior activities on the site. They are sent there from conservative sites like reddits, etc. Some are using VPN's to allow them to post more than once. Another prominent recent example is Rings of Power, the LOTR series that was just released by Amazon. They were able to get an enormous number of dislikes on the trailers by sending people there to downvote it.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
It's funny how the 'best person for the role' people don't even consider that the best actress for that role might have been black. That's all Disney should answer with 'we followed your wishes and selected the best person for the role'.

Like, it's a fucking mermaid. Mermaids aren't black or white because they don't fucking exist. It's like people being mad that there are black elves as they did recently.

That could certainly be true in a given case, but representation of black people on television shows and movies has shot way up these past 5 years. Also gays and TG's, as has the number of women playing leading roles in action and adventure movies. It has happened very fast. The idea that Hollywood is not strongly considering membership in certain groups as a casting criteria is hard to believe. And while this is not something that bothers me, as I said above, it is causing a big reactionary backlash.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I DO agree that casting people from different races or genders into the parts of "historical characters" is just wokeness run amok, but for fictional characters...meh.
I've always scoffed at and railed against the old casting of white people in makeup for the parts of native americans...(Burt Lancaster, I'm looking at you!) But, it was common as hell until maybe the 60s. They might find actual natives for general casting...extras, but leads were often just white actors/actresses heavily made to look "native."

Reactions: Captante

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Personally, I’ve enjoyed the live adaptations so far and will likely enjoy this one as well.

im salty bout the upcoming commercials being added to Disney+ tho

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
We can all fall for this trap. I have a friend, firmly woke on the left and father of a trans child fall in this trap when he learned that the new Lord Of The Rings series was coming out and with black dwarfs. He was consumed by LOTR and fantasy even pre teenager and this just somehow cracked a ripple in his foundation.. short lived as it was, it was there for a second and to my mind, if it can happen to my friend, it can happen to anyone.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
This is barely news. It's been going on throughout popular culture especially these past 5 years. There is a huge reactionary backlash. Comment sections on youtube, as well as written reviews on imdb, are clogged with far right assholes with little if any prior activities on the site. They are sent there from conservative sites like reddits, etc. Some are using VPN's to allow them to post more than once. Another prominent recent example is Rings of Power, the LOTR series that was just released by Amazon. They were able to get an enormous number of dislikes on the trailers by sending people there to downvote it.
This is true. Many Disney movies have gotten terrible reviews on Rotten Tomatoes before the movie has even been released.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I DO agree that casting people from different races or genders into the parts of "historical characters" is just wokeness run amok, but for fictional characters...meh.
I've always scoffed at and railed against the old casting of white people in makeup for the parts of native americans...(Burt Lancaster, I'm looking at you!) But, it was common as hell until maybe the 60s. They might find actual natives for general casting...extras, but leads were often just white actors/actresses heavily made to look "native."

What do you think about a Hispanic actress playing Marilyn Monroe? This personally does not bother me (Ana de Armas is scorching hot and is purportedly good in the role) but it does seem to violate the rules of "cultural appropriation."

Reactions: 13Gigatons

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Remember the Super Bowl Cheerios commercial? Cute girl talking family planning with her father. Then they cut to the wife who is white. Racists lost their fucking minds. General Mills got so much hate mail. Know what they did? Said, "screw you bigots" and they made a second commercial with the same cast.

However, it's both sides, right?

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
I remember the commercial. But it was not for a Super Bowl. It aired in May 2013. I also remember the angry social reaction the ad stirred up.

My son is mixed. His skin hue was a bit darker than this little girl when he was a toddler.

Angry and unfulfilled people fly into a rage if the sun goes behind a cloud.

The world is White. The world is Black.
It turns by day and then by night.
A child is White. A child is Black.
Together they grow to see the light.

Three Dog Night - 1973

kitkat22

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2005
To be honest, I watched the preview and got chills. I thought the details were amazing and it sounded fantastic! She's black. So what! I am definitely going to watch it! I almost want disney to make every character a different race going forward and shove it in the faces of all the racist haters. I think it would be incredible to just continue around the world and celebrate the diversity of culture and thought we have. And do it with the the people of that culture.

One that I think would really rattle the cages of racist individuals would be to have a Native American movie from their perspective and history. They have some of the most amazing stories and legends. Get voice actors from the appropriate tribes and have them teach the animators and writers their story. Not from our perspective but theirs.