The Party of the Poorly Educated in the Trump Era

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Fair point. Rust belt voters perhaps gravitated more towards globalization.

I’ve lived in several parts of the deep South. The place I saw the most Confederate flags flying was the Inland Empire. I tend to see Trump bumper stickers on the trucks of trades people.

So what? We have delusional racist idiots from sea to shining sea but they're badly outnumbered in a lot of places, particularly in CA. They still rule in others & Trump is depending on all of them to win re-election. You know, as if they even have a prayer of making America White again.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Fair point. Rust belt voters perhaps gravitated more towards globalization.

I’ve lived in several parts of the deep South. The place I saw the most Confederate flags flying was the Inland Empire. I tend to see Trump bumper stickers on the trucks of trades people.
I'll never forget. I can't remember who said it or the words, just the meaning. People who live close to the sea have a broader view of things, are more liberal, free thinking, fair minded. Landlocked populaces aren't. So yeah, confederate flags and Trump bumper stickers in the inland states, makes sense. Those are the red states. It's the coastal states, except maybe the south-east (Florida boggles my mind) that are blue. But what happened to Pennsylvania? I hope they turn blue on election day 2020.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I'll never forget. I can't remember who said it or the words, just the meaning. People who live close to the sea have a broader view of things, are more liberal, free thinking, fair minded. Landlocked populaces aren't. So yeah, confederate flags and Trump bumper stickers in the inland states, makes sense. Those are the red states. It's the coastal states, except maybe the south-east (Florida boggles my mind) that are blue. But what happened to Pennsylvania? I hope they turn blue on election day 2020.

That's not true at all. Paul LePage was twice elected governor of Maine.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

A fact which I still cannot understand. Maine has voted majority D for POTUS in every election since 1988 (though they have sometimes split one electoral vote for the R). How can they twice elect someone that far to the right? We've had repubs in the governor's mansion here in CA but they were moderate repubs.

Edit: never mind, just looked at his electoral history. He was elected by plurality votes in two elections where he faced several liberal opponents. The libs split their vote there.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
That's what the dems should be campaigning on, make everyone a WASP.
That stance is already taken by the Republicans and their white nationalist base. You know, that fetid stew of bigotry, ignorance and resentment which you pretend not to endorse. But it leaks through your pretense of "I'm just a common sense, middle of the road guy" all the damn time, like diarrhea through a diaper.

Look! You've got some on you right now! :eek:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
That stance is already taken by the Republicans and their white nationalist base. You know, that fetid stew of bigotry, ignorance and resentment which you pretend not to endorse. But it leaks through your pretense of "I'm just a common sense, middle of the road guy" all the damn time, like diarrhea through a diaper.

Look! You've got some on you right now! :eek:
It appears you have a great deal more knowledge about diarrhea and diapers than I do, I yield to your expertise.
Though I'd be curious to see a post of mine in which I actually did endorse any of those things, just to give some credence to your ad hominem attack.

Reactions: Starbuck1975

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
No one said it's universally true, sheesh. And WTF is Paul LePage?
Yeah, look at the USA map Red vs. Blue states. All that red in the middle, all that blue at the coasts. I rest my case.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Resign? Trump should have fired him when this broke just to cover his own ass. It's fucking outrageous that Miller is still there or that he ever was there in the first place. White Nationalism is poison for this country & we all need to understand that. Pure fucking poison.

Are you kidding. Miller is Trump’s right hand man. He’ll never get rid of him.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
LOL somehow I missed this little gem of a quote from Trump back in 2016:

Donald Trump speaks what's on his mind, often as soon as it appears there. And after winning his third-straight contest in Nevada Tuesday, Trump credited his "poorly educated" supporters, in part, for the win.

"We won the evangelicals. We won with young. We won with old. We won with highly educated. We won with poorly educated. I love the poorly educated," he said during his victory speech.

So there you have it, the only explanation necessary for why the poorly educated love Trump: because Trump loves them! We know because he directly said so, singling them out from an array of groups for special praise.

It's a symbiotic relationship. They're like yin and yang.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
and amazingly, "thoroughly successful" people (high salary, only) quite often demonstrate their dumb-as-bag-of-hammers status, without prompting.

such is the nature of your straw argument, my friend.

So, sure, you need to make a case for either side of your coin, which you curiously do not do. job /= education. lol--look at the dumbfuck in the Whitehouse.

educated means educated (a defined term, based on degree attainment). That's the point. everything else is irrelevant in this analysis, but I don't think you understand that. You're conflating this with a causal relationship to intellect absolutely ignores the data, the statistics...and simply reveals a profoundly naive understanding of modeling.
Zinfamous already suggested the problem SomeOnesMind1 shows in his assumptions and perceptions.

There are a lot of people who've finished college, and perhaps even more who never gained entry, who assume that the purpose of an education is to "get a better job, develop the skills to start a business, or acquire a lot of money and material things".

The origin of "The University" was a Spanish institution around the time of the Renaissance -- the "University" of Salamanca. Whether the students were primarily from the wealthy, or there was some opportunity for students selected from the lesser classes, the purpose of the institution was to promote Truth-seeking.

Today's more desperate college students choose their majors according to a potential to command higher income. They choose a square on a chessboard -- land on it, and adjust to the consequences. A person can be "well-schooled" like a Donald Trump, or he can be well-educated -- the two notions do not coincide.

People can obtain their education in different ways. Dickens worked in a blacking factory while his father was in debtor's prison, and one has to wonder how he acquired his knowledge of the King's English and human nature to write some of the best classics in the language. By the way -- adolescents should read "Great Expectations" with enough adult guidance to be able to actually learn something from it. Sam Clemens -- Mark Twain -- another example. Edison didn't go to university, and he was publishing a mobile newspaper on a railroad train by the time he was ten or eleven. Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard in his first or second year. Eric Hoffer was struck blind at the age of six, regained his sight around 15 and began reading furiously for fear he might lose his sight again. He worked in various blue-collar jobs -- he was a longshoreman. And he earned his PhD eventually after he had published his ground-breaking book -- "True Believer" -- applicable to understanding cults like the Trump Base.

But for many of these examples, money may not have been their primary objective. Money is not a reliable indicator of intelligence; inherited money, such as Trump's, even less so.

People choose a square on the chess-board, they land on it, they commit to it, and if they don't do requisite market studies, they may wonder why they aren't making progress. We would hope they chose a square because of something they enjoyed doing. If they spend all their energy and time with the goal of just getting rich, they may never learn anything, they may never understand anything but the limited knowledge they have for their method of getting rich. They may never read much or acquire much from that reading.

Howard Schultz might have become a journalist because he graduated as a "Communications" major. He managed to get mid-level management jobs, perhaps for being in the right place at the right time. Then, he chose to borrow money and start three barista bars.

Let me ask anyone. Is your self-concept amenable to being the proprietor of three barista bars? Or maybe you wanted to be a college professor, or a police detective, or a nurse, or a forest ranger, public school teacher or any number of things that only have a certain limited income potential. If you stick with that one thing, does it make you stupid? And if you don't get rich after getting a college degree, does that make you stupid? And if you get rich but know little -- like Trump -- does that make you smart?

It is the myths I've tried to explore here that have misled people into supporting the Disaster-in-Chief, Donald Trump. For the most part, they have nothing in common with the man born with a gold cell-phone in one hand and a silver spoon up his keester. And the inability to see that makes them either ignorant, or incapable of admitting their ignorance and so just plain stupid.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Ooooo Kkkkkkkk.......and your point is?

Take Obama's quote: "We simply cannot allow people to pour into the United States undetected, undocumented and unchecked."

Now show me anyone on here who disagrees with that.
What do you think about the quote I posted? Do you agree?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Ooooo Kkkkkkkk.......and your point is?

Take Obama's quote: "We simply cannot allow people to pour into the United States undetected, undocumented and unchecked."

Now show me anyone on here who disagrees with that.
You can't let people believe this story about Obama having a sane border policy! What would this mean for history -- for the future of the White Race? You can't let the Obama presidency have a positive assessment by historians 200 years from now! It will throw the rosy future of the White Race off course!

Why do you think we elected Trump?! We did it to promote a proper historical record showing the most degenerate scoundrel ever to appear on TV since the '36 Berlin games as better than the Black Guy!

You have to accept the Fascist imperative of the Truth! It's the Truth I say! Because Trump himself says so! Because he's our team captain, because we won and you lose, and this is no different than an NFL game or the Speed channel -- except that you can cheat and get favorable court rulings after stacking the courts to rig the game further!

Maybe we only won through the Electoral College, even though those 3 million winning votes for Hillary came from the 3 million illegals known to be living in California! But we won! If we won by only one vote -- we get our way, no compromise and screw you!

[You folks know me better, and this is an attempt at sardonic wit -- of course.]

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
What do you think about the quote I posted? Do you agree?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

To be fair... 100% fair..
That exact same sentence, coming from Obama and coming from Trump means two ENTIRELY different things.
Do you agree with that?
Probe your mind until you agree with that, and we will continue from there.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
To be fair... 100% fair..
That exact same sentence, coming from Obama and coming from Trump means two ENTIRELY different things.
Do you agree with that?
Probe your mind until you agree with that, and we will continue from there.

No, I dont.