The Outer Worlds

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I just ignore guns i find and upgrade the guns i've had since basically the start of the game.

Tinkering lets you upgrade the weapon level (up to 5 levels above your own), which increases it's base damage. Then just throw in upgrades where applicable.

There are only a few weapons in the game, once you find one you like, just tinker to keep it's level similar to your own. No need to keep hunting around for the SAME gun you already have, but with a higher base level. Just a waste of time in most situations compared to just tinkering it up to your level.

With rank 80 science your tinkering costs are capped as well, so it doesn't become a complete money sink.

Oh I like that (it's basically the same as in Fallout, anyway). ....Borderlands never tended to bother me with gun levels anyway because, eh, when Willow is available, you can just level up your good guns with you. ....the farming can be such a grind, and ain't nobody got time for that all the time (Especially when level caps start increasing and you otherwise would have to find all that crap again. That was always a no-go for me)

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I need to find time to play this. Put in about 1 hour last week and haven't had a chance since. I went with Gamepass Ultimate since there are a ton of games available. Much cheaper than buying them.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I have stopped playing this game. I put about 20+ hours into it and it just isn't the game I hoped for. Not worth the purchase price at all IMO. I'd rather play FONV and though it doesn't look as pretty, its a much better game.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Played during my ban.
The main quest can be completed quite fast. Faster than KOTOR or Mass Effect. You really need to waste as much time as possible on side quests if you want your sixty dollars worth of entertainment.
It was fun, but didnt give me the same warm fuzzy as other titles from Obsidian. Kinda wishing I'd waiting for a sale.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I have stopped playing this game. I put about 20+ hours into it and it just isn't the game I hoped for. Not worth the purchase price at all IMO. I'd rather play FONV and though it doesn't look as pretty, its a much better game.
When it's available for $1 with xbox games pass, i'm really not sure why anyone would think it's "worth" $60...

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I'm pretty meh on this after spending quite a bit of time on it.
  • As a shooter it is really flat. The enemy AI is terrible and encounters feel binary. Controls are very sub par for shooters.
  • As a RPG the choices don't feel very meaningful. The skills a just hard gates. There doesn't seem to be many creative solutions to problems since you have a world with very low interaction. The most meaningful thing I did was slaughter the whole sub light faction and nobody seem to care. My crew isn't horrified. I'm not getting blowback from any other factions. Meh.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
well,

1. the AI is bad. This is partly balanced by enemies being strong and hitting hard, but yeah, the combat is rather trivial; which is a shame, because teh gunplay is actually pretty decent. Not that FO was any more challenging than this. Enemies are really blind, and will stop following you almost immediately if you run away.
2. i liked the UI, controls, movement, graphics, environments, all in all i liked this better than FO.
3. story is really simple, and short. I never really felt invested in any of it. I thought the quests were ok, although it's too easy to just KILL QUEST GUY, but i respect that the option was given to me in the first place.

Pretty much the same quality of game as FO or Skyrim, although Skyrim has the better environments.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
think of this game as a platform, a starting point to better and larger games perhaps even in the same series/universe. Obsidian know what they're doing, they just need resources and time to execute.

now please give me Outer Worlds: Tactics - 4-6 man squad, turn based isometric/top-down RPG.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Too many? there are way more ARPGs than there are isometric classic style ones.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
think of this game as a platform, a starting point to better and larger games perhaps even in the same series/universe.

A starting point? It should have been much better then. They could have made a much better game IMO. A better game would have been a better starting point. Now I will not buy the second or third game if they make more. This one ruined it for me and after spending $59.99 I feel like I got burned.

Ending point is more like it. Looking at reviews though there are so many great reviews for this game so I figure they think they blew it out of the park.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
A starting point? It should have been much better then. They could have made a much better game IMO. A better game would have been a better starting point. Now I will not buy the second or third game if they make more. This one ruined it for me and after spending $59.99 I feel like I got burned.

Ending point is more like it. Looking at reviews though there are so many great reviews for this game so I figure they think they blew it out of the park.

I only got about 20 hours entertainment from it. At 60 bucks that OK but not great.
Fallout 4 has given me about 1200 hours entertainment, for the same price.
So, theres that.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I only got about 20 hours entertainment from it. At 60 bucks that OK but not great.
Fallout 4 has given me about 1200 hours entertainment, for the same price.
So, theres that.

Um, this game is ~1 week? out at this point. And I'm sure you have all of the DLC for FO as part of your 1200 hours?

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Too many? there are way more ARPGs than there are isometric classic style ones.
Several big isometric RPGs in the last 2-3 years.
Also, I don't want ARPGs. I want turn-based RPGs like KOTOR and KOTOR 2.
From just the last few years isometric RPGs have had:
divinity original sin 2 in 2017
Pillars of eternity 2 in 2018
Grim dawn in 2016

And going back another 2-3 years gives you the first game of both divinity and pillars of eternity series. On top of F2P stuff like path of exile.

Whereas besides the outer worlds, The witcher 3 and Dragon age inquisition are the only "recent" RPGs i've cared about, and they were 4-5 years ago.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Grim dawn in 2016

And going back another 2-3 years gives you the first game of both divinity and pillars of eternity series. On top of F2P stuff like path of exile.

Whereas besides the outer worlds, The witcher 3 and Dragon age inquisition are the only "recent" RPGs i've cared about, and they were 4-5 years ago.

KOTOR was turn-based? I think of them more as skill-check D&Dish RPGs. Turn-based usually describes games like Fallout 1 and 2, Shadow Run, etc.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
KOTOR was turn-based? I think of them more as skill-check D&Dish RPGs. Turn-based usually describes games like Fallout 1 and 2, Shadow Run, etc.

You could do KOTOR in turns if you turned on Auto-pause for every little thing. Similar to Baldurs Gate.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Grim dawn in 2016

Turn based non-isometric? That's a weird combo. JRPGs come to find with FF and all the clones. Witcher and dragon age certainly aren't. Turn based games are a real rarity in RPGs anymore unfortunately.

Did you try Kingdom Come? You might like it based on your other choices.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
It auto pauses on entry to combat, and allows you to pause and manage all of your party members moves for each round. If that doesn't count for turn based, I don't know what does.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Did you try Kingdom Come? You might like it based on your other choices.
Yeah, it was okay, but still not really my thing, even Witcher 3 isn't really my thing, just one of the decent ARPGs from the last few years.

TBH, i just want KOTOR 3. Sad that we instead got an old republic MMO that lost much of what made KOTOR good.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If you play on xbox pass, and buy the game later, can you use saves from the pass on the purchased game?

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
If you play on xbox pass, and buy the game later, can you use saves from the pass on the purchased game?
Most games appear to use cloud saves tied to your microsoft account, if using an xbox console then this should happen for pretty much every game. If playing on PC then it should also happen, but even if it doesn't looking through some microsoft forum posts it doesn't appear too difficult to manually locate the save files and back them up yourself so when you purchase the game later you can just migrate the save files. Though for most games that shouldn't even be needed assuming you're using microsoft's app store to purchase the game outright, it should be tied to your account and thus have the cloud saves available.