The Outer Worlds

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I've seen a ton of people talking about this game, yet there aren't any topics here. I will be waiting for the Steam version next year, but I was wondering if all the reviews and praise are warranted (assuming anyone here is playing it). I loved New Vegas and still regard that as the best FPS Fallout to date and everyone is basically saying this is how Fallout should have been. I'm never known to watch streams or videos of a game I plan on buying (hate spoilers) but this game is making it very difficult to not check it out. From what I've read, it's only available on the Windows Store and Epic for now but it's coming to Steam next year. I figure by the time it hits Steam, the game will have plenty of updates and maybe even some DLC to follow along.

So, if anyone here has played it, what are you thoughts?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I've been playing, but only a few hours up to the point where you leave the first planet.

It certainly feels and looks like Fallout meets No Man's Sky, which I like, and the sort of nonsensical tone comes across as charming. The graphics are nice and the controls are nice and simple; I also appreciate the relaxed RPG skill trees and crafing--as someone who doesn't really get into heavy inventoried and statistic based games. It seems to strike a nice balance in that regard. Obsidian has certainly come some distance from New Vegas, and what they've picked up along the way is clearly displayed for the player.

Runs great on Vega too btw

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i have 10 hours logged in it so far.

My thoughts:

It feels like fallout, only a lot more fruity.
The characters are a lot more cynical then fallout, id say its more on the level of borderlands.
The story has a bioware vibe to it, the cross companion conversations remind of me Dragons Age.

The game tho isn't perfect.
I feel like i have to drag myself though the story.
The open worlds are very limited, movement is not really 3 dimensional, as your characters will have troubles jumping / climbing certain obstacles.

Crafting is a joke... why did they even bother.

Is it worth 60 dollars?
No... i sort of regret paying that much.
The game is about as fun as Rage 2 was, and i think its better waited to be purchased on a sale.

I havent beaten the game, as it feels like im forcing myself to play it mid way though, but eventually i will finish it and keep you updated later.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
i have 10 hours logged in it so far.

My thoughts:

It feels like fallout, only a lot more fruity.
The characters are a lot more cynical then fallout, id say its more on the level of borderlands.
The story has a bioware vibe to it, the cross companion conversations remind of me Dragons Age.

The game tho isn't perfect.
I feel like i have to drag myself though the story.
The open worlds are very limited, movement is not really 3 dimensional, as your characters will have troubles jumping / climbing certain obstacles.

Crafting is a joke... why did they even bother.

Is it worth 60 dollars?
No... i sort of regret paying that much.
The game is about as fun as Rage 2 was, and i think its better waited to be purchased on a sale.

I havent beaten the game, as it feels like im forcing myself to play it mid way though, but eventually i will finish it and keep you updated later.
This is mostly accurate, particularly the first two thoughts. It's fine but I think New Vegas was still a lot better. NV felt a lot more grounded to me. Now admittedly, NV was a bit of a slog up through the first Legion encounter imo and I'm only toward the end of the first settlement in OW, but it's still a chore to care about anything going on in OW. I'll still play through, I got nothing else to do and it's not bad. Also only paid $1 to play it on XBox Gamepass Ultimate (on PC) for the first month.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I have around 20 hours in, very enjoyable game. Good humor, good RPG elements, could be a bit deeper in some regards, would've been nice to see more party character interaction than just their one character quest line.

That being said, I paid $1 with Xbox game pass for PC trial, and I doubt i'll be buying the game outright after this 1 month.

So $1 for 20+ hours of gameplay is well worth it for me, but I can see being disappointed if you paid the full $60 for sure.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
im waiting on a new SSD because i dont have teh space to install it.

ALLEGEDLY this game was going to AMAAAAZING, like "fallout 4 but so much betterer" according to every youtube reviewer on youtube, but hearing it being called "Rage 2" doesn't exactly whet my appetite.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
like previous posts said,the game is a solid 8 from what i've seen. Not arcadey as Borderlands and not very deep in terms of stats and crafting. waiting for a sale.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I don't mind a light crafting model so long as there's more incentive to actually do some shooting. There are plenty of games where you spend more time crafting then playing. I mean, if that's what you like then that's fine, but when I need to over-scrutinize what my loadout stats and effects are for 10 minutes that just takes me away from the actual game play. One could argue that heavy dialogue does the same thing but I don't consider that true when you are making decisions that affect your role in the game, etc.

I like the game overall, it's fine, but I was finding myself sort of bored with it last night... also don't really like having companions with me (much like fallout) because I find them more of a liability than anything. I do like having the ability to tweak how they function and behave though.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I don't mind a light crafting model so long as there's more incentive to actually do some shooting. There are plenty of games where you spend more time crafting then playing. I mean, if that's what you like then that's fine, but when I need to over-scrutinize what my loadout stats and effects are for 10 minutes that just takes me away from the actual game play. One could argue that heavy dialogue does the same thing but I don't consider that true when you are making decisions that affect your role in the game, etc.

I like the game overall, it's fine, but I was finding myself sort of bored with it last night... also don't really like having companions with me (much like fallout) because I find them more of a liability than anything. I do like having the ability to tweak how they function and behave though.
Crafting amounts to install limited selection of mods to suit your flavor, spend money to upgrade damage to keep your favorite weapon competitive instead of upgrading if you prefer. I think this strikes the balance you're looking for. There's a perk to do 25% more damage if you don't have companions...

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Just be aware this game is on gamepass which is currently a dollar for the first month.

gerald95

Oct 16, 2019
Sound's like an interesting game. I am a fan of fallout and really liked No Man's Sky idea which wasn't really implemented right. Maybe will give it a try!

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Sound's like an interesting game. I am a fan of fallout and really liked No Man's Sky idea which wasn't really implemented right. Maybe will give it a try!

based on that... I don't think there's any way you wouldn't like it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm finding it hard not to justify picking this up at $1 for a month on Gamepass...and it's $5/month after that?

...but I also wanted to give it some time for bugs to clear out, but I also have seen that it is remarkably bug free, including general performance?

...but I've also seen that companions have these ridiculous animations during combat that just happen, and the camera cuts to it every single time, and you can't turn them off. That would make me rage by the 2nd time that it happens. Is that true? That's my current excuse for not picking it up...except that I'm still satisfied grinding characters through Borderlands, and I don't have much more time beyond that, so whatever.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Actually i would say the game is definitely worth 1 dollar on gamepass.
Chances are you will probably not replay it like fallout, or mass effect.

I am also interested in getting a gamepass it being only 60 dollars per year.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
but I've also seen that companions have these ridiculous animations during combat that just happen, and the camera cuts to it every single time, and you can't turn them off. That would make me rage by the 2nd time that it happens. Is that true?
They're active abilities, YOU have to activate them, if you don't activate them, they don't happen.

They CAN be pretty jarring in animation, but i've only run into a handful of times where it's got the camera looking into a rock, or something stupid like that.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I personally like the lighter itemization. I felt like half my play time in BL3 was sorting through what gun I needed to use. I wish that jumping worked a little better. You get hung up on things that feel like you should be able climb up/over.

I'm not a big fan of how stats work in conversations- its just a gate. If you have it, you can do it 100%. Makes conversations a bit 1-dimensional. If you have an option enabled you should choose it. No risk of failing and having a negative modifier instead.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
im playing it right now, i've just left the first map.
it's .. ok. for 2019.

im playing on Hard and there is barely enough ammo to kill a portion of the enemies - at least for now.

the game obviously suffers from Borderlands Syndrome - guns that are great now will be garbage in an hour. That is why i'm stashing mods (and lockpicks, and computer hack thingies).
I also took a detour in a higher level area and got some sweet OP drops. Nothing amazing but allows me to whiz through the early levels.
Ofc this is possible because the game has a RPG background but FPS mechanics which - as proven by Skyrim and Fallout - do not work together. And this is just like Fallout, except, a little bit better in everything. Movement and shooting of both player and mobs is better, gear has more influence on combat, weapons are *actually* different, the speech trees are .. a bit on the goody side, and frankly not at all different from F, and while you CAN kill anyone, sometimes it doesnt do anything.
Mob AI leaves a bit to be desired, and stealth is OP - mobs are blind and deaf.

I gotta say, it reminds me a lot of Deus Ex.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
There's ammo everywhere if you just look around... I actually have so much of it that I started stockpiling back on the ship. Hacking requires a certain level and supplies, which is okay I guess, but I sort of like having a little mini-game because I guess it makes it feel like more of an accomplishment, idk.

I have an overpowered semi-automatic scout rifle that basically one-shot kills human NPC's, so I may be looking at bumping up the difficulty on my next go around. The game was harder at the very beginning for some reason; now I'm just bulldozing through everything.

Quests, in general, I find are not as intricate and more open-ended than in other ARPGs

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
the game obviously suffers from Borderlands Syndrome - guns that are great now will be garbage in an hour.
I just ignore guns i find and upgrade the guns i've had since basically the start of the game.

Tinkering lets you upgrade the weapon level (up to 5 levels above your own), which increases it's base damage. Then just throw in upgrades where applicable.

There are only a few weapons in the game, once you find one you like, just tinker to keep it's level similar to your own. No need to keep hunting around for the SAME gun you already have, but with a higher base level. Just a waste of time in most situations compared to just tinkering it up to your level.

With rank 80 science your tinkering costs are capped as well, so it doesn't become a complete money sink.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I just ignore guns i find and upgrade the guns i've had since basically the start of the game.

Tinkering lets you upgrade the weapon level (up to 5 levels above your own), which increases it's base damage. Then just throw in upgrades where applicable.

There are only a few weapons in the game, once you find one you like, just tinker to keep it's level similar to your own. No need to keep hunting around for the SAME gun you already have, but with a higher base level. Just a waste of time in most situations compared to just tinkering it up to your level.

With rank 80 science your tinkering costs are capped as well, so it doesn't become a complete money sink.
yep;
i got atm Assault rifle (heavy), Light Machine Gun (light), and Flamethrower (energy) and they seem to work really well at ammo management. Gonna have to see what the money situation is later on, as there is no mob respawn in the game.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Sounds like the kind of game that's worth dropping $5 on in three years after it's patched solid and bundled with DLCs as part of a promo sale for the sequel.

Sounds like my kind of game...

Reactions: SMOGZINN

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I'm playing this right now. Overall I think they did a good job on it though it feels a bit consoley. My problem with the game is it's just way way too easy. I'm playing on hard and I destroy everything in a couple of shots. I went to change the difficulty to the top supernova level but you can't do that after you start the game. I stopped putting points into weapon skills and don't mod my guns to make it a bit harder but that doesn't even help. I'm not sure how they play tested this game in house. If this game was re-balanced correctly I think it would be a lot better.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
I'm playing this right now. Overall I think they did a good job on it though it feels a bit consoley. My problem with the game is it's just way way too easy. I'm playing on hard and I destroy everything in a couple of shots. I went to change the difficulty to the top supernova level but you can't do that after you start the game. I stopped putting points into weapon skills and don't mod my guns to make it a bit harder but that doesn't even help. I'm not sure how they play tested this game in house. If this game was re-balanced correctly I think it would be a lot better.

Sigh, why do modern gamers expect everything to be super easy. They killed mmos now single player rpgs.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Sigh, why do modern gamers expect everything to be super easy. They killed mmos now single player rpgs.

A couple theories:
It's a kind of "Eternal September" effect in action. As something becomes more popular (videogame) more Fairweather types flock to the culture, diluting the very thing they wanted to be a part of.

"Most gamers" are all sorts of people who would never have been gamers back in the 90's or earlier if they had the chance.

Or

The sheer amount of entertainment choice means that people today have a lot of options. Back when, it was a bit of a chore and a lot of money to buy a game. Today it can be extremely cheap and there are options coming out of the wazoo. Make a game too hard (from soft games not with standing) and people will easily drop it and go somewhere else. With so much riding on DLCs and monetization, driving people away from the core game can spell financial ruin for a Dev or franchise.