The Official Steam 2021 Winter Sale Thread

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
The Steam Winter Sale has begun! It lasts from Dec 22-Jan5.

Post any great deals, purchases, or hidden gems.

Some games I'm looking to purchase this year are Hollow Knight, Frostpunk and the Yakuza bundle.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Theres a few things I might like to try, but they require Origin or Uplay and frankly Im trying to simplify my life.

OH HEY GUYS!
SATISFACTORY IS THIRTY PERCENT OFF!!!

Its an amazing game and especially interesting to people who love problem solving and constructing giant bases. And the world is pretty big and fun to explore.
No matter how far you get from your factory, it always works, never pauses.

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!
Kerbal Space Program is 75 god damn percent off!!!!!!!!

Dude, seriously, this is probably the best video game ever. If you havent played it, you need to!!!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OH MY GOD! GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! GUYS!

Craft the World is 75 percent off!

GUYS! GUYS! GUYS!
Listen.

Its actually lots of fun. You mine out a mountain and make little rooms and explore and fight monsters and eventually collect enough portal pieces to make the portal and move on to the next level. B
BUT! Theres a catch!
You dont do any work. Your boys do.
You give orders to the boys and let them do all the work. Its great.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OH MY GOD YOU GUYS!!

Car Mechanic Simulator 2015 is only one dollar and NINETY NINE FREAKIN CENTS!

Thats the best one, by far. It has all the best gameplay elements and none of the nonsense in other games. If you dont like Car Mechanic Simulator 2015 then you won't like any of them. Save your money. Also some of the DLC just isnt great. Look at the average review before buying any of them.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I can't tell if Shorty is being sarcastic or not.

A lot of my wishlist is $10 or less at this point, making some very tempting propositions on there.

Banner Saga 2 & 3 are $5 a pop and if they're anything like the first they're completely worth it
Quake Remastered is $4. Played all the other quakes except that one. Now's my chance!
Shadow Tactics: Blades of Shogun is some turn based goodness and $5.
Titanfall 2 is $5, and given the following that game has received it is definitely a buy for me.
Antichamber looks like an interesting puzzle game, also $5
Homeworld: Desserts of Kharak - been a while since I've played a modern RTS game. For $5 i'll give it a shot.
Middle Earth: Shadow of War is $8, loved the first game, hard to say no to a price like that
Prototype 2 is still $10 somehow. If the devs had any sense this would be $5 and an instant buy for me. Will mull it over.
Dusk is $10. Always interested in the old school run and gun FPS format.
Battletech is $10. Always looking to scratch that turn-based strategy itch.
Superliminal and Gears Tactics sort of rounds out my under $10 group.

I have quite a few things to pick from. The under $5 will be a surefire buy, its not getting meaningfully cheaper than that.

A little on the fence about a number of titles $10 and above.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i have so many games to play, i can only get 1 or 2 from any given sale, and then i have to play it right away (or in this case, once I beat Horizon Zero Dawn) current interests:

MW5 Mercenaries
Vagrus - The River Realms
The Ascent
The Last Spell
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Dark Souls 3 is 75% off so I'm very tempted to grab that now.
A lot of the Dragon Age games are $5 or less and since I only played about an hour of the first game, I'll probably grab them just to try them out sometime.

Looking at my wishlist, a fair chunk of games are under $10 so I'll likely grab a few.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Dark Souls 3 is 75% off so I'm very tempted to grab that now.
A lot of the Dragon Age games are $5 or less and since I only played about an hour of the first game, I'll probably grab them just to try them out sometime.

Looking at my wishlist, a fair chunk of games are under $10 so I'll likely grab a few.

- Dragon Age Origins and Awakening (the expansion) are gold, played through those a half dozen times each.

- 2 is a flawed gem: its a kinda depressing game just because it does so much right in terms of character, story, breaking from the bioware mold but at the same time has some really deep critical flaws that hold it back.

- Inquisition is easily the worst out of the three. It suffers from all the modern boring tropes that infest modern Bioware. Boring protagonist, largely boring cast of support characters, boring bad guy, no narrative struggle as main character is basically handed a silver spoon, gameplay is slow and boring, real time war table mission timers (WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING?!). Its badly watered down from a pretty tight 20-30 hour experience to a 60-70 hour one and the game suffers badly for it.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
- Dragon Age Origins and Awakening (the expansion) are gold, played through those a half dozen times each.

- 2 is a flawed gem: its a kinda depressing game just because it does so much right in terms of character, story, breaking from the bioware mold but at the same time has some really deep critical flaws that hold it back.

- Inquisition is easily the worst out of the three. It suffers from all the modern boring tropes that infest modern Bioware. Boring protagonist, largely boring cast of support characters, boring bad guy, no narrative struggle as main character is basically handed a silver spoon, gameplay is slow and boring, real time war table mission timers (WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING?!). Its badly watered down from a pretty tight 20-30 hour experience to a 60-70 hour one and the game suffers badly for it.
Yea, I played Inquisition to completion once, with a system that would barely run it at minimum. I have a much better system now, and thought I would play it through again with better graphics and improved performance. I quit about an hour in, just couldn't get interested. DA2 was roundly criticized, and while it was not great, I though it was not as bad as some made it out to be. Origins is great.

BTW, a lot of the games mentioned in this thread are on Microsoft Game Pass (XBox game pass used to be called). It cost 9.99 a month, but is a good deal if you want to try a lot of different games. You can try it for a buck I think for the first month.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
This week I picked up Battlefield 2042 for $30 after $10 coupon at Epic and I also picked up Dying Light: Platinum Edition for $8.40 at Eneba. You may want to check around for better prices before you pull the trigger on Steam. Humble Choice this month includes ManEater, Mordhau, Beyond the Wire and 9 other games all for $12.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004

I played all three games for the first time last year. I really liked DA2, maybe the best of the series for me. It's much smaller in scope than the other games but has the best characters, both the player and companions. The friendship/rivalry system is a refreshing change from most of these games that incentivize you to be a yes man. DAI has some great parts but lots of tedious filler in between. I agree that the game is 3x as long as it should be. There are mods to fix some of the really annoying things like that mission timer.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Even though it is not on sale I am thinking about picking up either Royalty or Theology for Rimworld.
Which one is better?
I wrote up a short review on the Royalty DLC and it honestly didn't add much, but they just added a new patch that changed the weights to events and I believe that was one of my main complaints. As for Theology, it's basically the same in that it doesn't add a whole lot to the game, but it does change the mechanics so that you can have a religion or cult or even multiple religions.

Sadly, for the price point, they aren't really worth it because mods can do a lot of what they do as well. I'd say if you enjoy the micro-management and didn't think the base game had enough, grab the DLCs. If you're choosing one over the other, I'd go with Royalty.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
The only disappointing aspect of Black Mesa is they couldn't use the original soundtrack. Otherwise its a proper remake.

Reactions: GrumpyMan

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Hmm, I haven't noticed that but what was the original soundtrack?

Composed by Kelly Bailey. All the games up until up until Ep2 had him as the sole composer, he even created the original Valve logo theme. Left Valve about a decade ago.

@17:38. Hard to recreate that when It just fits so well.

Reactions: Fenixgoon and Igo69

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I saw that Cyberpunk 2077 is half price.

I think that I'm going to pass, though, because I have an 8 year old that likes to shadow me while I'm gaming. That game appears to be the polar opposite of "family friendly".

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

I think that I'm going to pass, though, because I have an 8 year old that likes to shadow me while I'm gaming. That game appears to be the polar opposite of "family friendly".
true, but they are honest about it.

Feb 4, 2009

I’ll get hate, while 8 is a tad young look at 7 days to die. Basically a better looking mine craft with better zombies. Public or private servers or simply join another persons game.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
If iam not mistaken they removed all adult content from Cyberpunk but that doesn't mean you have to show it to younger audience and it's still a game for adult.