The Official PS4 Thread

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by ManBearPig, Feb 14, 2013.

1. TallBill

TallBill Lifer

Didn't say that the Wii's audience of last gen is going to be their audience either.... Just because some members here don't like some of the features doesn't mean that one dev at Sony really wanted it and put it in on a whim.

2. badb0y

badb0y Diamond Member

Microsoft and Sony don't make a profit on selling their consoles so it wouldn't matter jack if they sold as much as the Wii and didn't have any software interest to recoup the costs. The Wii worked out because it was cheap to produce and Nintendo actually made money off of the console sale directly.

3. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

You may be right. The Xbox seems to have moved past gaming and now the home screens on the 360 are filled with ads and all kinds of non gaming stuff.

Exactly right, software sales for anything not Mario related was pretty low on the Wii. It didn't matter as much because they sold the wii at a profit and did well in the handheld segment.

#78 cmdrdredd, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  4. Tom

Tom Lifer

But what drove that ? 1080p and easy online gaming. Maybe dual analog controllers.

All things the Wii U has that the Wii didn't.

So when Call of Duty 8 and Madden 2014 come out for the Wii U, the xbox 720, and the PS4, what's going to drive people to the 720,ps4 ?

#79 Tom, Feb 20, 2013
  5. Renob

Renob Diamond Member

What he said....

6. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

Better Multiplayer and graphics?

7. badb0y

badb0y Diamond Member

Well the Xbox 360 has established itself as a "shoot-box" pretty well and they provide the best online experience. I don't expect that to change in the near future. Basically all the people who have the Xbox360 will probably transition over to the next console easily to keep up with their yearly CoD games. Not to mention they have some nice exclusive IPs under their belt like Halo and Forza.

Sony on the other hand has a lot of first party developer studios that make some quality games like God of War, Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Gran Turismo etc. They can live off of the popularity of those series for a bit but they have a lot of talent in their studios that will probably churn out some new IPs too. I find Sony to have the most diverse gaming selection so I think that's going to continue on to the PS4. Playstation is also extremely popular in Europe and other areas compared to Micrsoft/Nintendo.

Nintendo has a good first party base but that's about it. The WiiU sales have fallen flat because it has no good games coming out and Mario #200 isn't enough to entice new customers. Don't get me wrong, their first party games are really good but hardcore gamers will pick up a PS360 or PS4/Xbox720 when given the choice.

Checkout the sales of the WiiU
    http://www.vgchartz.com/
    PS3 and 360, 7 year old consoles, are selling more than the WiiU. They didn't do a good job of appealing to the gamers and they lost the casual market. We also have to remember that the Wii was some revolutionary shit when it came out and the casuals ate it up. The handheld tablet that Nintendo tried to make really doesn't have the same hype as motion controls did. It's still really early in this generation but people seem to be waiting too see what Sony/Micrsoft have before they jump in to the next gen.

EDIT: Also tonight announcement night! 6 PM EST I think they are live streaming it on their website.

#82 badb0y, Feb 20, 2013
  8. Dominato3r

Dominato3r Diamond Member

I still think that the Xbox was Microsofts attempt to get into the living room somehow, and not about gaming. If you listen or read some old interviews of bill gates he seemed pretty big on the idea of changing the way people watch tv

Yeah, I think they stated last summer that non-gaming useage for the 360 exceeded multiplayer usage.

My biggest hope for this generation of consoles is lower load times, It's one of the most annoying things to deal with when going from PC gaming to console gaming. Being able to quickly switch from game to dashboard to netflix etc would be killer.

#83 Dominato3r, Feb 20, 2013
  9. Sureshot324

Sureshot324 Diamond Member

The problem is that is since Nintendo systems are so much less powerful than the competition, anyone who'd interested in playing multi platform games isn't going to want to play them on a Nintendo. Nintendo also doesn't get many good 3rd party exclusives since they don't like open their wallet and pay for exclusivity deals.

10. blurredvision

The graphics should be a lot better on PS4/720, an online system that is considered better by most and is already well established, a more traditional controller, better brand recognition (IMO), and just them being the latest and greatest consoles.

11. Tom

Tom Lifer

Xenoblade 2 and Monster Hunter 3 should sell a few Wii Us.

12. Sureshot324

Sureshot324 Diamond Member

A touchpad is still a much better pointing device than an analog stick. There's a reason all laptops have one and none have that joystick thing between the g and h keys anymore. Having a touchpad on the controller makes the PS4 much more useful as a web surfing machine/multimedia machine. It can be useful for certain games as well. Maybe we'll finally start seeing some decent console RTS games. Just because it's there doesn't mean games have to use it.

13. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

To hardcore gamers yes but those aren't mass market games that will appeal to the average gamer in the US. They're great games but appeal more to the Asian market than the US.

14. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

Also, I don't mind paying to play games online on the PS4 if it gives us a better experience because XBL is definitely better. I just hope they keep stuff like Netflix and other streaming services separate.

15. mmntech

mmntech Lifer

I don't know about this. PSN's biggest strength was always free online out of the box with nice bonuses with PS+. In the end PSN was arguably better than XBL in many ways. If they go paywall, there's not much differentiating the two systems. Especially if the hardware rumours are true.

We'll see how things go tonight but so far I don't think the eighth generation is drumming up as much hype as the last one. There's really nothing new or innovative on the table and there's some big rumoured negatives such as the paywalls and ban on used games. I bought the Vita and it was a flop. I've found myself gravitating back to PC gaming lately. If I can't buy used games, might as well get them for less, plus I can design my own rig, mod my games and online is still free. Sony really needs to carefully think or perhaps rethink their strategy for the Orbis. A lot of the hardcore crowd seem to be very apprehensive about this generation. Despite the growth in casual gaming, both Sony and Microsoft still need serious gamers to get the ball rolling.

16. ManBearPig

ManBearPig Diamond Member

Agree. I really never had any problems with psn so I really hope they don't make it a paid service. I'm pretty sure the next two systems will be pretty much the same damn thing. At least last time we had differences.

17. Hugo Drax

Hugo Drax Diamond Member

Wow Supercell 64 cores running at 1.2 Ghz and 1GB of system ram!!!!!!!!!

18. Drako

Drako Lifer

Just 1 more hour. :p

19. JackBurton

JackBurton Lifer

Does Sony have an app you can use to watch the event live on the PS3?

20. Ashenor

Ashenor Golden Member

I got a email from Twitch to watch it.

I think they will anounce a 399 and 499 system out Oct 22nd.

Bungie will show some Destiny stuff, and Uncharted will be out at launch.

21. American Gunner

American Gunner Platinum Member

The show is on. I can't wait for the info on the PS4.

22. blurredvision

I can't get any stream to work worth a damn.

23. cliftonite

cliftonite Diamond Member

24. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

25. NikolaeVarius

Wow. Its a damn PC. Game devs are going to love it.

8GB of GDDR5 Unified Ram is huge too.