The Official PS4 Thread

Page 300 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Those who own a PS4... Is it worth it right now? I don't care about cross platform titles because I am an avid PC gamer, so if a game is available on both machines, I'll always pick the PC.

So far, the only good exclusives I see is InFamous: Second Son, Lost of US: Remastered, and Killzone. That's pretty much it!

Given all this, is it worth buying a PS4 right now?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Those who own a PS4... Is it worth it right now? I don't care about cross platform titles because I am an avid PC gamer, so if a game is available on both machines, I'll always pick the PC.

So far, the only good exclusives I see is InFamous: Second Son, Lost of US: Remastered, and Killzone. That's pretty much it!

There is Destiny in a month too. If you mostly game on pc and want to play exclusives you would need the console anyway. If you never played last of us you should.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Anyone else having a terrible experience with sonys crappy website? Trying to just sign in to my psn account. Almost 100% sure i had the right password in the first place, but whatever ill just reset it. So i have them send me an email, I type in my birthday, change the password, and then immediately it has me sign in after (not uncommon). The password I JUST made doesnt work and Im right back to where I was.

wtf sony!!!

oh yea I bought a PS4 btw

EDIT: Tried this crap about 5-6 times while getting the same result. Im now locked out. Trying to contact support now.

Nope, logged in the very first time with my password, has been autologging me in ever since.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

does it have games you want to play on it?

if so, then it is worth it. if not, then it's not worth it.

strangers on the internet can't tell you if there are games on the console you like.

and killzone isn't even worth it to me if it's given to you free. it's not worth wasting the time on. it's just a terrible game. wish i never bought it at launch, but thankfully traded it in and got $40 for it when gamestop was running some special.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007

I'd say not yet. There's a lot of stuff coming out this fall but nothing really must have IMO, other than Destiny. But only if you like MMO type games. I think if you pick one up early next year, they'll be more games. Plus you'll be able to score a lot of top notch stuff for less money.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Eh...I like my PC but a lot of times you get the buggier and worse running version on PC.

Sadly it's true. Though hopefully things will change this generation. Seeing as how both consoles use x86-64 hardware and the Xbone runes a modified version of Windows 8. So there's really no excuse for bad ports.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Sadly it's true. Though hopefully things will change this generation. Seeing as how both consoles use x86-64 hardware and the Xbone runes a modified version of Windows 8. So there's really no excuse for bad ports.

Well, it doesn't matter to me. I'm not against playing games on my consoles. In fact I've specifically not purchased games on PC because I wanted it on console before.

Fulle

Aug 18, 2008
I have a good gaming PC, but I'm personally going to buy most of my new multiplatform games on PS4, for the near future.

I just pop in a game, it updates itself, and I can play it. Looks pretty much the same as if I was playing on "high" settings on my PC, with a nice smooth frame rate. I have almost zero problems with things like tearing, or pop-in, or graphical artifacts. Saves are backed up automatically. I can take video recordings of gameplay with a button press, listen to the game's audio via the DS4's 3.5mm jack when I have a need for it (maybe my wireless headset needs a charge), and it's just a generally enjoyable way to game.

The PC can be a hassle sometimes. The platform certainly has advantages in cost, and tweakability (yay mods!), but when I get home from work, the last thing I want to do is fix a computer problem. Sometimes everything works fine, but the likelihood that I'll have to tweak settings and solve some kind of puzzle to get things running correctly, is really high. With my aging PS3, there was at least the payoff that eventually the game would be running at nicer looking graphics with smoother FPS when I was done, but that's not currently the case right now. The gains are going to be pretty small for a while.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Nope, logged in the very first time with my password, has been autologging me in ever since.

Well if you wanna give changing your password a shot, see if itll do the same to you.

I initially forgot my password, so it should be as easy as resetting and then entering the new one in, but what I JUST changed the password to is somehow incorrect. Im trying again tonight to contact support.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Well if you wanna give changing your password a shot, see if itll do the same to you.

I initially forgot my password, so it should be as easy as resetting and then entering the new one in, but what I JUST changed the password to is somehow incorrect. Im trying again tonight to contact support.

I had to do it about 2-3 months ago, sony sent an email saying i needed to change password on my account. I did. Entered it the first time, it worked. Been auto logging in since. Before then it had been the same password for like 3-4 years.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Well, it doesn't matter to me. I'm not against playing games on my consoles. In fact I've specifically not purchased games on PC because I wanted it on console before.

PC's still my primary setup for multi-platform games, unless I know it's going to run like a fat pig. Ubisoft, I'm looking at you. AC Unity will definitely be a PS4 purchase.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

A while back Sony told me to change my password. Did a few steps and it worked automatically. I'm sorry I can't be of any help but that was my experience. It worked the first time and I haven't had to enter it unless I want to buy something from psn.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
PC's still my primary setup for multi-platform games, unless I know it's going to run like a fat pig. Ubisoft, I'm looking at you. AC Unity will definitely be a PS4 purchase.

There's practically no games upcoming that I'm interested in on PC platform anymore- Planetside 2 and Project CARS both coming to PS4 as well as NHL and Madden games.

My i7 had been collecting dust for over a month now.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
There's practically no games upcoming that I'm interested in on PC platform anymore- Planetside 2 and Project CARS both coming to PS4 as well as NHL and Madden games.

I am buying GTA 5 on PC hoping there will be mods. As well as probably MGS phantom pain when it hits PC. If I get shadow of mordor or dragon age 3 I will likely play them on PC too. Other than that I don't think there is anything else I have seen that I would prefer on PC.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
Little big planet 3 can't get here soon enough. I'm looking forward to playing that with the kids.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

I have the exact opposite problem. The cause for me is that I tend to do a lot of things with my computer apart from just gaming, and those things just don't work all that well on a console. For example, I can browse the web on my PS4, but it isn't all that fluid. It's really that desire for multi-tasking that pushes me toward using a computer, and if I'm already at it, I might as well play the game on it. :p

What I think consoles do really well is the local multiplayer experience. You can do it on a PC, but given most PCs operate on smaller monitors, it's not usually a focus for the developers. Speaking of local multiplayer, I really wish LG's Dual Play would have taken off. Personally, I don't like losing screen real estate, so having an effective full-screen view is really nice. I've used it on my LG and Vizio TVs, but neither has it as an official feature. While you can simply set the TV to 3D in top-bottom, there is a bit of bleeding that lets you see a sort of ghosted image of the other player's screen. I wonder if that's just because I lack the dedicated mode. Unfortunately, I think the only game that I know of that supported it was Black Ops II.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007

I'll give you fiddy bucks for it right now! :awe:

I tend to collect a lot of PC games due to the Steam Sales. I probably split my time 50/50 between the two.

PC is better for certain games. I wouldn't get Skyrim on PlayStation for example because the modding community drastically changed that game. It's practically unplayable without mods now.

Console is where I go for my exclusive franchises, which is why I tend to gravitate around Sony and Nintendo. No point in owning an Xbox if you have a gaming PC.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
What I think consoles do really well is the local multiplayer experience. You can do it on a PC, but given most PCs operate on smaller monitors, it's not usually a focus for the developers. Speaking of local multiplayer, I really wish LG's Dual Play would have taken off. Personally, I don't like losing screen real estate, so having an effective full-screen view is really nice. I've used it on my LG and Vizio TVs, but neither has it as an official feature. While you can simply set the TV to 3D in top-bottom, there is a bit of bleeding that lets you see a sort of ghosted image of the other player's screen. I wonder if that's just because I lack the dedicated mode. Unfortunately, I think the only game that I know of that supported it was Black Ops II.

Have you been under a rock for the last 5 years? With the exception of nintendo, consoles have pretty much abandoned local co-op. Fucking ridiculous that you can even play a racing game on the same couch on 360 and ps3. I guess they want everyone to stay home and play online rather than play together on one console in person. IMO indie game devs, and PC has been doing more for local coop than consoles.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Have you been under a rock for the last 5 years? With the exception of nintendo, consoles have pretty much abandoned local co-op. Fucking ridiculous that you can even play a racing game on the same couch on 360 and ps3. I guess they want everyone to stay home and play online rather than play together on one console in person. IMO indie game devs, and PC has been doing more for local coop than consoles.

o_O

As long as a console can connect to more than one controller, they haven't abandoned anything. If you want to start pointing fingers, may I direct your phalanges at the developers instead?

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
o_O

As long as a console can connect to more than one controller, they haven't abandoned anything. If you want to start pointing fingers, may I direct your phalanges at the developers instead?

Both PC and Consoles can connect to more than one controller. This point is null.

Recently, games that were previously local multiplayer are now strictly single player experiences. (AAA titles, racing games, etc). These games are primarily console first games.

Not really sure who to blame for this, but my guess is that having a strong online multiplayer, and not including local multiplayer is probably encouraged.

On the flip side, there are a ton of Games on PC that are starting to support local co-op. Almost to a point where its not THAT much behind consoles - which is crazy! Looking at the direction its going, PC's are adopting more local coop games, and consoles seem to be neglecting it (except for nintendo). PC's and NUC'c and steamboxes in the living room may be a legitimate threat to consoles in the next few years.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Both PC and Consoles can connect to more than one controller. This point is null.

Recently, games that were previously local multiplayer are now strictly single player experiences. (AAA titles, racing games, etc). These games are primarily console first games.

Not really sure who to blame for this, but my guess is that having a strong online multiplayer, and not including local multiplayer is probably encouraged.

On the flip side, there are a ton of Games on PC that are starting to support local co-op. Almost to a point where its not THAT much behind consoles - which is crazy! Looking at the direction its going, PC's are adopting more local coop games, and consoles seem to be neglecting it (except for nintendo). PC's and NUC'c and steamboxes in the living room may be a legitimate threat to consoles in the next few years.
It's the developers always the developers. I mean in Madden 13 the removed the ability to play co-op franchises. Their excuse was like the Ubisoft one for AC:U. Well they went with a new engine and code for the UI and they had to cut features because they weren't porting anything over and some features had to be dropped for time/cost restraints.

The truth is they probably really wanted to go that route in the future because it would force 2 people even in the same house to have 2 copies of the game. They A.) Don't want to deal with split screen rendering and B.) want to sell as many copies as possible. Making you buy a second disc is obviously more profitable and cheaper.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I go back and forth between consoles and PC, but recently I have been strictly console. I think the experience with a $700 video card and sub-par performance with Watch_Dogs has really turned me off. Seems that the console game was nearly as good graphically and had none of the stuttering issues.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
It's the developers always the developers. I mean in Madden 13 the removed the ability to play co-op franchises. Their excuse was like the Ubisoft one for AC:U. Well they went with a new engine and code for the UI and they had to cut features because they weren't porting anything over and some features had to be dropped for time/cost restraints.

The truth is they probably really wanted to go that route in the future because it would force 2 people even in the same house to have 2 copies of the game. They A.) Don't want to deal with split screen rendering and B.) want to sell as many copies as possible. Making you buy a second disc is obviously more profitable and cheaper.
Yea its crazy how kids growing up these days wont get the experience of playing with your friends in the same room. Online is cool, but nothing can touch local multiplayer.

I think because PC is trying to get in the living room, youre gonna see more and more coop games on PC. (at least I hope so)

I go back and forth between consoles and PC, but recently I have been strictly console. I think the experience with a $700 video card and sub-par performance with Watch_Dogs has really turned me off. Seems that the console game was nearly as good graphically and had none of the stuttering issues.
Yea because they purposely made the PC version of watch dogs shit so people would buy consoles. Looks like they got you. Cant blame the PC, blame scumbag devs/game companies. There is so much choice out there, if a company is gonna treat its customers like that then screw them. I try to vote with my dollar as much as I can, with very few exceptions. Watch Dogs looked kinda cool, but Ill never buy another Ubi game again. Same goes for EA with the exception of NHL.

I bought a PS4 because Sony seems a little more consumer friendly than MS, but if it werent for NHL I'd probably pass on this gen.