The Official PS4 Thread

Page 200 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Cool. I'll give that a shot and see how it works. Thanks for the conversation, never would have thought of this otherwise, because I am dumb. :D

By the way I know before I said I don't care about the blue light and I still don't when I am gaming, but watching a movie in the dark and having to hide the controller because it is beaming this stupid blue light all over the room is ridiculous. Not sure what they were thinking with that.

KT

exactly. i play in my theater room so the lights are out all the time, and the light is annoying.
the only time it's been useful for me is when i was entering my psn+ code because i needed light lol.

i do think that the light is always on though because they intended on making every console come with the camera packed in initially, and they flip flopped on that at some point for some reason.

i also have the same gripe with the bright ass white light on the x1 controller lol, because i can see it in my peripheral while playing most of the time.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
exactly. i play in my theater room so the lights are out all the time, and the light is annoying.
the only time it's been useful for me is when i was entering my psn+ code because i needed light lol.

i do think that the light is always on though because they intended on making every console come with the camera packed in initially, and they flip flopped on that at some point for some reason.

i also have the same gripe with the bright ass white light on the x1 controller lol, because i can see it in my peripheral while playing most of the time.

Yeah totally; so dumb. That thing about The Eye does make sense though. Hopefully at some point they figure out a way to change it without having to turn the whole controller off.

KT

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Well I think they were suppose to sell the camera with the system but wanted to lower the price against Microsoft. So I think that is why they took it out.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
Rivals is damn fun. The fact that it is always a multiplayer game is just awesome. Something I really enjoy and didn't know I wanted. Just all of a sudden, a racer blows by me and it is a real person. FUN AS HELL chasing them down with some AI cops and crashing them head on.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
Weird...lots of people have slow WiFi over on the Sony support forums but they shut down my idea of the Ethernet powerline adapters.

So, for me:

Netflix: Fast
Multiplayer: Fast
Downloading and updates from Sony: SLOW AS HELL

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
So, for me:

Netflix: Fast
Multiplayer: Fast
Downloading and updates from Sony: SLOW AS HELL

Yeah same here until I got those powerline adapters. After that a 4gb file took like 20 min or less. I was testing out downloading warframe.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
We do have a wireless router supplied by our provider, but the way the place is wired it all goes into this one box in the closet which has the router in it. It activates certain ports in the house and also gives off the wireless signal. I guess technically I could take the wired connection from one of the ports and flow it through another router (I do have an old wireless N router laying around) so it could split the internet to both the console and the PC?

KT

Don't use another router, what you really want is a switch, for example this one. You could use a router, but you've got to be careful which connections you use and to do things like disable the DHCP server or you'll mess up your network. The switch is much simpler since there's nothing to configure and no risk of conflict with your existing router.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Don't use another router, what you really want is a switch, just for example this one. You *could* use a router, but you've got to be careful which connections you use and to do things like disable the DHCP server or you'll mess up your network. The switch is much simpler since there's nothing to configure and no risk of conflict with your existing router.

Oh cool. $45 and Prime eligible on .ca! I;ve never used one of these before. So it looks like I just plug in a source ethernet cord feed from the wall into port 5, then plug the PS4 and PC ethernet cords into two of the other 4 ports? Then it just does its thing automatically?

KT

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Oh cool. $45 and Prime eligible on .ca! I;ve never used one of these before. So it looks like I just plug in a source ethernet cord feed from the wall into port 5, then plug the PS4 and PC ethernet cords into two of the other 4 ports? Then it just does its thing automatically?

KT

Yup, but it doesn't even matter which ports you use, it will work regardless. Looking around amazon.ca, you may want to get this D-Link DGS-10005G instead, it's only $35 CDN.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Ah nice. I think I will get the second one you linked. That one is Prime eligible so no shipping costs. Plus it looks nicer than the third one, not that I'll be looking at all that often, but still.

Thanks so much for all of the help! :)

KT

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
Finally bought a game for my ps4 I got on release. Assassins Creed. It rules! Holy crap, i never gave this franchise a try before this, but this one's really good. Love the naval combat. Love sneaking up on people and there's like 10 different ways to stealth kill them or you can just whack em all with your swords.

Might go for N4S next!

robvp

Aug 7, 2013
Finally bought a game for my ps4 I got on release. Assassins Creed. It rules! Holy crap, i never gave this franchise a try before this, but this one's really good. Love the naval combat. Love sneaking up on people and there's like 10 different ways to stealth kill them or you can just whack em all with your swords.

Might go for N4S next!

i got AC4 and it's my first AC title as well, a bit frustrated with the controls but i like it overall, there is great disparity with the graphics on this game though, the enviroments look amazing but the character models are crap, the faces and their animations are kinda awful

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
i got AC4 and it's my first AC title as well, a bit frustrated with the controls but i like it overall, there is great disparity with the graphics on this game though, the enviroments look amazing but the character models are crap, the faces and their animations are kinda awful

No, Awful is NBA Live as shown in this comparison shot. AC4 character models look better than NBA Live IMO

video-nba-2k14-vs-nba-live-14-on-the-playstation-4-realtalkny-brought-to-you-by-nigel-d.jpg

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So you would need a dual band router to take advantage of the 5.0 adapter. I will eventually get the netgear nighthawk. Going to wait for a sale.

Sort of. What you normally want to get is a simultaneous dual-band router. A dual-band router just means that it can service 2.4GHz or 5GHz, but that doesn't mean that it can handle both at once. So, if all your devices are on the same band, that's fine; however, if you have mixed devices (2.4GHz and 5GHz), you have to choose one or the other.

I guess technically I could take the wired connection from one of the ports and flow it through another router (I do have an old wireless N router laying around) so it could split the internet to both the console and the PC?

Just use a cheap gigabit switch. I've seen them on sale for $15 from Newegg and it would probably be less hassle than having to turn off features in the router to avoid multiple DHCP servers, etc.

So it looks like I just plug in a source ethernet cord feed from the wall into port 5, then plug the PS4 and PC ethernet cords into two of the other 4 ports? Then it just does its thing automatically?

I always plug the cable going to another network device (switch, etc.) into the last port, but you don't have to. That's actually just an old habit from the days of network hubs where the last port was designated for uploads as hubs are more like dumb packet duplicators (i.e. everyone gets all the data) where switches use IP tables to know which ports should get which data.

Assassins Creed. It rules! Holy crap, i never gave this franchise a try before this, but this one's really good.
+
i got AC4 and it's my first AC title as well

If either of you want to delve into previous entries, I'd highly recommend Assassin's Creed II. It's considered by most to be the best out of the whole series. Keep in mind that it was only released on the PC, 360 and PS3.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
Rivals is damn fun. The fact that it is always a multiplayer game is just awesome. Something I really enjoy and didn't know I wanted. Just all of a sudden, a racer blows by me and it is a real person. FUN AS HELL chasing them down with some AI cops and crashing them head on.

nice. can't wait for mine to come in tomorrow. i only really enjoyed two racing games: Burnout Revenge on the 360 and NFS Hot Pursuit on PS3. i hope this plays like either of them.

robvp

Aug 7, 2013
Sort of. What you normally want to get is a simultaneous dual-band router. A dual-band router just means that it can service 2.4GHz or 5GHz, but that doesn't mean that it can handle both at once. So, if all your devices are on the same band, that's fine; however, if you have mixed devices (2.4GHz and 5GHz), you have to choose one or the other.

Just use a cheap gigabit switch. I've seen them on sale for $15 from Newegg and it would probably be less hassle than having to turn off features in the router to avoid multiple DHCP servers, etc.

I always plug the cable going to another network device (switch, etc.) into the last port, but you don't have to. That's actually just an old habit from the days of network hubs where the last port was designated for uploads as hubs are more like dumb packet duplicators (i.e. everyone gets all the data) where switches use IP tables to know which ports should get which data.

+

If either of you want to delve into previous entries, I'd highly recommend Assassin's Creed II. It's considered by most to be the best out of the whole series. Keep in mind that it was only released on the PC, 360 and PS3.

i think i might have bought AC2 in a sale, will have to check my amazon and steam libraries lol

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
i think i might have bought AC2 in a sale, will have to check my amazon and steam libraries lol

You're lucky. Those of us that fell for the trap that was AC1, are still jaded with the series. I haven't played a single one after the first due to how bad it was. Plus, their whole "here is a hot girl that works on games" marketing was pretty maddening to me.

I won't buy another AC, I don't care what people say about it. The entire premise and story was completely stupid.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
You're lucky. Those of us that fell for the trap that was AC1, are still jaded with the series. I haven't played a single one after the first due to how bad it was. Plus, their whole "here is a hot girl that works on games" marketing was pretty maddening to me.

I won't buy another AC, I don't care what people say about it. The entire premise and story was completely stupid.

my sentiments exactly. AC1 was the one game i anticipated for months and it sucked. i hated reading about that hot chick. she ruined everything for me. i will never touch an AC game....even if it gets a perfect 10. damn near broke my heart, Ubisoft.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

I still played the first Assassin's Creed game even though I started after Revelations had already come out. Yeah, it wasn't that good, and I don't know of anyone that will tell you differently, but I think it's pretty obvious why -- the game is a giant tech demo. I guess it doesn't bother me much, because I'm just really used to it by now. Games that feature rather new aspects in realism tend to suffer in other departments. I mean... Altaïr can't even swim for Pete's sake! You know how mad I got in the last city (Jerusalem, I think?) when I was trying to hop out to the light house on those peg-things and Altaïr kept jumping the wrong way and dying in the kiddy pool? :|

EDIT:

I have a feeling that the whole glorified tech demo problem is one of the reasons why Watch Dogs ended up delayed. Watch Dogs probably took a lot of the movement mechanics from Assassin's Creed, but the whole interconnected world stuff probably wasn't too simple.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I still played the first Assassin's Creed game even though I started after Revelations had already come out. Yeah, it wasn't that good, and I don't know of anyone that will tell you differently, but I think it's pretty obvious why -- the game is a giant tech demo. I guess it doesn't bother me much, because I'm just really used to it by now. Games that feature rather new aspects in realism tend to suffer in other departments. I mean... Altaïr can't even swim for Pete's sake! You know how mad I got in the last city (Jerusalem, I think?) when I was trying to hop out to the light house on those peg-things and Altaïr kept jumping the wrong way and dying in the kiddy pool? :|

EDIT:

I have a feeling that the whole glorified tech demo problem is one of the reasons why Watch Dogs ended up delayed. Watch Dogs probably took a lot of the movement mechanics from Assassin's Creed, but the whole interconnected world stuff probably wasn't too simple.

AC1 wasn't that bad, it just got old really quick. I think I've played 3 of the AC games, and only finished 1. I only really like exploring the cities and doing the towers. One of them had sections just to find a treasure, which was cool. The main game missions just suck.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
AC1 wasn't that bad, it just got old really quick. I think I've played 3 of the AC games, and only finished 1. I only really like exploring the cities and doing the towers. One of them had sections just to find a treasure, which was cool. The main game missions just suck.

It wasn't just the game itself. The story was awful and the hype surrounding it was like that of Molyneux. I remember the "hot girl who worked on the game" talking about everyone you killed in AC was a real person who died during that time period and added something like "we aren't saying they all were assassinated, but who knows". She is literally Molyneux incarnate, with boobs.

And then, they added that garbage VR shit. Nope, done with AC.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
For the record, I like Assassin's Creed 1, though I admit the side missions were very repetitive. I have no idea what "hot girl" you guys are talking about. I don't pay attention to marketing hype.