THE OFFICIAL "JEZZBALL" Thread Anyone remember this addicting game? EDIT: Its Just BORING now.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TechnoPro

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Epoman
Originally posted by: TechnoPro
The memories... I searched my hard drive and luckily I still have a copy. I'm up to almost 600,000 right now. My all time high score was just shy of 2 million.

Ant tips you can share with me I can't get past level 15, There are a total of 49 levels. Well 49 is the max number of balls but the levels can go higher BUT the number of balls stop at 49. I know how to stop the ball but still any tricks or tips you can share?

Back in the day, I used to rely upon timing and anticipating the trajectory of the balls. This strategy will ultimately fail when too many balls are on screen.

Here's my secret. I build tunnels, starting in the lower right. It's a given that one end will be compromised so my sole focus becomes getting that one end to stick. At lower levels, this is boring (and potentialy dangerous) as it can take forever for the balls to enter the tunnel to be captured.

The logic is that each tunnel must trap at least 2 balls for me clear the level. Also, by adding an obstruction, you leseen the ball density in the area directly above the first tunnel, which is where I build a second. And so on... I keep building tunnels as needed, when I reach higher levels.

By trapping balls inside these tunnels, you can then clear the hishest percentage of the board which will yield the highest score. Actually, clearing the highest percentage plus having many balls left will net some serious points.

I will also extend tunnels out further when warranted. Occasionally, however, this will backfire as the line will go all the way and seal up more playing field, increasing ball density without having trapped anything.

It gets tricky when there are so many balls that it becomes hard to even build one tunnel that will trap more than 2 balls. But, as the number of balls increase, the likelihood of balls trapping themselves increases greatly. I'm sure you've seen it before when 2 balls will enter a tunnel at just the right time and wedge themselves together? This means that at higher levels, one simply needs to make mini-tunnels and wait. It does not become as easy as shooting fish in a barrell...

Then as, the ball count drops, you can extend the tunnels and resume normal trapping strategy.

What causes me to lose is 3 factors:

[1] Hand fatigue

[2] Eye strain

[3] Involuntary clicking. This is the real killer as the other 2 can be fixed by taking a break. Let's say I attempt to build a tunnel and both ends get hit. meaning I lose 1 life without having secured my structure. My bad habit is to immediately try again, maybe twice. This habit chews through lives and can get me screwed in no time.

So that's my pitch. Enjoy.

Epoman

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2003
The memories... I searched my hard drive and luckily I still have a copy. I'm up to almost 600,000 right now. My all time high score was just shy of 2 million.

Ant tips you can share with me I can't get past level 15, There are a total of 49 levels. Well 49 is the max number of balls but the levels can go higher BUT the number of balls stop at 49. I know how to stop the ball but still any tricks or tips you can share?

Back in the day, I used to rely upon timing and anticipating the trajectory of the balls. This strategy will ultimately fail when too many balls are on screen.

Here's my secret. I build tunnels, starting in the lower right. It's a given that one end will be compromised so my sole focus becomes getting that one end to stick. At lower levels, this is boring (and potentialy dangerous) as it can take forever for the balls to enter the tunnel to be captured.

The logic is that each tunnel must trap at least 2 balls for me clear the level. Also, by adding an obstruction, you leseen the ball density in the area directly above the first tunnel, which is where I build a second. And so on... I keep building tunnels as needed, when I reach higher levels.

By trapping balls inside these tunnels, you can then clear the hishest percentage of the board which will yield the highest score. Actually, clearing the highest percentage plus having many balls left will net some serious points.

I will also extend tunnels out further when warranted. Occasionally, however, this will backfire as the line will go all the way and seal up more playing field, increasing ball density without having trapped anything.

It gets tricky when there are so many balls that it becomes hard to even build one tunnel that will trap more than 2 balls. But, as the number of balls increase, the likelihood of balls trapping themselves increases greatly. I'm sure you've seen it before when 2 balls will enter a tunnel at just the right time and wedge themselves together? This means that at higher levels, one simply needs to make mini-tunnels and wait. It does not become as easy as shooting fish in a barrell...

Then as, the ball count drops, you can extend the tunnels and resume normal trapping strategy.

What causes me to lose is 3 factors:

[1] Hand fatigue

[2] Eye strain

[3] Involuntary clicking. This is the real killer as the other 2 can be fixed by taking a break. Let's say I attempt to build a tunnel and both ends get hit. meaning I lose 1 life without having secured my structure. My bad habit is to immediately try again, maybe twice. This habit chews through lives and can get me screwed in no time.

So that's my pitch. Enjoy.

Wow thanks for that reply it helped me and I'm sure it will help several other people. I do the tunnel too but I can't get higher than 200,000+ points. I will keep trying. I LOVE this games so addicting.

what's your score by the way?

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
I was putzing around in the MS entertainment pack dir and I found the readme a bit amusing:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT MICROSOFT ENTERTAINMENT PACK

SETUP

To run setup, start Windows as you normally do. Insert the
disk Disk 1 - Setup into drive A. Choose Run from the File
Menu in the Program Manager. In the Command Line box, type
A:SETUP and press the ENTER key.

Setup can take a while to run on some machines. Do not be
alarmed if it seems like nothing is happening for several
moments. Running from a floppy disk and decompressing files
can take a while. This would be a good time to get a cup of
coffee (instant is fine, it isn't THAT slow), as after
installation, you may be at your computer for a while.

SOUND

Many of the games support advanced sound playing capabilities.
To take advantage of these capabilities you must have a sound
card and Windows 3.1, or Windows 3.0 with multimedia extensions.
If you encounter problems playing the sounds, contact your sound
card manufacturer, and check that your sound card drivers are
installed properly. Please note that if you do not have a sound
card, and are using a PC Speaker Driver, you may have to turn
the sound off for the games to be playable.

BEGINNING TO PLAY

Open the Best of Entertainment Pack group in the Program Manager
and double-click on the icon of the game you wish to play.

LEARNING TO PLAY

The rules for each game are provided in the on-line help.
Within each game, press the F1 key or select Index from the Help
menu. It is recommended you read through all the help information
before playing. Browse through the help with the buttons at the
top of the screen.

NOTES ON INDIVIDUAL GAMES

SkiFree:

SkiFree is best played with the numeric keypad, but you can also
control the skier with the mouse. Make sure to experiment with
all the keys in the numeric keypad to learn to jump and perform
other tricks. As befits its simplicity, there is no online Help
for this game.

REMEMBER, GAMES DON'T KILL PRODUCTIVITY, PEOPLE DO.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
I used to have that and all the other entertainment pack on a floppy. Think it was from an old 3.1 box of mine. Worked fine on windows 95 but haven't tried it on 2000 or XP yet.

Epoman

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2003
UPDATE:

I just had the GAME of my life Before my high score was just over 200,000+ points but I just got 948,106 LEVEL 27

Proof

See first post for more info, and more PICS :D

TechnoPro

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2003
UPDATE:

I just had the GAME of my life Before my high score was just over 200,000+ points but I just got 948,106 LEVEL 27

Proof

The heat is on!

Great job, btw.

Epoman

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2003
UPDATE:

Proof

The heat is on!

Great job, btw.

Man I was soooo close to a cool Million points. I got jumpy and I clicked when I didn't mean too and that cost me the game.

This game is so great even though its a little 80kb zip file.

TechnoPro

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2003
UPDATE:

Proof

The heat is on!

Great job, btw.

Man I was soooo close to a cool Million points. I got jumpy and I clicked when I didn't mean too and that cost me the game.

Try harder...

When you beat my score, please let me know and I will play again, until then, this game is going back into the archives!

Epoman

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2003
UPDATE:

Proof

The heat is on!

Great job, btw.

Try harder...

When you beat my score, please let me know and I will play again, until then, this game is going back into the archives!

Oh it's ON. :|
:D

Stojakapimp

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2002
Originally posted by: So
Originally posted by: Stojakapimp
Hate to bump an old thread, but you've got a ways to go to beat my high score:

High Score

One word...

How?

MS paint. :D

nope...once you get to level 49 it just repeats itself. So once you learn how to beat level 49, it's just a matter of time. This is unofficial, but I think i'm ranked number 13 in the world with that score

Epoman

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2003
Originally posted by: So
Hate to bump an old thread, but you've got a ways to go to beat my high score:

High Score

One word...

How?

MS paint. :D

nope...once you get to level 49 it just repeats itself. So once you learn how to beat level 49, it's just a matter of time. This is unofficial, but I think i'm ranked number 13 in the world with that score

ALL TIME TOP SCORES

Why not submit the photo to the webmaster to be official?

Wow I can't believe that 274,298,388 is the #1 top Score.

But I'm still proud of my high score :)

Any other fellow ATOT'ers have such a awesome score?

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004
Who DOESN'T know about jizz ball? There were definately better games, I remember the first time I played those type of games, back in the early 95 days. Anybody remember chips challenege?

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Speaking of old MS games, how do you get past the monster in Ski Free? I never could figure that one out. :)