The official iPad thread

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
I wouldn't take anyone seriously that says websites look bad on the iPad 3. Whether or not it takes 100% full advantage of every pixel is a different story, but it's splitting the difference between really good and incredible.

Keep in mind all the ones complaining are the super nerds that nitpick every pixel. I am really digging surfing the web on the iPad. I have been feeling a bit guilty for not using my desktop much since I got the iPad. I've also found myself reading a lot more than I used to. Something very nice about vegging out on the couch and surf the web with the Flipboard app.

As for the lightbleed, I notice it a bit when there's a black screen on my iPad, but whenever there's actual content, I can't even tell, so unless you're a tech writer that writes reviews, who the fuck cares.

Personally, I've never been an Apple fanboy, always thought they were overpriced pieces of fashion statements, but I am really digging the new iPad.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Keep in mind all the ones complaining are the super nerds that nitpick every pixel.
Bingo.... well, super nerds is kind of harsh. Say "End User", like me and runawayprionser. :D Most others are just average Joe moms and pops.

I have been feeling a bit guilty for not using my desktop much since I got the iPad.
I hardly use my main HTPC with large screen anymore because I spend most time on my Macbook Pro.

I've also found myself reading a lot more than I used to.
We have books for that. Go grab a book and read.

Something very nice about vegging out on the couch and surf the web with the Flipboard app.
If I do that I go to sleep.

Ok, this is really last time posting. I'm gone bye

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Keep in mind all the ones complaining are the super nerds that nitpick every pixel. I am really digging surfing the web on the iPad. I have been feeling a bit guilty for not using my desktop much since I got the iPad. I've also found myself reading a lot more than I used to. Something very nice about vegging out on the couch and surf the web with the Flipboard app.

As for the lightbleed, I notice it a bit when there's a black screen on my iPad, but whenever there's actual content, I can't even tell, so unless you're a tech writer that writes reviews, who the fuck cares.

Personally, I've never been an Apple fanboy, always thought they were overpriced pieces of fashion statements, but I am really digging the new iPad.

I also use my desktop way, way less nowadays. Honestly, more than half the time it's just to use iTunes to sync/manage iDevices. I think more than anything it's the full 1GB of ram in the iPad 3 that makes browsing with multiple tabs much more feasible.

My computing needs are very low. Pretty much all communication is handled by my smartphone, from email to forum posts like this. iPad is great for content consumption, mostly news, mags and books. Occasionally game on both, although consoles do the heavy lifting there. My HTPC is getting replaced by a boxee box or apple TV soon. My home server is becoming increasingly useless without any PCs to back up, and all the media can be effortlessly cloud streamed and/or backed up.

Never thought I'd say this...but if I didn't have a "real" PC in the house....I probably wouldn't miss it all too much.

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
If they're not using those tools then they're behind the curve or they use some other method(s) to offer legacy support. No developer in their right mind would create a website that only works on the newest browser. And no, I'm not saying all websites are made the same way, I'm saying that all websites are created to offer the best support for the browsers with the largest marketshare.

CSS has been around for years and a good amount of webpages are drawn that way, so I would say most of the web supports retina rather than not. There's a lot more CSS than fixed images to a web site layout.

Uh... actually, many developers do create websites that only work right on the newest browsers.

In fact, newer browsers are the problem themselves. Chrome had this initially:

http://www.chromium.org/Home/chromecompatfaq

But you are right in that all websites are created to offer the best support for the browsers with the largest marketshare. That doesn't mean "all browsers".

You want an example of a website that doesn't render right with Mobile Safari on iPad? Try... Apple's Developer Community (ironic?), or Head-Fi forums (now this you can access).

And while there are a lot of websites that use CSS, there are also a lot of websites that don't use "just CSS". For instance, this site. Try looking at those "Post Reply" buttons on the new iPad 3 in landscape.

Odd, when I tried out the iPad 3 I didn't notice websites looking bad at all...

Are there comparison shots?

Go to Engadget and The Verge, then rotate the device to landscape mode and then tell me you don't see pixels in images.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
Uh... actually, many developers do create websites that only work right on the newest browsers.

...and then the site degrades gracefully. I'm not sure if you know what I mean by that.

And while there are a lot of websites that use CSS, there are also a lot of websites that don't use "just CSS". For instance, this site. Try looking at those "Post Reply" buttons on the new iPad 3 in landscape.

Never said sites use "just" css. CSS can be used for tiling of graphics, but there's nothing you can do with a fixed image other than use a bigger image. Anandtech and its forums looks good on the iPad3 because its mostly CSS. The post reply buttons are fixed images so they're not going to scale. IMO, this is pretty minor as I'm not going to care about the buttons if the majority of the site is retina.

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
It's just this site though, some sites that are image-heavy, like, say, The Verge, for instance, look especially bad because it has more graphics elements than texts on the front page.

By "looking bad", I mean it looks almost indistinguishable from an iPad 2. Sounds weird, right?

But again, I'm NOT the only one that thinks so:
http://www.tuaw.com/2012/03/30/macworld-says-the-new-ipads-screen-is-underrated/

Many people I have asked (coworkers, friends, etc...) think the same way. As far as graphics are concerned on websites and even on the "Retina-updated" magazines, the iPad 3 displays about the same thing the iPad 2 does, save for that the texts are sharper. But even that is offset by the fact that Apple changed font-rendering on the iPad 3 and made texts look thinner than they were originally.

Or perhaps it was always that way and the iPad 2 just didn't have enough pixels to display thinner texts, but for whatever it's worth, again, the screen on the new iPad is very underrated, and to the average Joe, you're not going to be able to convince them it looks amazing when 99% of the contents save for texts look indistinguishable from the iPad 2.

And in fact, try looking at the "Post Reply" button on the iPad 2. It actually looks sharper.

Edit:

Here's another article that echoes my thoughts... word by word:
http://www.justatheory.com/computers/apps/conde-nast-ipad.html

Last edited:

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Or perhaps it was always that way and the iPad 2 just didn't have enough pixels to display thinner texts, but for whatever it's worth, again, the screen on the new iPad is very underrated, and to the average Joe, you're not going to be able to convince them it looks amazing when 99% of the contents save for texts look indistinguishable from the iPad 2.
Yep, bingo. iPad 2 doesn't have enough resolutions to display those fonts thin without looking pixelated.

And in fact, try looking at the "Post Reply" button on the iPad 2. It actually looks sharper.
Yep, the native size graphics always lead to sharper cleaner images. iPad 2 would be good candidate as it doesn't need to try to upscale. Upscale results to bluriness. I hate that.

i like runawayprisoner. He makes some really good posts and is very technical and very specific and detailed. This is exactly what we need.

There's an old saying "Being new and having higher number of pixel counts doesn't mean it's automatically better in everything".

Oops sorry I'm gone now.. I know I yack too much. :$

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
I love how he can't accept technology as it is. He rather have nothing while wanting more.

All while we have our iPads and enjoying it without our $100 usb cables :D

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
I love how he can't accept technology as it is. He rather have nothing while wanting more.

All while we have our iPads and enjoying it without our $100 usb cables :D
Young man, the USB cables matter as it reduces jitter due to the noise inherent in electrical circuits. Do you want to go on on this? :) You are going off topic again.

And $100 USB cable is cheap. They go up to about a grand, for a short one.

You know what, since you are asking for it, I'm gonna stay here and keep posting. :)

Sent mine back today. :( Keeping my moms though. Can anyone suggest a case?
Are you going through Applecare service? Are you send sending back for a replacement? Or refund?

You've been pretty quiet lately. :)

Last edited:

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Everyone needs to calm down. :l
You can't put to full use of 4 times the number of pixels on the display. This means the CPU and on-die graphics will have to work that much harder to keep up. With today's internet technology and available applications you can't put to full use. 2048 x 1536 is too much for an electronic pad today.

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Are you going through Applecare service? Are you send sending back for a replacement? Or refund?

You've been pretty quiet lately. :)

Refund, didn't feel like continually exchanging and decided I didn't really need one. I've lost interest in it tbh, that's why I've been quiet.

Why spend $1000 on a USB cable?

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Refund, didn't feel like continually exchanging and decided I didn't really need one. I've lost interest in it tbh, that's why I've been quiet.
Smart choice! :) It's not worth keep seeing same sales reps at Apple store like 10 times only to get a slightly less defective screen.... or worse screen. You see, this is why I didn't even start it in the first place after I learned the hard lesson with iPad 2.

Why spend $1000 on a USB cable?
For best sound quality. But of course I wouldn't go that far, as I am not that rich like some people out there. If I have $1000 in my pocket I would save some more and get me a $2000 subwoofer. :)

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
someone ban this troll, I'm sick of this bs.

Old Today, 10:20 AM
Remove user from ignore list
cheez
This message is hidden because cheez is on your ignore list.
View Post Old Today, 10:25 AM
cheez

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Old Today, 10:20 AM
cheez
View Post Old Today, 10:25 AM
cheez

I don't know why I haven't done this sooner...

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007CKLCSK

Been using this case for a few days. Really great stuff. They thought of EVERYTHING. It stands up in three ways, it can be made to stay open or closed, magnetic lock works, its got a carrying loop so you can literally carry it around with a single finger, the usefulness of the hand strap cannot be overstated, it's thick enough that you feel like you can casually toss it around without fear, feels soft and leathery, and looks great. And it's under $20, and does not look cheap in the slightest way.

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
AirVideo is a godsend to me, as it allows me to stream all my videos, converts them on the fly (even my *.mts and *.m2ts files), over wifi. Very convenient and time saving. Easy access to my entire library.

Now if I can find an app like AirVideo that allows me access to all my pictures on my computer similarly.

With apps like that 16GB is really all I need.