The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Oh man, I've never heard of Rax. That looks awesome (except for Exterous' semen deposit, of course)

they were everywhere when i was a kid

the local one had a huge salad bar, and it was nice enough that we would go eat there for semi-special occasions

i'd always get a king rax + salad bar

but i'd dish out way more vanilla + chocolate pudding than actual salad

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
they were everywhere when i was a kid

the local one had a huge salad bar, and it was nice enough that we would go eat there for semi-special occasions

i'd always get a king rax + salad bar

but i'd dish out way more vanilla + chocolate pudding than actual salad

A salad bar? How do you eat from a thing like that when you know Ex is around?

see above^

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011
Holy shit. RAX is still around?

Yep, they still wear 80s style hats too.

Oh man, I've never heard of Rax. That looks awesome (except for Exterous' semen deposit, of course)

Gotta dip rax in Mayo, just kidding it’s horseradish.

OverallI IMO Rax is still better than Arby’s.

Also they have a sandwich no joke called the BBC (big bacon and cheddar), and I think it’s hilarious.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The kimchi at Costco is pretty good. Completely all natural ingredients. With some rice and an over easy egg, great snack

442151dfe8d5d777a425ee7e902523c1.jpg

Reactions: nisryus

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Stay away from the Grande Stacker at Taco Bell. Both times I've tried it - yuck.

It's just a tortilla shell spread with what tastes like a mix of left over taco meat, a bit of cheese, and a glob of slimy refried beans. And it's so salty to boot.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
The kimchi at Costco is pretty good. Completely all natural ingredients. With some rice and an over easy egg, great snack

442151dfe8d5d777a425ee7e902523c1.jpg
That looks to be different brand than the kimchi that's sold at Costco in Atlanta. I bought the different brand here to test it out and it was terrible. Maybe that brand is better but people should not buy the brand that's being sold at Costco locations in Atlanta.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
That looks to be different brand than the kimchi that's sold at Costco in Atlanta. I bought the different brand here to test it out and it was terrible. Maybe that brand is better but people should not buy the brand that's being sold at Costco locations in Atlanta.
This is what we got in Jersey. It's just vegetables, fish sauce, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and water

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
That is the brand we have at the Cedar park Costco. Its pretty good. Better than those from Houston or Dallas.

But the Austin Costco sells a different brand. o_O

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
That is the brand we have at the Cedar park Costco. Its pretty good. Better than those from Houston or Dallas.

But the Austin Costco sells a different brand. o_O
I've been sauteeing ground beef in sesame oil with garlic, onions, ginger, soy sauce and red pepper flakes, mixing it with rice, some runny eggs and the kimchi for an amazing meal

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
New McDonald's bakery items:

1. Blueberry muffin
2. Apple fritter
3. Cinnamon bun

Blueberry muffin: I'm really picky about blueberry muffins because I love them. This one tasted like a grocery-store-bakery muffin. It was OK. Not bad but wouldn't go out of my way to get it again.

Apple fritter: To me, fritters are fried; this is fried, but not like fresh-fried, it's more like like a soft donut. Sort of like a dense Krispy Kreme. It wasn't bad, just kind of uninspiring.

Cinnamon roll: This was the surprising one - it was actually pretty good! A tad on the overly-sweet side, even though it doesn't very thick icing. It's not like the best in the world, but I'd get it again! It's completely different than BK's cinni-minis. This is like an actual cinnamon roll. Not like the soft pillowy ones either, but more like the heel of a bread loaf kind, where you can unwind it to eat it. Not bad, McDonalds, not bad.

1605036645561.png

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Taco Bell Dragonfruit Freeze:

1. Definitely one of their better flavors
2. Fairly unique flavor. Sort of like a real strawberry vs. a Starburst strawberry tho. Not actual dragonfruit haha.
3. Very sweet. Probably wouldn't buy again because it's so sugary.
4. As with all of their frozen drinks, however they do the ice gives me a monster brain freeze lol. Doesn't happen with McDonalds frozen drinks or Slurpees. Dunno if the ice is finer or what.

1605038199713.png

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Taco Bell toasted cheddar chalupa:

Great idea, meh execution. Looks really good in-person but it's just kinda mediocre.

1605038177268.png

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The one good thing to come out of 2020 is that the McRib is coming back December 2nd. I suspect I'll do my usual routine of buy it, eat it, regret it, and then forget about it until they come out with it again hahaha

View attachment 33540
FUCK YEAH
I mean, I already knew about it because I periodically check for McRib news, that first one is always so great.
By the end of December I'll probably just be eating them because I know the availability window is closing.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I mean, I already knew about it because I periodically check for McRib news, that first one is always so great.
By the end of December I'll probably just be eating them because I know the availability window is closing.

Someone on the Anova Precision Oven group cloned the McRib using sous-vide...gonna have to try it & see how it goes. Serious Eats did a homemade one awhile back:

Although I may try it in my Oster smoker-roaster with pellets. If it's good, I can just smoke a bunch & vac-seal them for the freezer. Although this is one of those weird things where it's fun to enjoy it when it's available, and the rest of the time, whatever haha.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Although this is one of those weird things where it's fun to enjoy it when it's available, and the rest of the time, whatever haha.
YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!

I lived in Germany in the early/mid-90s so I got used to it being available year round.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Gawd, I tried a McRib about 5 years back to see what the fuss was about. It was revolting, one of the absolute worst things I've ever had from a fast food restaurant.

• Love
Reactions: TeeJay1952

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Clearly you've never been to a White Castle.
That is correct. Coming from a Michigan family, I used to hear about it all the time. We'd only go back to visit every 8 years or so and every time we went my parents thought about getting White Castle and then decided not to.