The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Page 56 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Is it just me or is the thought of a veggie replacement sausage on a breakfast sandwich with egg a bit weird.

Yeah...that's why they're pushing "plant-based" as a buzzword instead of "vegan", which is more politically-correct & less offensive to meat-eaters, I guess. That, and most people associate vegan with healthier whole foods, whereas plant-based stuff sounds healthier, but is really an amalgamation of various ingredients that aren't necessary "better for you" than the regular product. Hence, a veggie patty on top of, well, meat (egg).

Despite that, I'm still a fan of progress in the food world - I like trying new things, I like seeing people come up with alternative solutions, and I like that we're starting to think about our planet's caretaking a little bit more, even if it is for the sake of trendy profits.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
White chocolate Snickers bar

I couldn't even get through half of it lol

Feb 4, 2009
Is it just me or is the thought of a veggie replacement sausage on a breakfast sandwich with egg a bit weird.

If you are talking the dunkin doughnuts Gardein patty try it out it’s pretty good. Sort of dry like most of the veggie proteins but seasoned right and doesn’t hit your stomach like a brick.

If it’s the lack of meat but still having egg vegans are different than vegetarians.
Fast food places aren’t targeting vegans or vegetarians, they are targeting people who know they should eat less meat and fat guys who have been told to eat less processed meat.

Yeah I know forum name...

Feb 4, 2009

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
So I went to Shake Shack the other day & got the sous-vide chicken sandwich...man it's gone downhill :( The portion size was small & nothing about it was good. Sorry Shake Shack...Popeye's owns the market now! 2x as thick chicken & way better.

I just wish Popeye's had Shake Shack's buttermilk herbed mayo on it. Then it'd be perfect!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I tried yogurt-covered Skittles:

1. The Skittles were all ROCK HARD. Hard to chew for the first little bit.

2. Surprisingly, the yogurt coating works with the flavors. I'd go as to far as to say I like these better than just eating regular Skittles.

3. This would be a really solid candy if the Skittles weren't so dang hard

skittles.png

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
yogurt skittles sounds...not great. Thinking about this I just learned that I am ok with trying new terrible for you fast food ideas but not new terrible for you candy

If you've ever had a yogurt-covered raisin, it's kind of the same idea...yogurt-wrapped & fruit-flavored. Just more chewy, because it's a Skittle, and sweeter. If you've ever had yogurt-covered Craisins, it's more like that.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Yogurt raisins are vile.

Yogurt Skittles seems like an idea that's worse than replacing the lime flavor with green apple, and that idea made me stop buying Skittles.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
So I went to Shake Shack the other day & got the sous-vide chicken sandwich...man it's gone downhill :( The portion size was small & nothing about it was good. Sorry Shake Shack...Popeye's owns the market now! 2x as thick chicken & way better.

I just wish Popeye's had Shake Shack's buttermilk herbed mayo on it. Then it'd be perfect!
Hm, I stopped there twice in December in Minneapolis and it was just as good as the first time I tried it in Denver the previous year.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Dave's Strawberry Citrus Soda at Wendy's was lame. Great idea, but you could tell it was chemically-driven for flavors, which made the flavor muted. Note that it didn't taste chemically. Meh.

I also tried their Cod sandwich. I made it 2 bites in & quit. There was hardly any fish in it (more crust than fish, I should have taken a picture) & the fry job was over-done (not burnt to black but too brown & dry). Very unpleasant to eat. Another meh.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I tried Chick-fil-a's Diet Lemonade. I've never heard of diet lemonade. It was made with Splenda. For diet, it was actually really good! No hardcore funky aftertaste like Stevia has. They did a great job with it.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I tried Chick-fil-a's Diet Lemonade. I've never heard of diet lemonade. It was made with Splenda. For diet, it was actually really good! No hardcore funky aftertaste like Stevia has. They did a great job with it.
They've had that for ages, and yeah, it's pretty good.

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Flock Chicken Chips:

* Chips made from chicken skin
* 3 flavors: Original, BBQ, Salt & Vinegar
* Keto-friendly, low-carb, gluten-free

This is an interesting concept. There's a restaurant near one of my clients that does a chicken meal with extra chicken skin on the side done up like crispy chips and it's ah-may-zing. These chips sounded promising, so I ordered all 3 flavors. While they're not terrible, they're not what I had hoped for:

* They are really expensive. $24 for an 8-pack makes them $3 for a personal-sized bag. Free shipping if you buy 3 packs. I got one of each flavor, so $72 out the door for 24 bags. I justified the price because they are so high in protein (13 grams per bag)
* They smell barny as soon as you open them. Gamey. If you've ever done sausage in a natural casing, kind of like that. Not quite farm-poopy smelling but it's got that funk. It's not horribly strong or anything, but it is noticeable.
* With all of the crazy extra-crunchy cheetos & double-crunch Ruffle chips, these weren't in a league of their own crunch-wise. A nice crunch, but a bit soft at the same time.
* None of them had any salt flavor. Not even the salt & vinegar. I thought about sprinkling them with salt to improve the somewhat bland flavor, but I don't think it would have stuck to them.
* They were all pretty bland, even the BBQ flavor. Like, you're just eating crunch. Crunch that smells kinda barny.

Terrible? No. Great? Promising, but nah. I like the concept, the execution was...underwhelming. I'll keep packing them in my lunch until I run out because they are high in protein and they were expensive, but I won't be buying anymore. Meh.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I also tried their Cod sandwich. I made it 2 bites in & quit. There was hardly any fish in it (more crust than fish, I should have taken a picture) & the fry job was over-done (not burnt to black but too brown & dry). Very unpleasant to eat. Another meh.
I tried A&W's cod burger and it's quite tasty.

Of course, this is in Canada. ;)

How I wish there was a halibut burger.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I wish fish & chips were more generally available. The fish shop right up the road has good homemade fish & chips, but not many places do; homemade or otherwise :^(

Reactions: Iron Woode

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Muddy Bites:

Simple concept: you know when you eat a frozen ice cream cone & they have that bit of chocolate that acts as drip glue for the bottom so they don't leak? Someone had the bright idea to chop that piece off & sell it as a dry snack! Originally started as a Kickstater:

There's a bit of a wait as they're ramping up & they're a pretty popular item, but I finally got my bag in. Taste is pretty good, and other the price ($5 a bag, yowza! iirc the price is supposed to come down once they get things automated), I only have 2 complaints:

1. The chocolate was too hard - you really have to bite into it to get the chew going
2. The cone-to-chocolate ratio was off. Needed more cone, and needed more crispy/light cone material.

I'd give it like a 7/10. I really like the concept; if the chocolate was softer & if there were more crunch, they'd be perfect. Price is kinda bonkers, but iirc it's all made by hand now so it's kind of labor-intensive at the moment. I would consider ordering these again if they got cheaper & better.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Chick-fil-a Fish Sandwich & Fish filets:

I was kinda shocked to see fish at Chick-fil-a! I tried both the sandwich & the filets/dippers/tenders/whatever they're called. The sandwich is literally just 2 fish tenders on a bun. It was kind of hard to hold because it wasn't a solid patty. The tartar sauce was...well, if you've ever had McDonald's Filet 'o Fish, which is actually pretty decent for a fast-food fish burger, Chick-fil-a's offering was somewhat disappointing.

With that said, the filets were much better & I'd recommend getting those instead. Unfortunately, the sauce is just okay. McDonalds has a really decent sauce on theirs, which makes it pretty good. So the fish tender thingies are the one to get. However, while good, they're...uninspiring. It's just a decent fried fish, nothing to write home about. Just very vanilla. If you want freshly-fried fish, they're decent. I don't think I'd order them again, not out of hate, just out of meh.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Flock Chicken Chips:

* Chips made from chicken skin
* 3 flavors: Original, BBQ, Salt & Vinegar
* Keto-friendly, low-carb, gluten-free

This is an interesting concept. There's a restaurant near one of my clients that does a chicken meal with extra chicken skin on the side done up like crispy chips and it's ah-may-zing. These chips sounded promising, so I ordered all 3 flavors. While they're not terrible, they're not what I had hoped for:

* They are really expensive. $24 for an 8-pack makes them $3 for a personal-sized bag. Free shipping if you buy 3 packs. I got one of each flavor, so $72 out the door for 24 bags. I justified the price because they are so high in protein (13 grams per bag)
* They smell barny as soon as you open them. Gamey. If you've ever done sausage in a natural casing, kind of like that. Not quite farm-poopy smelling but it's got that funk. It's not horribly strong or anything, but it is noticeable.
* With all of the crazy extra-crunchy cheetos & double-crunch Ruffle chips, these weren't in a league of their own crunch-wise. A nice crunch, but a bit soft at the same time.
* None of them had any salt flavor. Not even the salt & vinegar. I thought about sprinkling them with salt to improve the somewhat bland flavor, but I don't think it would have stuck to them.
* They were all pretty bland, even the BBQ flavor. Like, you're just eating crunch. Crunch that smells kinda barny.

Terrible? No. Great? Promising, but nah. I like the concept, the execution was...underwhelming. I'll keep packing them in my lunch until I run out because they are high in protein and they were expensive, but I won't be buying anymore. Meh.
Kinda like the chicken equivalent of pork rinds?