The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Page 55 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
They came out in February:

But my local Shack only just got them. The Washington Post said they have the texture of marshmallows:

They're sous-vided first & then deep-fried, so they're crazy-soft on the inside & super-crispy on the outside. Probably one of my favorite nuggets ever made. I thought they were fun to eat, because they go down so easy. Only catch is the sauce offerings are crap. Their BBQ sauce is probably the best one. The honey mustard is one of the worst I've ever had. They need to take a lesson from Chik-fil-a's playbook on sauces.

Overall tho, I'll definitely be stopping by again to get them!
i might try this process at home.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Huh, that doesn't sound appealing to me.

I thought they were great...super tender, melt-in-your mouth softness with a super-crispy exterior. Not only will I be buying them again, I'll also be trying the recipe out at home! I have their cookbook, which I bought specifically for their amazing sous-video crispy chicken sandwich with herbed buttermilk sauce, and will be adapting that recipe for nuggets!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I had the impossible whopper yesterday for the first time. I have to say I was shocked at how much like a normal burger it tasted like. Had someone just handed that to me and said it was a normal whopper, I would have never known the difference. I was completely skeptical about it too but I was wrong.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I thought they were great...super tender, melt-in-your mouth softness with a super-crispy exterior. Not only will I be buying them again, I'll also be trying the recipe out at home! I have their cookbook, which I bought specifically for their amazing sous-video crispy chicken sandwich with herbed buttermilk sauce, and will be adapting that recipe for nuggets!
I'll be near one in a few weeks, and I may try them out of curiosity, but not sure if them having the wrong texture will be a deal-breaker.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I'll be near one in a few weeks, and I may try them out of curiosity, but not sure if them having the wrong texture will be a deal-breaker.

Calling it "marshmallow texture" pre-sets your brain for a marshmallow texture. If you can, shift your focus to "tender" and "melt-in-your-mouth" instead. If you're looking for a chewy nugget, go to BK!

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Calling it "marshmallow texture" pre-sets your brain for a marshmallow texture. If you can, shift your focus to "tender" and "melt-in-your-mouth" instead. If you're looking for a chewy nugget, go to BK!
CFA has the only nuggets I'll specifically order.
I did recently try BK's spicy crispy chicken sandwich, and was pleasantly surprised at the level of spiciness.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
CFA has the only nuggets I'll specifically order.
I did recently try BK's spicy crispy chicken sandwich, and was pleasantly surprised at the level of spiciness.

Yeah, BK did a good job on their spicy nuggets.

CFA's are good, but imo the Shack's are a level above them. They just go down sooooo easy lol.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
For some reason, white American cheese seems better than yellow. Why are they different colors, dye?

To keep it especially on topic for this thread, Jack in the Box has a White Cheddar burger promotion.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
For some reason, white American cheese seems better than yellow. Why are they different colors, dye?

To keep it especially on topic for this thread, Jack in the Box has a White Cheddar burger promotion.

Yes, it's just dye. It's the exact same product outside of the color. Good article on it here:

It's all marketing, haha!

Minerva

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
I had the impossible whopper yesterday for the first time. I have to say I was shocked at how much like a normal burger it tasted like. Had someone just handed that to me and said it was a normal whopper, I would have never known the difference. I was completely skeptical about it too but I was wrong.

Impossible! :p

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
taco bell has added sodium warnings to its menu on the app:
980e1ca77b1f8f0c650c29e319e9e162.jpg

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
So I don't really like Bugles at all, but I tried Nacho Bugles and they are off the HOOK!

These were like Fritos for me...I don't like regular Fritos, but Chili Cheese Fritos (coupled with a bowl of chili, of course) are ridiculous.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
So I don't really like Bugles at all, but I tried Nacho Bugles and they are off the HOOK!

These were like Fritos for me...I don't like regular Fritos, but Chili Cheese Fritos (coupled with a bowl of chili, of course) are ridiculous.

LOL, I got some Nacho Bugles for a road trip last year solely because they were out of the regular flavor, and they were okay. I got regular Bugles for my latest road trip and confirmed I like them more than the nacho variety.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Been hooked on Bada Bean snacks lately:

It's basically crispy fava beans (no Chianti, sorry). High protein (6 to 7 grams per 1oz bag, depending on the flavor you get) & are kind of like an airy, crunchy version of a peanut. Available in 13 bunch of flavors:
  1. Buffalo wing
  2. Cocoa dusted
  3. Everything bagel
  4. Garlic & onion
  5. Jalapeno popper
  6. Mesquite BBQ
  7. Nacho Cheeze
  8. Sea salt
  9. Spicy wasabi
  10. Sweet cinnamon
  11. Sween onion & mustard
  12. Sweet Sriracha
  13. Zesty ranch
I've tried the sea salt & cocoa dusted, both of which were pretty decent! Makes a nice little snack. Also good on salads & as chili/soup toppings! I tried to get into roasted chickpeas for awhile (both snack packages & homemade), but they never quite did the trick for me. These fava bean versions are pretty decent so far! They currently have a "Boom Box" variety pack available online:

1. Four packs of every flavor (13 flavors x 4 packs = 52 packages total)
2. 15% off with code BOOM15 (coupon code through the 25th of January)
3. Free shipping

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Been hooked on Bada Bean snacks lately:

It's basically crispy fava beans (no Chianti, sorry). High protein (6 to 7 grams per 1oz bag, depending on the flavor you get) & are kind of like an airy, crunchy version of a peanut. Available in 13 bunch of flavors:
  1. Buffalo wing
  2. Cocoa dusted
  3. Everything bagel
  4. Garlic & onion
  5. Jalapeno popper
  6. Mesquite BBQ
  7. Nacho Cheeze
  8. Sea salt
  9. Spicy wasabi
  10. Sweet cinnamon
  11. Sween onion & mustard
  12. Sweet Sriracha
  13. Zesty ranch
I've tried the sea salt & cocoa dusted, both of which were pretty decent! Makes a nice little snack. Also good on salads & as chili/soup toppings! I tried to get into roasted chickpeas for awhile (both snack packages & homemade), but they never quite did the trick for me. These fava bean versions are pretty decent so far! They currently have a "Boom Box" variety pack available online:

1. Four packs of every flavor (13 flavors x 4 packs = 52 packages total)
2. 15% off with code BOOM15 (coupon code through the 25th of January)
3. Free shipping

so a buck a pack. i might order this.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
so a buck a pack. i might order this.

I've found them at a few local places like Marshall's & Ocean State Job Lot, so you may want to try a pack first to see if you like them or not, but yeah, I figured at a buck a pack, I might as well give all of the flavors a shot! Beats the vending machine haha.

Reactions: Linux23

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Tried the Beyond Sausage breakfast sandwich at Dunkin today. Meh. The Impossible Burger is a better...less dry, more flavor.

I'm surprised at the macro count as well:

* 470 calories
* 24g protein
* 39g carbs
* 23g fat

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Tried the Beyond Sausage breakfast sandwich at Dunkin today. Meh. The Impossible Burger is a better...less dry, more flavor.

I'm surprised at the macro count as well:

* 470 calories
* 24g protein
* 39g carbs
* 23g fat
fat is pretty high for a veggie patty though, right?

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
Is it just me or is the thought of a veggie replacement sausage on a breakfast sandwich with egg a bit weird.