The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I hope this qualifies:

For over 50 years I've been a big fan of Hormel Chili without Beans. I always have several cans on hand. Rarely crack one, but am never disappointed when I do. I went through a few cans in the last few weeks, not something I often do. To me it seems like the quality's still there. I've bought many other brands but IMO the Hormel is by far the best. I've also tried many times to make a chili from scratch that compares but have never felt that I came close.

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I hope this qualifies:

For over 50 years I've been a big fan of Hormel Chili without Beans. I always have several cans on hand. Rarely crack one, but am never disappointed when I do. I went through a few cans in the last few weeks, not something I often do. To me it seems like the quality's still there. I've bought many other brands but IMO the Hormel is by far the best. I've also tried many times to make a chili from scratch that compares but have never felt that I came close.

It doesn't - opening a can and heating is cooking - but ya, it's decent isn't it.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
We need places to start selling crispy pork ffs...

IdHApuf.jpg

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Chips Ahoy Thins: These are capitalizing on the new "thin" trend started by Oreo Thins (which are amazing btw). I'm not an overly huge fan of Chips Ahoy, as (1) I generally don't like dry cookies, and (2) I've accumulated various awesome homemade cookie recipes over the years, but I grew up with them & decided to give them a shot. Turns out I like the Thins better than the regular ones! Definitely worth a try if you like Chips Ahoy. OT, I had some vegan cookies recently (applesauce + coconut oil) that tasted just like Chips Ahoy:

http://bakerbynature.com/the-most-wonderful-vegan-chocolate-chip-cookies-ever/

d2b60cc0-42e0-4e31-a363-49869b861d23.JPG.w960.jpg

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Not a fan of Chips Ahoy either (but supermarket bakery cookies are very good) - hard to see liking thin Chips Ahoy much.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Finally tried In-N-Out last night. We loved it, much better than McDonalds and probably a bit cheaper.
And thats the best thing an In-N-Out, it's super cheap for a great burger. Of course we all can get better burgers than In-N-Out but they are much more expensive. In-N-Out is always fresh and always good no matter where or what time you get it and always cheap. Plus you can order anything however you want it.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Where can't you 'order it how you want it'?
I don't know many chain fast food burger places where you can order the fries cooked however you want, the bread as toasted how you want, the meat cooked how you want, onions how you want, you can customize every part of the burger even though none of it is on the menu.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I don't know many chain fast food burger places where you can order the fries cooked however you want, the bread as toasted how you want, the meat cooked how you want, onions how you want, you can customize every part of the burger even though none of it is on the menu.

OK, fair enough. 'I'd like raw fries, a raw patty, and a charred bun'. Hm. Didn't know In n Out offered those options, I thought you meant toppings.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Revisited CfA

Spicy chicken sandwich, waffle fries well done, CfA sauce

The spicy chicken sandwich was....fine. Added CFA sauce into the sandwich itself. I'm sure this was a great product when it was first introduced to the masses a decade ago or w/e, and I will freely admit it is a far higher quality product than other chicken sandwiches of it's class. And the waffle fries well done were pretty good.

Having said that, the Chick'n Shack is a in an different class.

I guess it just depends what you have access to:
On Sundays, > 10pm, or when you have <$3? McDonalds
You have access to Shake Shack? Chick'n Shack
All other times? CfA

Okay so, I finally tried the Chik'n Shack at Shake Shack.

Ho. Lee. Cow. You are ABSOLUTELY right. It IS in a different class. I am no longer interested in Chik-fil-a's chicken sandwiches anymore :D Seriously though, oh my gosh. I almost got off the highway to drive back to get another one lol. They freaking NAILED it! The chicken, the sauce, everything. Seriously a next-level chicken sammich. Oh man. 10/10 would buy again!

Reactions: Ns1

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
This thread is discriminatory. I found out I'm allergic to chicken this summer. :(

Wow that's awful! I've never heard of a chicken allergy...can you do eggs? Is it all parts of a chicken? Do you just get sick, or do you need an Epi-pen?

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Taco Bell: Strawberry Poppin’ Candy Freeze

https://www.tacobell.com/food/drinks-and-sweets/strawberry-poppin-candy-freeze

Basically a Pop Rock slurpee. It was actually pretty good! I don't like any of Taco Bell's other frozen drinks; the last couple I tried left my mouth oddly dry. But this one was not only tasty, but also fun to drink! It had a very weird effect of continuing to crackle & pop even after you swallowed...with regular Pop Rock candy, it burst in your mouth & then went away when you swallowed it, but with Taco Bell's drink, it continues to pop from your stomach...which is weird but awesome lol. I had a lot of fun just taking sips to experience that...it was strange, but in a good way!

The only downside is that the candy stops popping pretty quickly. I was excited to have my wife try it, but it had stopped popping by the time I got home (maybe 10 or 15 minutes later), so it was just an icee by then. So it's a treat best enjoyed right away. Also, it had a different but good flavor in it; I looked up the ingredients and found that it has "yucca mohave extract", which I've never seen in any product before. Information is very scarce on it; all I could find on a quick search is that it acts as both a flavoring & foaming agent in soft drinks. Interesting.

Anyway, if you want a retro throwback to eating poprocks as a kid, it's a fun drink & is worth trying. Pure sugar & chemicals, but fun nonetheless :D

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Taco Bell: Power Menu burrito (with 2X Steak)

https://www.tacobell.com/food/burritos/power-menu-burrito

This is hands-down the best thing I have ever eaten at Taco Bell. I think it's the avocado ranch sauce that makes it sing. Just really really tasty. The regular one is 25g protein; I don't know how much protein the 2X option adds, but if you are in the mood for a meaty burrito & like guac, it's definitely worth the money!

Also, they list cocoa as an ingredient in their steak product. I've had savory chocolate sauce in Mexican dishes before (mole & another one I can't think of off the top of my head) with very good results, so I'm interested to try doing a cocoa-rubbed crust on a steak at some point (there are a few recipes floating around online that look interesting).

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Wow that's awful! I've never heard of a chicken allergy...can you do eggs? Is it all parts of a chicken? Do you just get sick, or do you need an Epi-pen?
It's especially eggs.

Basically my stomach turns, making super sulfury burps. I then get a migraine for 8-24+ hours. I throw up everything I've eaten and then start throwing up bile, passing out from dehydration and pain, waking up only to puke again. The doctor gave me meds to keep me from killing myself when it happens, fortunately I never had to take them.

I didn't figure out that it was eggs and chicken until recently.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
It's especially eggs.

Basically my stomach turns, making super sulfury burps. I then get a migraine for 8-24+ hours. I throw up everything I've eaten and then start throwing up bile, passing out from dehydration and pain, waking up only to puke again. The doctor gave me meds to keep me from killing myself when it happens, fortunately I never had to take them.

I didn't figure out that it was eggs and chicken until recently.

Holy crap! Can you do turkey?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Chicken sucks anyway. I grow to hate it a little more every time I get some. I'd really miss having eggs though. My breakfast this morning was sausage/egg/cheese wrapped in mini naan.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Chicken sucks anyway. I grow to hate it a little more every time I get some. I'd really miss having eggs though. My breakfast this morning was sausage/egg/cheese wrapped in mini naan.
Nothing wrong with good chicken. A good friend who raises them just gave me two. My problem is that the military seems to think that bad chicken is the only meat.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Nothing wrong with good chicken. A good friend who raises them just gave me two. My problem is that the military seems to think that bad chicken is the only meat.
I'd like to try a heritage bird some time, and see if the nastiness has been bred in over time.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I'd like to try a heritage bird some time, and see if the nastiness has been bred in over time.
There is a huge difference between breeds of chicken and raising them truly free range without hormones or antibiotics. Nice yellow fat and juicy.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I'm from Louisiana. Chicken made up a huge percentage of my diet. :p

I really miss buffalo wings. Those were amazing. You never notice just how much chicken there is in everything until you can't eat it. At the cafeteria at work there are only a handful of things I can eat.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004