The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Update: This thread now covers:

1. Fast food
2. Junk food
3. Any interesting packaged foods (like new cereals)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Review your fast food adventures here. We have a lot of scattered threads, figured it was time to consolidate them.

Dunkin Donuts: Frozen Hot Chocolate

I just tried a Frozen Hot Chocolate from Dunkin Donuts. It is surprisingly pretty good! It's not just a chocolate-milk smoothie either, it has the same chocolately flavor in the back of your throat that hot cocoa does. I recommend getting the whipped cream on it for obvious reasons ;)

https://www.dunkindonuts.com/dunkin...ges/frozenbeverages/frozen_hot_chocolate.html

Downside is, a small has 400 calories and a large has a whopping 790 calories, same as a Whopper :D I found a copycat recipe here:

http://dunkindonutsathome.blogspot.com/2013/01/frozen-hot-chocolate.html

Apparently this was a thing before DD got to it; it was one of Oprah's "Favorite Things" from a place called Serendipity 3 in NYC:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=11747036

Recipe here:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...hocolate-serendipitys-best-kept-secret-109560

Smitten Kitchen has a more detailed walkthrough:

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2015/08/frozen-hot-chocolate/

I'll have to try both copycat versions at some point...

Last edited:
Reactions: yhelothar

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Arbys Roast Beef Max rules....

that is all :)

Arby's roast beef sammich + whatever their brown sauce is + their melted cheese = oh man :wub:

It's funny because it's the only time I ever eat roast beef. I don't really care for prime rib, brisket, or roast beef otherwise, but on an Arby's sandwich - they have the right combination of sauces & bun flavor to make it work, and work awesome :thumbsup:

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Arby's roast beef sammich + whatever their brown sauce is + their melted cheese = oh man :wub:

It's funny because it's the only time I ever eat roast beef. I don't really care for prime rib, brisket, or roast beef otherwise, but on an Arby's sandwich - they have the right combination of sauces & bun flavor to make it work, and work awesome :thumbsup:

I prefer the horsey sauce...throw in some potato cakes and wash it down with a Jamocha shake....

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Most of my favorite fast food is local chains, but out of big national chains by far my favorite is Popeyes.

I love their Tuesday special in my area...leg and thigh for $1.50...two orders of those (spicy) and a small side of cajun rice for under $6 is a pretty decent meal.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Most of my favorite fast food is local chains, but out of big national chains by far my favorite is Popeyes.

They just built a Popeyes here, that is dang good fried chicken & sauces! Also their desserts are phenomenally good for a fast-food place...anytime I want a single slice of cheesecake, I just swing in there for their Mardi Gras slice-in-a-box.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Popeye's magic:

1) go to Popeye's on Tuesday, buy 2x $1.49 specials
2) buy red beans and rice
3) break up excess chicken skin from specials onto RbR
4) gorge
5) pass out

Reactions: yhelothar

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Popeye's magic:

4) gorge
5) pass out

That is a win, but I do feel like a trashheap for about 2 days after.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Restricting to pure "fast food" not "fast casual" places...

Wendy's - burgers very good. So are the salads. Costly compared to the competition but the value is there for the quality.
McD's - still the best fries, I don't like anything else there
Chick-Fil-A - their chicken sandwich might be the best fast food sandwich of all of them. Moist and tasty and big. Why do I get two?
Burger King - an old favorite, but I think the burger quality has slipped.
Arby's - like their roast beef but the "regular" is a little too small. Have to go up a size. Curly fries are decent. The deli-style sandwiches are surprisingly good.
Hardee's - like their burgers when fresh but go downhill quick if they have been sitting.
Subway - low quality but a lot of food for the money
Long John Silver's - I would love to be the guy who sells them salt, my commissions would be through the roof. Unbelievably salty food. Good slaw.
KFC - I like their original recipe chicken, not the tenders or the extra crispy. Sometimes when I go in they will have a small sign on the counter offering 4 wings for a $1.50, a sweet deal.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
wow though--sad the number of cultured people that think Popeye's is better than the clearly superior Bojangles. :(

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
my current fast food winner: McDonald's deluxe premium fried chicken on potato bun (test market)

better than chick fil a IMO, not as good as chicken shack from shake shack

23484000562_7317d582ea.jpg

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
my current fast food winner: McDonald's deluxe premium fried chicken on potato bun (test market)

better than chick fil a IMO, not as good as chicken shack from shake shack

23484000562_7317d582ea.jpg

blasphemy! D: It's the homophobia that makes Chik Fil-A so uniquely delicious.

LoL at that McD's--they are trying to be Chipotle

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
LoL at that McD's--they are trying to be Chipotle

all I know is the end result is delicious (for a McD product). add a large drink for a dollar, and a vanilla cone for a dollar = win on so many levels.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Dunkin Donuts: Frozen Hot Chocolate

I tried their Frozen Coffee and it was pure crap. The problem with their frozen stuff is that they use the same ice slurry that they use in their fruit flavored coolata's. What that means is that the texture of the ice with the sweet coffee made it a sweet mess.

I only took a few sips before that mushy ice texture made me throw it away. Yuuuuck.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Popeye's magic:

4) gorge
5) pass out

i get the 4 thighs for $5 and change. Mix and match between mild and regular and i've got a meal (or at least the protein portion of my meal), for two days.

now i feel like some Popeyes for dinner tonight.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
the only bad thing about Popeye's is their absolutely terrible biscuit. if only Church's would open up next to Popeye's, I can go to Popeye's for their chicken but get my biscuits from Church's.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Fortunately for me, there's only 1 chain fast food place within 25 minutes of me. Also, fortunately for me, there are several locations I can go to and be in and out the door in 5 minutes or less with a delicious hot meal. Steak sandwiches made with real steak at the local butcher, with a piece of homemade cheesecake. YUM. Or, today, since it's friday, I had 8 butterflied fried shrimp with cocktail sauce. YUM.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
For national fast food chains I still love Arbys with some form of Roast Beef, French Dip etc and love potato cakes.

I'm still guilty of getting a couple Royal with Cheese and fries at McD's every couple of months.

Just for chicken itself, I still prefer just hitting up a local Dodge Store here over Popeye's, they are actually a pretty large chain.

I try to avoid fast food in general, but usually have it about twice a month at any rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ken g6

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Bojangle's fried chicken:

Better than everything.

review over.

I had to google what a Bojangle's was, nearest one is in Pennsylvania :D

Looks pretty good though, biscuits & fried chicken are always a win!