The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Page 88 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Munchin on Little Ceasers $4.99 lunch special.

4 slices of a Detroit Deep Dish + a 20oz drink. You can say what you want about their regular pizza, but their Detroit's awesome. The price is good too, I was planning to buy a drink from 7-11, I think 20oz sodas are up to like $2.50 after tax and CRV. So I basically got 4 slices of pizza for $2.50

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The "classic" at Little Caesar's is better and cheaper than DiGiornio, but I wouldn't say it's "good". The EMB & stuffed crust are good, so is the Detroit deep dish. Highly variable based on location though.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Eating the new Nacho Cheeseburger from Wendy's.

A quarter pound of fresh, never-frozen beef, American cheese, hot and crispy corn and tortilla strips, spicy chipotle sauce, poblano queso, lettuce, and tomatoes on a jalapeño cheddar bun. This burger takes everything up a nacho.

This needs to become a permanent item, I know it won't though. It's really really good, more on the mild side of spicy. But there is a definite kick, the crunchiness from tortilla strips and crispy corn add a nice textural element. The bun's soft and you can taste the Jalapeno. The queso has a lil' kick and a good flavor. The patty was juicy, and the chipotle sauce was a good addition. The only thing I'd change is I'll order it with Bacon next time. Everything on it works together and there's a ton of flavor happening. I think the crispy corn might have been pieces of chopped up corn nuts. This was a damn delicious burger.

Par for fast food, it's not what I'd consider spicy, maybe 2.5/10. But I'm a low level chili head so it might be closer to 5/10 for others. I finished it 10 minutes ago and there's still a bit of heat lingering in my mouth.

I'll definitely order it again before they pull it from the menu. Half a point off the overall score for the awful "takes everything up a nacho" pun Wendy's put in the description.

Last edited:

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Ate the BBQ Brisket Epic Burrito at Del Taco.

It wasn't very epic IMHO. Brisket was bland, as I'd expect from a fast food Mexican place. Well, except I never thought I'd be eating Brisket from a Mexican place lol. Anywho, the BBQ sauce whatever, the fries in it weren't crunchy at all. And the Sour Cream was just there to be there, I don't really like it, but I couldn't even taste it. And the tortilla's the standard not very good and overly thick American-ized fast food type.

This burrito with legit brisket, good fries and a freshly made tortilla would probably be 9.5/10. This wasn't great, and I didn't expect it to be. But I still ate the entire thing. Brisket must be made in a smoker, I have no idea how they prepare it. But I know it's not on a smoker lol. So this gets the 6/10 I expected I'd rate it before I even took a bite. If I had enough beer in me it would probably get a solid 7/10. For $10 it's a bad deal, I mean it's pretty big, I think about 1k calories, but even with 5 packets of Del Inferno, it wasn't very interesting.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Ate the BBQ Brisket Epic Burrito at Del Taco.

It wasn't very epic IMHO. Brisket was bland, as I'd expect from a fast food Mexican place. Well, except I never thought I'd be eating Brisket from a Mexican place lol. Anywho, the BBQ sauce whatever, the fries in it weren't crunchy at all. And the Sour Cream was just there to be there, I don't really like it, but I couldn't even taste it. And the tortilla's the standard not very good and overly thick American-ized fast food type.

This burrito with legit brisket, good fries and a freshly made tortilla would probably be 9.5/10. This wasn't great, and I didn't expect it to be. But I still ate the entire thing. Brisket must be made in a smoker, I have no idea how they prepare it. But I know it's not on a smoker lol. So this gets the 6/10 I expected I'd rate it before I even took a bite. If I had enough beer in me it would probably get a solid 7/10. For $10 it's a bad deal, I mean it's pretty big, I think about 1k calories, but even with 5 packets of Del Inferno, it wasn't very interesting.
Their website alleges that it's pit-smoked brisket (I don't doubt that the smokiness in the end result was underwhelming though, fast food places rarely seem to be able to deliver on that)
But it sounds to me to be adjacent to a BBQ stuffed baked potato, but wrapped in a tortilla.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Just ordered and am about to go get Arby's, it seems like all I ever see is everyone shitting on Arby's which makes me wonder when the last time they ate there was. I haven't had a bad meal there in a long time. While it's not mind blowing, I think it's a lot better than most fast food. With the current deals, I got 2 French Dips with Swiss, curly fries and a lemonade for $10. Arby's has a solid menu, the French Dips are pretty tasty and the 2/$6 special makes them even better.

I just looked up the nutritional info. 2550mg of salt. So eating 2 of these + curly fries is probably a poor idea. And they don't specify if that 2550 includes the Au Jus which is basically liquid salt.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
You do eat a lot of fast food. If you are in your twenties with that metabolism I miss, you good. Otherwise I'd like to send you a blood pressure machine plus two free cholesterol tests

• Haha
Reactions: nakedfrog

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
@ 40 and basically eating clean, lean, home cooked meals.

Whenever we get fast food (McDonalds, Carl's, Taco Hell, etc) it's basically stomach cramps, night sweats, drinking about a gallon of water and waking up three times a night to pee and then the least satisfying shit of all time the morning after.

I basically eat fast food only after enough time has passed that I forget my visceral reaction to fast food.

I turn to taquerias, in n out, and family Chinese places when I need a quick junk meal fix. No illusions, I know the food isn't healthy, but my body at least recognizes it as food instead of something made in a lab like most fast food.

Reactions: Ken g6

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Just ordered and am about to go get Arby's, it seems like all I ever see is everyone shitting on Arby's which makes me wonder when the last time they ate there was. I haven't had a bad meal there in a long time. While it's not mind blowing, I think it's a lot better than most fast food. With the current deals, I got 2 French Dips with Swiss, curly fries and a lemonade for $10. Arby's has a solid menu, the French Dips are pretty tasty and the 2/$6 special makes them even better.

I just looked up the nutritional info. 2550mg of salt. So eating 2 of these + curly fries is probably a poor idea. And they don't specify if that 2550 includes the Au Jus which is basically liquid salt.
I've generally found it pretty satisfying, I think it's just a meme kinda thing to shit on them. The one nearest me is so poorly-run I've kind of given up going there, I think it was the third time I rolled up and they were out of roast beef that did it for me. That and it essentially being drive-through only now, seems like there's no intent to open the dining room again, and I don't like wasting fuel idling in the drive-through.
That is also at least 1300 calories, a bit high for one meal.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Haven't had Arby's in ages, but I used to love the roast beef and cheddars back in my college years.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
hmmm this sounds....interesting?

i love their ginger beer, it has a good bite to it

a bundaberg potato chip?

ojpc64O.png

don't get me wrong, bundaberg lemonade is still one of the tastiest drinks i have drank before

but pop-flavored chips???

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
a bundaberg potato chip?

ojpc64O.png

don't get me wrong, bundaberg lemonade is still one of the tastiest drinks i have drank before

but pop-flavored chips???
I wouldn't buy a whole bag, but I would definitely try them if the opportunity arose (so maybe if I could get a snack bag, I'd buy that), just because I'm curious. Chocolate-covered potato chips turn out to be pretty tasty.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Tried the new Pretzel Bun Baconator from Wendys. The Baconator's one of the best fast food burgers, it's even better on the Pretzel bun, they should make this a permanent item.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Nongshim Tonkotsu ramena and Shin Black at Costco. Good ramens. Could use a tad bit of boost from various things like some toasted sesame oil, some MSG/Salt, to realize full potential. Can always the add an egg or some veggie like mushroom or scallions to further increase satisfaction. Sometimes I add a small bit of Better than Bouillion Organic Chicken or Beef base to fully form the base flavor.

Snapdragon Miso Ramen at Costo is terrible. Snapdragon Pho at Costco is doable, but absolutely needs a bit of boost from MSG/Salt to realize its flavor potential.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Tried the new Pretzel Bun Baconator from Wendys. The Baconator's one of the best fast food burgers, it's even better on the Pretzel bun, they should make this a permanent item.
I've had various limited-time pretzel bun burgers from fast food places in the past, it was usually a good option, and I've opted to use pretzel buns for home-made burgers on occasion too.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
CosMc's coming to you?

"Some fast food fans online have compared the newly released menu to that of coffee chain Dutch Bros, as it places a heavy emphasis on fanciful drinks.

The menu features teas and lemonades, coffees, slushies, frappes and signature fruit energy-style drinks called "Galactic Boosts." Some highlights include a Turmeric Spiced Latte, S'mores Cold Brew, Churro Frappe and Sour Cherry Energy Burst."

edit: Hope those energy drinks aren't as caffeinated as the Panera's that just killed a guy.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Burger King brought back Cheesy Tots, I'm assuming they're the same as the last 4 times they brought them back. I think BK sucks, but Cheesy Tots were good and something I thought should have been a menu item not a LTO.

Reactions: nakedfrog

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Burger King brought back Cheesy Tots, I'm assuming they're the same as the last 4 times they brought them back. I think BK sucks, but Cheesy Tots were good and something I thought should have been a menu item not a LTO.
I agree with this, not that it matters since they aren't good enough by themselves to get me in the restaurant. They should bring back the smokehouse cheddar from twenty years ago.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
8BSoAyxvRWFCEvu54YKi8T2ElSYqtQ6U8UNp5ngEylM.jpg

I haven't had a hot pocket in ages, but the crust seems a lot better than I remember. And it actually has a noticeable kick, 5/10 might be not too far off for once. For someone who thinks Tabasco is "hot" this would be spicy for them. The Habenaro or the hot sauce makes your lips tingle and it lingers for awhile. It's not even close to spicy to me, but I can plow through spicy foods. This would be a good level for normal people. They taste pretty good, I mean nothing special but as far as hot pockets go these are top tier. I'm lazy and impatient so I nuked it using the crisper sleeve, and it wasn't crispy, more of a dry hard. So the texture was a little strange, but at least it wasn't soft and unlike the old ones I remember nuking, it didn't split open at the seams. I always chuckle at the fact they use reduced fat Mozzarella, I guess that makes it a healthy option?

This would be infinitely better cooked in an oven or air fryer and drizzled with hot honey.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
What Era are you comparing the crust to? I ask because I recently had a hot pocket for the first time in 20+ years and compared to the crust of the '90s I thought it was turrible.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
What Era are you comparing the crust to? I ask because I recently had a hot pocket for the first time in 20+ years and compared to the crust of the '90s I thought it was turrible.

I remember the 90s and if they tasted better it was because I baked them. When I would microwave them back then they didn't have the crisp sleeve, which isn't great but it does make them less mushy.