The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Page 90 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Hadn't had Carl's Jr. in awhile so my stepson and I stopped by the other day. He ordered a superstar w/cheese meal large. Just shy of $19!! if we had more time I should've walked out with him and went to Chili's right next door for that price!
Personally I'd take Carl's Jr over Chili's any day. At least the Carl's Jr in LA (they became trash in San Antonio, nowhere near the quality they are in Cali).

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I'm curious how expensive Fatburger is now. I remember the Kingburger fat fries and Coke combo was like $11 in 2008 when I moved out of LA, can't imagine what it runs now. Been back to LA a couple of times since then but never did check Fatburger again so I can't image the sticker shock on that meal in 2024.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
I found some maple raisin bran at the grocery outlet, and it's fucking delicious. Take note @IronWing, it reminds me of BucWheats. That's a distant memory, so it might be off, but it's really good. I'm hoping they have more when I go this weekend. I want to get a few more boxes. I'll store it in the fridge if I have to. I'll also check at Wegmans next time I go, but my usual grocery shopping isn't at standard grocery stores, so I can't check if they have it.

I looked for it at Safeway and bought some. They're pretty good. Don't think they taste too much like buckwheats, but similar. Too many raisins in there. I've always liked maple flavor.

Ever eat Maypo? Only hot cereal I really liked. Apparently Amazon carries it.
Maypo Instant Maple Oatmeal, 3-pack https://a.co/d/d7lWWbs

Here's the original commercial.

Reactions: lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'll try to remember to look for that locally, or put on my next amazon order. My hot cereal consumption is mostly limited to winter, and it's usually just steel cut oats with butter and salt, but I like other stuff. Cream of Wheat is good with butter and brown sugar. Has a sort of coppery taste I like. Haven't had that in years.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Cream of Wheat is one of my comfort foods, especially after coming in from a cold winter day. Nutritional profile of it means I don't eat it anymore though.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Cream of Wheat is one of my comfort foods, especially after coming in from a cold winter day. Nutritional profile of it means I don't eat it anymore though.
Malt-o-Meal is delicious. Reg, chocolate, or maple, mmm. Hot Ralston is good too.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
None of the DQ's around me have the food part just ice cream (1stworldproblem!) Anywho I was near one today. So I had to get the OG Chicken Strip basket.

Firstly, Country Gravy as a dipping sauce is elite, and I can't think of another fast food place that has it. Dipping chicken strips in Ranch is cool, but peppery white gravy is a better option IMHO. They also offer Cheese Curds for a side instead of fries, they are elite. Well, I don't know about DQs, I've never had theirs. But in general, they're one of my favorite appetizers.

The Texas toast was toasted nice, the gravy was pretty good, and pretty peppery. The fries were crunchy and had the right amount of salt. This is Dairy Queen we're talking about. But as far as fast food, it was as good as I remember. Their website made a point to mention they make their Ranch in house. I have no idea if this is real or bullshit. But I got a side of it, and it was definitely a lot better than most fast food places. But I ended up mostly just dipping everything in the gravy. Texas Toast in gravy is really damn good.

I was full and over an hour from home so no Blizzard, but I used to love the chicken strip basket and a blizzard for desert. That used to be some of the best fast food eating. Before the lone DQ with food in my city closed down :(