The Official 2020 General Election returns thread CONT'D

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Once the EC is finalized you think this will continue until Jan 20th? Or will they finally walk away?

Mar 11, 2004
Once the EC is finalized you think this will continue until Jan 20th? Or will they finally walk away?

What do you mean exactly? You mean will Turmp stop trying to push legal challenges? I doubt it. They'll keep this shit up forever (just like them trying to destroy the ACA), or until they're literally thrown in jail or prevented from legally doing it. Its a winning political strategy for them so far (well insofar as inciting people to support them via spreading FUD about everyone else). Hell, I bet it'll continue after Turmp is dead. It might not legally be about Turmp specifically, but they're going to constantly be doing this stuff (unless of course the election favors them), if for no other reason than to poison the well and so when people bring legit grievances they can claim its just partisan revenge for Republicans doing it. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they're looking at the Civil Rights Era and trying to follow that as a blueprint (knowing full well just why the situations are different but also believing that its not because as modern white Christian Republicans, they're the most persecuted people anywhere ever in the history of the universe).

Or do you mean something else?

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
What do you mean exactly? You mean will Turmp stop trying to push legal challenges? I doubt it. They'll keep this shit up forever (just like them trying to destroy the ACA), or until they're literally thrown in jail or prevented from legally doing it. Its a winning political strategy for them so far (well insofar as inciting people to support them via spreading FUD about everyone else). Hell, I bet it'll continue after Turmp is dead. It might not legally be about Turmp specifically, but they're going to constantly be doing this stuff (unless of course the election favors them), if for no other reason than to poison the well and so when people bring legit grievances they can claim its just partisan revenge for Republicans doing it. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they're looking at the Civil Rights Era and trying to follow that as a blueprint (knowing full well just why the situations are different but also believing that its not because as modern white Christian Republicans, they're the most persecuted people anywhere ever in the history of the universe).

Or do you mean something else?
It's like the deficit, they'll go real quiet while they're in charge, then raise bloody hell over it when they're not.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001

- A lot of this brief is people in glass houses casting stones. It argues that allowing absentee ballots to arrive after Election Day undermines faith in democracy. But Kansas and Mississippi, which both signed on, also count mail-in ballots that arrive late.

that's an interesting tactic, will it work
Of course. All these red states joining in on a very unconstitutional lawsuit. Who would have guessed.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
- A lot of this brief is people in glass houses casting stones. It argues that allowing absentee ballots to arrive after Election Day undermines faith in democracy. But Kansas and Mississippi, which both signed on, also count mail-in ballots that arrive late.

that's an interesting tactic, will it work
While I know facts and logic remain completely irrelevant to the party of Trump, it is still worth noting that throwing out ballots received after election day would make absolutely no difference in the election results in any of the 4 states in question - and 3 of the 4 states already disallow it. Unlike several of the states signing onto the petition.

Reactions: Amused

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
A federal judge threw out the latest Chemtrail Kelli- Giuliani suit, basically declaring it stupid.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
106 Republican congressmen (more than 1/2) today endorsed Trump's effort to overturn the election result.

On Thursday, a whopping 106 House Republicans signed their names to an amicus brief sent to the Supreme Court in support of a lawsuit by Texas attorney general Ken Paxton. Paxton, who is reportedly under investigation by the FBI for bribery and abuse of office—allegations he of course denies—falsely claims in his suit that Pennsylvania, Georgia, Michigan, and Wisconsin violated the Constitution by counting invalid votes, and has asked the court to force all four states to throw out every vote cast and, while they’re at it, appoint electors who support Trump.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I believe there is a guillotine in Smithsonian. Time to bring it out and tune it up.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
106 Republican congressmen (more than 1/2) today endorsed Trump's effort to overturn the election result.

Ted Cruz will deliver the oral arguments to SCOTUS. I honestly didn’t think that pond scum could go any lower—but he’s digging a Marianas Trench in that pond.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Ted Cruz will deliver the oral arguments to SCOTUS. I honestly didn’t think that pond scum could go any lower—but he’s digging a Marianas Trench in that pond.

They have to agree to hear the case first.

They will not.

Reactions: Muse

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Trump will still hope that Congress on January 6th will refuse to accept the certificates from the States' electors. I.e. full-on coup d'etat when nothing less will do. This is where the law gets murky and although the GOP nutters can't just award the EC victory to Trump, the best they can do is dispute the certificates and throw the normally ceremonial task into chaos. If somehow Congress refuses to accept the results indefinitely, the Speaker of the House becomes President on Jan. 20th.

It's one thing to say let the motherfucker exhaust all his legal challenges before declaring the victor. But Congressmen unwilling to accept the certified votes from States would rightfully be called traitorous.

Reactions: Muse

ralfy

Jul 22, 2013
A copy of the lawsuit and amici curiae brief can be found online. The gist is that there are thousands of violations in registration, voting, counting procedures, and can also be seen in light of data analyses submitted to various groups.

There's also an ongoing investigation in GA involving voting machines, with videos showing how they are not secure and presented in election hearings. The gist is that the machines tabulate ballots with no guards against overvoting, duplicates, and blank ballots except that they are put in adjudication. For the latter, instead of simply accepting or rejecting ballots, the software allows users to modify ballots, e.g., fill in blank ballots, change votes, overvote, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: zinfamous