The no-hate thread about why Skyrim is bad

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Keep in mind that difficulty and reality does not constitute a good game. Remember that a lot of games were created to allow us to do something we could not have done in reality.

Wait you are telling me there is no dragons flying around outside that may try and eat me forcing me to slay it?

Well... Why have I been hiding in my house all these years.

Dumb game designer liars.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Wait you are telling me there is no dragons flying around outside that may try and eat me forcing me to slay it?

Well... Why have I been hiding in my house all these years.

Dumb game designer liars.

LOL. Don't believe him. I KNOW that dragons actually exist. I had one chase me down the street, setting fire to houses as it went back when I was in College (or was it the drugs?). Anyway, Dragons ARE real.

Grimbones

Jun 12, 2004
not quite so; compare it to another FPS, say, gears of war. or serious sam. or max paine. alan wake. whatever you prefer.

in those games the 3d shooting is the core of the game and it's been balanced to give you a challenge; be it the number of medikits available, respawns, weapons available, etc...

in skyrim you can recover full hp everywhere. cast stun + damage spells. hide right in front of a mob. quaff potions instantly. use powers (berserk is sooo OP). use the voice. and so on. at level 1 you already have berserk, flame, a bow and sword, and the stunning shout. plus the potions you make from the stuff they practically throw at you.

see i started playing videogames when videogames first started existing. yeah i was alive well before pong and space invaders, and have lived through the era of really difficult gameplay. when i try a game, i will do my outmost best to beat it. if the game lets itself get beaten too easily to me, the game mechanics are broken.

there is a classic argument on minecraft after beds were made available. before, you had to endure 8 minutes of night each day, and while you could just stay holed up and wait, if you got bored or impatient and went out, skeletons and zombies kicked ur butt.

that was essentially 99% of the "survival" in survival mode. with beds, click on bed, perma-day.

so, people say, "if you don't like the bed, don't use it", and here is the beef. i am a person who does not accept that as a valid reasoning. it's in the game, i am meant to use it, i will use it to beat the game. in fallout, i will try to get a strong character and i will not instead get random perks .. because it's a game, and that's what you do when you try to beat a game.
Stuff that doesn't need "beating" ... isn't a game, to me. Not anymore than those hentai games where you watch the girls pose in bikinis, like DOA beach thingie what was it called.

look, half of the people here got me wrong; i love the exploration, to be able to go into any cave i want. what sucks is my interaction with the cave, what's in it, and how everything is just the same. all mobs are the same. yeah right, some breath fire, some move faster, but they all just do hp dmg; no rust monster is going to break my +1 sword. no curses. no diseases. (yeah lol, once. ) no stat affecting statuses because there aren't any stats. honestly gameplay wise Oblivion was better, you actually had to watch what you said to NPCs to not piss them off. thievery was a viable option. Athletics was great. custom spells!! weapons were well, already OP, but not so OP as to be ridiculous.

design choices are what makes a game or breaks it. most fantasy games will have you wearing one armor's texture or another; so if you are going to code in a loincloth, ffs can you take 3 sec to code in cold damage?

FYI there's a 3d game made by a bunch of bedroom coders which is like, 10 years old called Mount & Blade which although butt-ugly has far superior 3d combat to skyrim. AND it's got horses. and lances.

Skyrim's game experience for those who love it is primarely visual; sort of like Rez, but fantasy; and 3d. People like the way it looks, people even gimp their characters pretending the game has classes, so you'd have the thief who runs in light armour when he could just wear daedric. Fallout 3 has hordes of people who chose their armour based on what looks cool :/

Hey Crysis was great but the game was about killing stuff using your guns and your suit powers. It wasn't about walking through the jungle looking at the pretty flowers. Sure you can do that, but that's not what is called "core gameplay". That, assuming people like fetch quests ... then sure, they cal call sidequests "gameplay"; Summoner 2 had a lot of sidequests and you had better do some if you wanted to beat the game. I'm not calling for every game to be linear, but there needs to be linear sections enclosed in the free roaming to have any sense of time. Like GTA, which is far superior to Skyrim. You can wander around and postpone your main quests, but when you do start the missions, you're in a box, albeit large. you have goals to achieve. Namely, the defeat of Alduin and the fate of the Dovahkin;

and to all the people who have 100 hours and 30% completion .. WTFLOL? my skyrim ran out around 50 hours of game, with all quests done, all guilds beat, 100 in crafting, enchanting, magic, full daedric gear, all daedric artefacts worth having, etc.. get quest, fast travel, spacebarspacebarspacebarspacebarspacebarspacebarspacebar through the talk spacebarspacebarspacebarspacebarspacebarspacebar it's not like i actually have to pay attention because all i frikkin have to do is follow the arrow and kill the mob. spacebarspacebarspacebarspacebar fast travel kill mob get new quest. i did the whole college of magic quest in maybe 2 1/2 hours. am i going too fast? sure, i'm going as fast as i can. i'm here to beat the game, not collect flowers.

I want to agree with some of the things you are saying, but you are such an arrogant and petulant ass that i cannot bring myself to do it. Stop going on and on about how good you are, and about how much you know about everything gaming related, and how Bethesda obviously knows little about anything.

Is the game perfect? No. Do i agree with you that the combat does not suit an RPG that amazingly, yes, and it has always been a gripe of mine, but MANY MANY people feel otherwise.

You know what i always loved about elder scrolls games, exploring, and for some stupid reason alchemy. I love going out, and running to most places, and seeing what i can discover in the world. The world itself is typically beautiful, and i love just going off and getting lost.

No the story was not amazing or very focused, but i do not believe it was meant to be, because there are a million different things.

One thing i will complain about though, the tradeskilling in games has gotten to be pretty trivial and dull...if you have the items you make it instantly. I blame WoW for this mostly. I understand this is not an MMO, but there are ways to make crafting entertaining...if not, loot drops for all the combat driven people

That is all! I will get off my soapbox now.

Edit: And to be clear, i love games with strong stories, and they are probably the most memorable to me. Bioshock, Red Dead Redemption, amazing, and far superior to skyrim, but that does not diminish the joy in that game either.

Last edited:

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
LOL. Don't believe him. I KNOW that dragons actually exist. I had one chase me down the street, setting fire to houses as it went back when I was in College (or was it the drugs?). Anyway, Dragons ARE real.

Few years back there was a Nat. Geographic on "Dragons". In which they showed the environment and how they survived and such if dragons really existed. And how they would have died out. etc. Pretty interesting.

1 fact that I do find interesting is how so many civilizations around 1000-500 B.C. Had pictures (slightly different variations) of dragons drawn and decoration and mythology behind them. Especially since many some of the countries were seperated by oceans apart.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
komodo-bite-1.jpg

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Few years back there was a Nat. Geographic on "Dragons". In which they showed the environment and how they survived and such if dragons really existed. And how they would have died out. etc. Pretty interesting.

1 fact that I do find interesting is how so many civilizations around 1000-500 B.C. Had pictures (slightly different variations) of dragons drawn and decoration and mythology behind them. Especially since many some of the countries were seperated by oceans apart.

I don't discount the possibility of the existence of dragons (apart from the one that chased me down the street in college), but equally I put down similarities in descriptions of myths to common human heritage and similar experiences. So, if there are lizards around it is logical to exaggerate 'Dragons' from them when trying to impress or scare populations. The Human psyche isn't really that different across nations and cultures. Values may change the the underlying brain structure is about as similar as you can get. So same hardware but different software.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
I am going to genetically engineer that komodo dragon to give it wings and breathe fire and grow a few more feet.

Then I will breed it with an ape, and create.... A DRAGAPE. Fear the power of a Dragape.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
I am going to genetically engineer that komodo dragon to give it wings and breathe fire and grow a few more feet.

Then I will breed it with an ape, and create.... A DRAGAPE. Fear the power of a Dragape.

Hey, I fear Grape-ape. So that works. LOL (see how many get that reference).

Did you know that the original myth of the Unicorn actually came out of the Bible? There are several references in the original text which later got translated in the King James version into a more mundane animal (deer, I think though don't quote me on that). But historians say that a better literal translation would be unicorn. And was in reference to a deer like creature with a single horn. it could also have been a buffalo with a single horn.

ss284

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I was told that upping the skyrim difficulty level does nothing other than increase damage received, decrease damage dealt, and allow enemy mobs heal faster.

Is this true?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I was told that upping the skyrim difficulty level does nothing other than increase damage received, decrease damage dealt, and allow enemy mobs heal faster.

Is this true?

Yup, which is two more things than the average shooter does on higher difficulty settings.

In Fallout 3 and New Vegas the combat gets a lot harder on each setting, but you get more XP for enemies, and think slightly more for quests. Which is nice assuming you have a mod installed to get higher levels. Otherwise you just hit the level cap faster and thats not much good.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
I was told that upping the skyrim difficulty level does nothing other than increase damage received, decrease damage dealt, and allow enemy mobs heal faster. Is this true?

Yep. This was also true for Oblivion.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
hmm maybe I should play it again, after awhile it got boring ..maybe I should at least finish the main story.