The New Republic?s ?Baghdad Diarist? admits to exaggerations and falsehoods

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
kind of like how groups like Focus on the Family and uh...the Republican party make false stories and blatant fabrications about Adult and ES cell research to promote their agendas?

I wonder...which of the fabrications is more dangerous and irresponsible towards humanity? hmm...

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Amazing how many people are now falling back on the ?but so and so did it? argument?

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
...you wonder if they will ever learn.

Speaking of lies and the liars who tell them, as of 08/7/07 11:34 am EDT, your Traitor In Chief and his criminal cabal have murdered 3679 American troops (and growing) and left tens of thousands more wounded, scarred and disabled for life in his war of LIES in Iraq. That's 16 more than six days ago.
rose.gif
:(
rose.gif

One has to wonder if THEY will ever learn? One has to wonder whose lies are of greater concern to those dead and wounded troops and their families and friends? :roll:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Amazing how many people are now falling back on the ?but so and so did it? argument?

Those people are Republicans who are trying to excuse Bush's lies by saying, so what if the guy we voted for lied our country into a war, look some blogger lied on some website too, as if the two are remotely comparable. This is a nonstory that the conservative out of the mainstream media and their useful idiots are dredging up to distract from the mess they helped create.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999

Yeah. I was wondering where your "But Clinton did it" post was.

Somewhere in your neighborhood, there's a very lonely pot looking for it's kettle. :laugh:

Kwaipie

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
I could see the concern you have if this anonymous blogger was the only source of news in this travesty. Alas, it is not. Face facts, your war is a quagmire of unforeseen enormity.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
A blogger lied and an internet website that no body cares about ran with it.....

yeah, the american public really will suffer as a result. I'm suffering already having read this entire thread.

what is this new republic website anyway?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Do you think that the left never tells the truth about anything...

That about sums it up. And for the record, no, they don't.

I think it is appropriate to highlight when the outright frauds are discovered, just to remind people that everything you read and watch on television may not be exactly truth.

At any rate, I wonder what your problem with the thread is? Do you not support the cleansing of these fraudsters from the media? I know they toe the line with your political agenda but come on...

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Harvey
One has to wonder if THEY will ever learn? One has to wonder whose lies are of greater concern to those dead and wounded troops and their families and friends? :roll:

And once again, Harvey puppets up with the "Two Wrongs Make A Right" philosophy...

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Originally posted by: palehorse74
nobody is asking you to "justify his lies," but I've seen that you and yours certainly never have any problem embracing them...

I've been wanting to ask someone who has done alot of posting from Iraq. With the newer rules etc the Army has about posting to blogs

Army Squeezes Soldier Blogs, Maybe to Death

The U.S. Army has ordered soldiers to stop posting to blogs or sending personal e-mail messages, without first clearing the content with a superior officer, Wired News has learned. The directive, issued April 19, is the sharpest restriction on troops' online activities since the start of the Iraq war. And it could mean the end of military blogs, observers say.
http://www.wired.com/politics/.../2007/05/army_bloggers

Does this also apply to message boards? When you were calling your Commander in Chief,"gutless". I was wondering if you were trying to shoot yourself in the foot ;)

edit- Guess it does ;)

Army Regulation 530--1: Operations Security (OPSEC) (.pdf) restricts more than just blogs, however. Previous editions of the rules asked Army personnel to "consult with their immediate supervisor" before posting a document "that might contain sensitive and/or critical information in a public forum." The new version, in contrast, requires "an OPSEC review prior to publishing" anything -- from "web log (blog) postings" to comments on internet message boards, from resumes to letters home.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It was the OP who started up with the "See! They're Liars too!" song and dance, Pabster, attempting to tar all of the opposition ot the war with the same brush...

As if the deeds of a single dogface blogger carry the import of the POTUS...

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

Oh the irony :laugh:

You are a giant hypocrite when it comes to this.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Orignal Earl
nobody is asking you to "justify his lies," but I've seen that you and yours certainly never have any problem embracing them...

I've been wanting to ask someone who has done alot of posting from Iraq. With the newer rules etc the Army has about posting to blogs

Army Squeezes Soldier Blogs, Maybe to Death

The U.S. Army has ordered soldiers to stop posting to blogs or sending personal e-mail messages, without first clearing the content with a superior officer, Wired News has learned. The directive, issued April 19, is the sharpest restriction on troops' online activities since the start of the Iraq war. And it could mean the end of military blogs, observers say.
http://www.wired.com/politics/.../2007/05/army_bloggers

Does this also apply to message boards? When you were calling your Commander in Chief,"gutless". I was wondering if you were trying to shoot yourself in the foot ;)

edit- Guess it does ;)

Army Regulation 530--1: Operations Security (OPSEC) (.pdf) restricts more than just blogs, however. Previous editions of the rules asked Army personnel to "consult with their immediate supervisor" before posting a document "that might contain sensitive and/or critical information in a public forum." The new version, in contrast, requires "an OPSEC review prior to publishing" anything -- from "web log (blog) postings" to comments on internet message boards, from resumes to letters home.
I think I post here without crossing any opsec boundaries. Are you planning to tell mommy on me, or what? What's your point?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: jman19

That is the WHOLE point.

The same people who bitch and moan when ever we say "But Clinton did it too" are now doing the exact same thing.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
It was the OP who started up with the "See! They're Liars too!" song and dance, Pabster, attempting to tar all of the opposition ot the war with the same brush...

As if the deeds of a single dogface blogger carry the import of the POTUS...

The thing is, incidents like this have happened before. I seem to recall a well-known Reuters photographer caught editing images, and I'm quite sure there have been a few others. I think it is important to weed these frauds out -- apparently some do not, at least, so long as they agree with whatever agenda these people are touting.

This guy may have been a "no name blogger" but a lot of big stories have began with a simple blog posting and tailspun in to national headlines...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
From Pabster-

The thing is, incidents like this have happened before.

Indeed they have, and often, from such luminaries as Bush, Cheney, Hadley, Rumsfeld, Perle, Powell, Libby and a host of others, some of whom are "journalists" a lot more influential than this guy who PJ want to make a big fuss about...

Let's try for a little bit of *perspective*, OK?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
Let's try for a little bit of *perspective*, OK?

Well, since each has their own "perspective" we may need to agree to disagree. ;)

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Pabster

And once again, Harvey puppets up with the "Two Wrongs Make A Right" philosophy...

And once again, you're in such a hurry to toss harpoons my way that you completely failed to read my statement in context, let alone understand it.

PJ's OP complains that stories by the "Baghdad Diarist" in the New Republic wer false, and included his offhand remark:

... you wonder if they will ever learn.

My post was in direct response to PJ's, using his own words and making a specific point. Nowhere did I say anything that remotely resembles a "Two Wrongs Make A Right" philosophy or excuses publishing false stories in any way. That's PJ's tactic, and it isn't hard to find his "but Clinton did it" posts all over P&N.

Furthermore, since you're accusing me of "once again" behaving like a puppet and making such a statement, I defy you find any previous post of mine to support your bullshit attack.

If you can't, at least have the courtesy to apologize. I've done that with many members, including PJ, when I've posted in error. Can you? :roll:

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
If you can't, at least have the courtesy to apologize. I've done that with many members, including PJ, when I've posted in error. Can you? :roll:

Of course, but I'd like for you to explain the following:

One has to wonder whose lies are of greater concern to those dead and wounded troops and their families and friends?

That sure sounds like a two wrongs make a right ... you are implying that two sets of lies were given and that one set is somehow less important than the other. Or is there some hidden meaning that I'm overlooking here?

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005

I think I post here without crossing any opsec boundaries. Are you planning to tell mommy on me, or what? What's your point?

So it's up to you to decide for yourself? I really can't see the Army watching or you having to show someone every post
But thats just message boards right?
Every blog post has to be cleared by a superior officer. No?

The U.S. Army has ordered soldiers to stop posting to blogs or sending personal e-mail messages, without first clearing the content with a superior officer

Thats all, just asking, no need to bother mommy yet

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
The internet and bloggers have the Leftstream Media in a tailspin.
Advertising dollars are streaming away from Print media..
False and bias reporting (Dan Rather/Mapes CBS/ Jason Blair/Howell Raines NYT, etc) are tarnishing the once flawless reputation of the Leftist Media establishments ("The Tiffany Network", "All the News that Fit to Print")..

yep, it's tough out there if you make something up in the media, your gonna get called out, whether your on the left or the right of something..

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Talk about a non-story. The out of the mainstream rightwing media is desperate for stories to distract from the mess they helped create, so they are trying to make blogs the story now, like they made the media the story before while ignoring/covering up the real story of government lying us into a war. Next they will be covering ATPN posts they don't like.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: jman19

That is the WHOLE point.

The same people who bitch and moan when ever we say "But Clinton did it too" are now doing the exact same thing.

The whole point is that you're a giant hypocrite? Cool.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: senseamp
Talk about a non-story. The out of the mainstream rightwing media is desperate for stories to distract from the mess they helped create, so they are trying to make blogs the story now, like they made the media the story before while ignoring/covering up the real story of government lying us into a war. Next they will be covering ATPN posts they don't like.
nobody claimed that this story was profound or far-reaching; only that it needed to be known that this one individual was a fraud. What's wrong with making that known?

It's also accurate to say that this isn't the first time something like this has happened. Just as all Muslims can't be blamed for the actions of the fanatical minority, the Far Left fanatics written about in this thread are not indicative of the entire Left-leaning crowd.

It still needed to be known.

relax duuuude.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Has anyone seen any other report from any other news source besides the Weekly Standard about this "admission"? He may very well have lied, I'd just like to see something mainstream on it.