The most annoying trend in web design so far:

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Is there any way to get rid of the huge unskipable ads in the corner when I come here?

Not that I mind supporting this place. It's one of the few sites that actually has interesting posts and conversation. But those boxes are annoying as hell.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I dislike pages that aren't just "plain vertical layout pages" - certain sections, you try to scroll, scroll, scroll your way through, and they like step through animations, or horizontal scrolling, etc.

Asus's ROG STRIX B450-F ATX mobo page is like that, total PITA.

Edit: I take that back, it seems to work "normally" now as regards to scrolling.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I use ublock origin.

Current versions of Adblock Plus also take care of this issue. :)

*(I suggest referring to one of the several threads on the topic "browser ad-blockers" to go over the pros and cons of different options)

How about the "Answer these survey-questions to view content" after the first couple of paragraphs with the rest of the article "greyed out" till you do some garbage "survey"??

*(all the above does is earn your craptastic website a "hide all content" flag on Google just like that "last free article" bull$hit)

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
This website would like to know your location!

This website would like to send you notifications!

GIVE US YOUR EMAIL FOR 10% OFF!

Pretty shitty state of affairs, yeah.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yup, that's pretty annoying. I'd also nominate the "video I wasn't watching hops down the page as I scroll" 'feature'.
THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST!

Who thought that making a video that I didn't want to watch cover up the content that I did want to read was a good idea?!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Those things piss me off so much. Well most overuse of javascript does. All these stupid things trying to be "interactive". Fuck off! And so many freaking sites use this crap now. Ad blockers don't block them since it's not really an ad, and using noscript is a freaking nightmare because most sites won't even load until you fiddle around with trying to figure out which of 30 domains you need to allow. I HATE modern webdesign, it's such trash.

I hate trying to do any kind of research online now days because like at least 2 in 3 sites you land on will have shit like this to deal with.

What would be nice is an extension that strips out all the trash and just displays the content, but guess that would be hard to do without possibly breaking lot of sites.

It's like web designers now days just want to have epeen measuring contests about how many javascript frameworks they know how to use, so will use every single one of them just to display text and pictures.

I miss early 2000's web design. It was simple and got the job done.

Reactions: lxskllr

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
This website would like to know your location!

This website would like to send you notifications!

GIVE US YOUR EMAIL FOR 10% OFF!

Pretty shitty state of affairs, yeah.

Gmail's spam filter is so effective these days I'm no longer really bothered by this one.

If some idiot company wants to waste their resources sending a zillion
junk-emails to my spam folder in exchange for a discount I say have at it! (not like I'll ever even look at any of them)

:p

And does ANYONE EVER say "yes" to notifications on PC ?!? :confused:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I really wonder what's the point of the cookie acceptance notice. I suppose it's to prevent a lawsuit in case something happens because I somehow doubt they just get wiped if you say no.

I let the ads run here so it can keep it running. HFBoards though, the ads gobble up so much memory I shut down the ads with adblock.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I miss early 2000's web design. It was simple and got the job done.

Completely agreed!

Nothing wrong with a simple alphabetical list of actually active links and/or drop-down menu's.

The obsession with making everything "slick" and "shiny" to attract the short attention span majority crowd these days is dumbing down the net to the point that a lot of it just plain sucks.

Another related beef of mine is pathetically shallow two-paragraph news "articles" that don't just gloss over the facts they skip them entirely!

Utterly worthless except to the bad people. :(

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Gmail's spam filter is so effective these days I'm no longer really bothered by this one.

If some idiot company wants to waste their resources sending a zillion
junk-emails to my spam folder in exchange for a discount I say have at it! (not like I'll ever even look at any of them)

:p

And does ANYONE EVER say "yes" to notifications on PC ?!? :confused:
Yeah, I don't understand how or why anyone, anywhere thought that would be a good feature to add...

Reactions: Captante

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I really wonder what's the point of the cookie acceptance notice. I suppose it's to prevent a lawsuit in case something happens because I somehow doubt they just get wiped if you say no.

I let the ads run here so it can keep it running. HFBoards though, the ads gobble up so much memory I shut down the ads with adblock.
I think that's mostly fallout from GDPR.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Or articles that require you to keep clicking "next" to get like 2 sentences at a time. WTF is up with that crap? Have not run into that in a while though.

The biggest mistake is clicking on news articles that show up on FB, they seem to favour the most shittiest site designs.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Or articles that require you to keep clicking "next" to get like 2 sentences at a time. WTF is up with that crap? Have not run into that in a while though.

The biggest mistake is clicking on news articles that show up on FB, they seem to favour the most shittiest site designs.
I am shocked, I say shocked, to discover that you read news articles from FB.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante and MtnMan

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I didn't see this as a problem, but now I'm woke. I'm gone pay more attention to what these websites are trying to pull on us people.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Current versions of Adblock Plus also take care of this issue. :)

*(I suggest referring to one of the several threads on the topic "browser ad-blockers" to go over the pros and cons of different options)

How about the "Answer these survey-questions to view content" after the first couple of paragraphs with the rest of the article "greyed out" till you do some garbage "survey"??

*(all the above does is earn your craptastic website a "hide all content" flag on Google just like that "last free article" bull$hit)
I absolutely love Adblock.

In addition, I have a router that supports Safe Access, which I think is a google function, and I have it set to block advertising. Between Adblock and Safe Access, virtually nothing makes it to my browser.

Additionally, Safe Access works for all devices connected to my router. I have a couple of games on my phone, that are virtually unplayable if I'm on 4G because of all the nagging, and forcing me to watch a 30-second video I can't skip or shutoff.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

In addition, I have a router that supports Safe Access, which I think is a google function, and I have it set to block advertising. Between Adblock and Safe Access, virtually nothing makes it to my browser.

Additionally, Safe Access works for all devices connected to my router. I have a couple of games on my phone, that are virtually unplayable if I'm on 4G because of all the nagging, and forcing me to watch a 30-second video I can't skip or shutoff.
My wife won't let me near her without safe access pulled down over my router.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

My curiosity is officially piqued lol ... what router do you have?

Or articles that require you to keep clicking "next" to get like 2 sentences at a time. WTF is up with that crap?

"click-bait"

noun: clickbait; noun: click bait
  1. (on the internet) content whose main purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page.
    "these recent reports of the show's imminent demise are hyperbolic clickbait"
  2. misleading internet content or shocking headline titles that aim to drive traffic to a website.

Last edited:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Honestly surfing has become a chore. I feel like we should get paid to use the internet. I've thought about recording my screen just to show how much work it is to use the internet.

I hate pages that load as you scroll down the page. It's impossible to search the page for keywords (control+F) without first scrolling all the way down to the bottom. I also hate pages that load some elements later so when you go to click something as the page loads an element pops up pushing everything else down and you accidentally click the wrong and now you're on your way to another page.

Also, Firefox looks to have removed the ability to pick a non-https image and block it so you can reload the page so it's secure. This makes no sense.