The MMO ITCH!

stumben32

Mar 5, 2008
3 months clean and sober from mmos since I quit a very bland short lived experience with warhammer.

Anyone else like me, feel like they have finally hit the end of the road with mmos?

I still have that unexplainable itch to be playing one. but nothing out there can scratch it.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I hit that end of the road more than 4 years ago, I don't miss it, life goes on.

Aug 28, 2006
I can't help but try most new ones when they come out. But, after the initial months I always end up bored and cancelling. I can't find any that are able to keep me interested past the initial excitement like UO and DAOC did.

I think it has to do with time for me. Now that I have kids, it's nearly impossible to find a large stretch of time to play unless I stay up until 3:00am ( not a good idea).

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
If you wanna do well in the MMO community, having kids is definitely a deal breaker. Working full-time or having more than a few friends are also not recommended. I quit WoW before TBC, while in the top usa horde guild, overrated. I did try playing again like 6 months later but quickly quit, and haven't felt like playing since. Bring on Diablo 3 though imo - i might have to switch to casual or part time though, or at least build up some vacation time.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Originally posted by: TidusZ
If you wanna do well in the MMO community, having kids is definitely a deal breaker. Working full-time or having more than a few friends are also not recommended. I quit WoW before TBC, while in the top usa horde guild, overrated. I did try playing again like 6 months later but quickly quit, and haven't felt like playing since. Bring on Diablo 3 though imo - i might have to switch to casual or part time though, or at least build up some vacation time.

Diablo 3 isn't a MMO though...

Onita

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
You really don't need THAT much time for MMO's, depending on your guild etc. Nothing has kept my interest like DAoC... I played for PvP and could solo when I wanted/needed.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: ayabe
I hit that end of the road more than 4 years ago, I don't miss it, life goes on.

ggnl

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
I've lost interest to the point that I don't play obsessively like I used to when I had more free time. I don't see any reason to stop altogether though, I like the persistant characters even if I can't be uber anymore.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Made it to lvl 28 in WoW on one character, by then I had no urge to play the game anymore and despite several attempts I can't pick it up again.

I lasted 6 months in EvE online, but the money grind drove me out of the game. I refuse to play again until they fix that.

Now I'm playing Pirates of the Burning Sea and enjoying it quite a bit. Level grinding isn't very bad as I am constantly using new ships as I level, the missions are diverse enough to not get overly repetitive, and the money grind isn't much of a grind at all.

All 3 I played with one or more friends in RL. The biggest draws for me is warfare and politics, something WoW severely lacks, I'm not willing to give WAR a try because it looks too similar and in PotBS the goal is to conquer the server (4 factions).

Next comes Darkfall if it meets it's Feb 25 release date (was bumbled back from Jan 22 where they did a new round of beta instead).

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
MMO is only fun if you know the people and gchat is busy talking all kinds of crazy shit. For me, WoW fits the bill.

Ganeedi

Jul 7, 2008
I still have the itch to go back to playing an MMO. But, I'm having too much fun with the single player games that are out now. I cant keep up with the ones i want to play.

MMOs dont have a pause button while in raids/groups. At this point in my life, that is a deal breaker.

Koudelka

Jul 3, 2004
Ever since the early days of EQ, and the first couple expansions.. I havent been able to find an MMO that even compares to it.

Just my opinion, but i prefer being forced to group with other people. I like to see a community inside a game of players that know one another. You could logon to your server and be great friends with half the people on there.

I couldnt ever get into WoW. Any game where i can quickly solo my way to max level, without ever having any kind of social interaction is not the game for me. Doesnt build any sort of server community where everyone knows each other and knows the bad apples.

I'm still waiting for a group-based game. Think those days are over though.. i have the itch and it will probably never be satisfied again.

These days its all about being able to solo quickly, and catering to any casual who plays 20 minutes a week.

Yes, more profit for said company, but leaves a lot of old school MMO fans no longer playing.

Warhammer was fun for a few days, until i realized its like WoW but even worse. Can solo to max level easily without ever encountering another player, which is likely because the servers are all so underpopulated and they keep adding more. And its not fun waiting in a queue for a RvR for 1hr during the day, and only being able to play on the weekend unless you enjoy the queue times of 1hr+

Lumathix

Golden Member
Mar 16, 2004
Originally posted by: Koudelka
Ever since the early days of EQ, and the first couple expansions.. I havent been able to find an MMO that even compares to it.

Just my opinion, but i prefer being forced to group with other people. I like to see a community inside a game of players that know one another. You could logon to your server and be great friends with half the people on there.

I couldnt ever get into WoW. Any game where i can quickly solo my way to max level, without ever having any kind of social interaction is not the game for me. Doesnt build any sort of server community where everyone knows each other and knows the bad apples.

I'm still waiting for a group-based game. Think those days are over though.. i have the itch and it will probably never be satisfied again.

These days its all about being able to solo quickly, and catering to any casual who plays 20 minutes a week.

Yes, more profit for said company, but leaves a lot of old school MMO fans no longer playing.

Warhammer was fun for a few days, until i realized its like WoW but even worse. Can solo to max level easily without ever encountering another player, which is likely because the servers are all so underpopulated and they keep adding more. And its not fun waiting in a queue for a RvR for 1hr during the day, and only being able to play on the weekend unless you enjoy the queue times of 1hr+

Feel same way.

skulkingghost

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2006
I was an EQ2 addict. Since then nothing has scratched the itch like it did.

I tried warcraft... nothing
Warhammer was fun for about a month (i dont like the toony graphics.)
Shaiya sucked
Bloodymare was ok for a week
I tried every free mmo I could think of.

THEN a friend introduced me to Age of Conan, and I am in love, I feel like its a much more streamlined EQ2, gorgeous graphics, and not toony. It fits the bill quite nicely, and I really enjoy it. you all should definitely try it, especially with buddy keys being easy to get.

Feb 4, 2009
Koudelka said it best, I was facinated by EQ1. I as on dial up so playing it was a pain but it was (for the time) amazing that my buddies could tell me to meet them in the game and they were all there. I was facinated by that, now its not so new anymore and I guess the magic is gone. I am dying for a good mmo to play with my buddies again but none have that same mystique. Tried Daoc, bland and small.....AOC, fun at first but rapidly got boring.....tried the WAR beta felt it was designed by a group of people without any passion....AO came close but none of my buddies would try it. I guess Darkfall is my next great hope but somehow I sense failure there too.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
DDO is still an awesome way to spend spare time over 2-3 months if you're the social type. If not, then DarkFall will probably be interesting for an ex-WAR player until at least early summer.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
Originally posted by: skulkingghostTHEN a friend introduced me to Age of Conan, and I am in love, I feel like its a much more streamlined EQ2, gorgeous graphics, and not toony. It fits the bill quite nicely, and I really enjoy it. you all should definitely try it, especially with buddy keys being easy to get.
If you like PvP a lot then playing Age of Conan on a PvP server can be pretty interesting. If you're the PvE type then there's nowhere near enough endgame to keep you interested if you play 4+ hours per evening.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I haven't played an MMO in 5 years, and I very regularly get the longing too. However, every mainstream MMO out today is too crappy for me to get into (with the exception of EVE Online).

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: Baked
MMO is only fun if you know the people and gchat is busy talking all kinds of crazy shit. For me, WoW fits the bill.

at the moment, this is the same for me....I would be more then happy if some other better MMO crossed my path.

Originally posted by: skulkingghost

THEN a friend introduced me to Age of Conan, and I am in love, I feel like its a much more streamlined EQ2, gorgeous graphics, and not toony. It fits the bill quite nicely, and I really enjoy it. you all should definitely try it, especially with buddy keys being easy to get.

I got pre-beta AoC and thought it was the shit, then on release day I played and got past 20...yeah, not so much the shit anymore. I have tried going back, but something seems off about the game...

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
I just evolved to more "mature" MMO's. Been playing EVE for almost a year now off and on. If work or life throws me a rough spot, I can drop the game entirely for a month or two and still make constant character progress when during the time I was away for when I return. Gone are the days of scheduled raids 3-5 nights a week, where others relied on you to be there and commit to a second non-paying job in a video game. In EVE, I progress as fast, or slow as I feel like it. I have zero pressure, and if I really want to I can spend half my day at work watching the market and making money purely by toying with buy/sell orders. Then go home, run missions with the girlfriend, or pewpew in a 0.0 roaming gang.

The beautiful thing is, if I just don't feel like it, nobody is going to cry to me for not attending their roam. I was a MT for a top 10 US Horde WoW guild for almost 3 years - missing a single day would have gotten me SO much shit it's unbelievable. Simply amazing pressure.

With EVE? Zero. I do what I want, when I want, and how I want. And I can still make a name for myself doing it.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
Originally posted by: ayabe

same here, I quit the EVE crack and gave my two accounts with millions of skillpoints away to my buddy. Never looked back. I get the itch every now and then when I see newsletters on upgrades and patches, but I don't give in. Life is more demanding than grinding away with virtual crap. You'll get over it

Koudelka

Jul 3, 2004
I've tried almost every MMO out there.. even the free ones or the insane korean ones with 1000 levels. Nothing has been able to satisfy me.

EQ1 was fun for the politics as well. It wasnt like every other game where you can be a total jackass and get away with it. If you were caught doing such things the whole server would know you and you'd most likely never find a decent guild or group again.

I tried EVE for a few days. I didnt like how i had to wait such and such time for my skills to go up instead or just progressing as i play.

Maybe its just me, but i really liked how in EQ there was a big death penalty. You ressurected without any equipment and had to loot your corpse, and took a big XP hit. Yes, it really sucked to die, but it made things more challenging and more interesting.

Killing your way through a dungeon to the very bottom or back was so much fun, considering you could die or wipe and spend the whole next day trying to get your corpse back. Yet again, not fun, but it made for a much different playstyle than knowing you're practically invincible because if you die.. it doesnt matter.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Koudelka
EQ1 was fun for the politics as well. It wasnt like every other game where you can be a total jackass and get away with it. If you were caught doing such things the whole server would know you and you'd most likely never find a decent guild or group again.

No allowed name changes + Very difficult to level up = reputation means an absolute ton to you

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What makes any MMO fun is the people you run amuck around in the world with. Plus..you just can't beat the $15.00 a month price tag for the entertainment value of an MMO.