The Microsoft Surface Tablet thread.

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I don't understand why people plan big sales growth immediately at release. I don't know how Windows releases have performed historically but most of my friends and family don't even know what the current version of Windows is, let alone plan purchases around new releases. I just don't see it being all that alluring, at least in terms of PC hardware.

I think the standard usage model for a phone is a bit different imo.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
I think that's the point. Microsoft is saying Windows is not just a desktop anymore. Right or wrong they're shifting direction. It may be a bit drastic for this generation. Of course with a lot of posters around here it wouldn't have matter what they did, they'd have found something to be pissy about.

That's fine and all. My gripe is that they're having a mouse do touch functions. Why?

On OSX, I can use my touchpad touch gestures to access notifications. With a mouse I can click a visible icon to access notifications.

There's absolutely no UX disconnect, but with W8 the disconnect is huge.

Last edited:

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
That's fine and all. My gripe is that they're having a mouse do touch functions. Why?

On OSX, I can use my touchpad touch gestures to access notifications. With a mouse I can click a visible icon to access notifications.

There's absolutely no UX disconnect, but with W8 the disconnect is huge.
I have Win8 loaded on a laptop (and of course the Surface that MS gave me) but I don't spend much time on that laptop as I mostly do Linux support. I'm not sure what you mean by having "a mouse do touch functions". Odds are though I'm still not going to be able to explain the thinking as I'm not drinking the kool-aid enough to say it's a perfect OS. It does a LOT of things wrong, but I do however get why it's going the direction it's going. I'm also pointing out that no matter what it did it'll still be wrong. I don't think I've seen the Windows release that didn't have a ton of people around here declaring it fail and finding any article that mentioned it's shortcomings, even if those shortcomings were nothing.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
I have Win8 loaded on a laptop (and of course the Surface that MS gave me) but I don't spend much time on that laptop as I mostly do Linux support. I'm not sure what you mean by having "a mouse do touch functions". Odds are though I'm still not going to be able to explain the thinking as I'm not drinking the kool-aid enough to say it's a perfect OS. It does a LOT of things wrong, but I do however get why it's going the direction it's going. I'm also pointing out that no matter what it did it'll still be wrong. I don't think I've seen the Windows release that didn't have a ton of people around here declaring it fail and finding any article that mentioned it's shortcomings, even if those shortcomings were nothing.

It's doing functions that are catered to touch. Hidden menus is not intuitive for a mouse as it is for touch.

OSX has hotspots too, but you set them up yourself and you're not forced to use them.

Win8 is clearly far too much on the mobile side rather than being balanced. I think it'll work great for mobile, but it doesn't fit well on the desktop.

I was happy with Win7 from the very beginning, so this isn't about bashing cause its cool. Don't get me started on several versions of IE10 either.

Super56K

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2004
On my HP Probook at least there were Windows 8 Synaptics touchpad drivers available that enabled more advanced gestures like swiping in from edges to bring up the new menus. But, it was clunky and didn't last long. Keyboard shortcuts are more efficient, and in Windows 8 it's pushing me to memorize and use them more frequently than I did in Windows 7.

Last edited:

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
Windows touchpads are unfortunately terrible. I don't know what the hang up is, but windows PC vendors have been trying to fix that for a long time.

Dominato3r

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2008

None one should get it from Newegg, considering the boxed upgrade costs more. Online upgrade is the way to go, and only for $40.

The desktop is inferior to win 7 desktop, that's for certain. I can multi-task better on win 7, than win 8. Heck, I can have 5 windows open all simultaneously, and do 5 things at once. Windows 8 allows you to mount in 3rds, which means a maximum of 3 windows open simultaneously. And besides that, switching between apps was a breeze. Just click on the task bar where the app is, and access your app that you were once on. Sure, on the new method, you swipe from the left, then dock it and access the rest of your apps. But that's just that much more steps to do, especially when you wanna move between 2 specific apps. You don't wanna swipe the whole damn thing over again to get it again... it's just too much hassle. Microsoft should've listened to the public.

That's incorrect. The desktop is equivalent to Windows 7, sans start button and Aero.

Last edited:

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
I'm nervous about buying the Surface now after some of the comments. I haven't upgraded my current computers to Windows 8 yet either.

Your own experience is the only opinion that should matter to you. And if you don't like the Surface, return it.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
my mistake, you're right, I can do almost all of what I can do in desktop mode. If Anything, Desktop mode is like a crippled Win 7 Virtual Machine, where you're missing the Start Menu. But you see how confusing that can be for a general consumer?

"Where are my apps?"
It's in the Metro Interface.

"Where?"
Swipe up, touch "All Apps"

"Can I access all my websites through Internet Explorer?"
Yes, but make sure you're using Desktop Mode's Internet Explorer. Metro's Internet Explorer is a 'in-between' mobile and desktop. This means you can only install flash on the desktop mode's Internet Explorer Browser, NOT metro.

-- In this scenario -- I can guarantee you people are already confused as to which browser to use.

The funny thing is that Windows 7 Did the XP Mode applications more seamless than Windows 8 does their desktop mode apps. It's like there's the "overall multi-tasking" and then there's the "Desktop Multi-Tasking".

The biggest thing for me is keeping Metro and Desktop Separate. It's like it doesn't know where/what it belongs to...

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
So I finally got to play with the Surface today at the Microsoft Store (yes the exist). My first impression: I liked it a lot. Windows 8 works really well on a tablet. I'm an Apple fan, but what I like about the Surface is that the OS is not just some phone OS made for the tablet (like the iPad).

All programs and apps were smooth. Love the little touches to the tablet such as the keyboard, kickstand, usb, etc. It shows how limited in functionality the ipad is (which I've been saying from the beginning).

Also just like to point out that I hate Windows 8 on my desktop, but on a touch screen like the Surface, it works really nice.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Then try using win rt desktop mode vs. win rt metro mode.
Why would that matter? You aren't using the desktop for much. The Surface is a device built for Metro. The only reason the desktop is still in there is that they didn't have time to Metrofy Office and clean up some other UI things. I think the desktop will be in the x86 version of Windows for a long time, but by WinRT 2.0, I think it will be gone from there.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Why would that matter? You aren't using the desktop for much. The Surface is a device built for Metro. The only reason the desktop is still in there is that they didn't have time to Metrofy Office and clean up some other UI things. I think the desktop will be in the x86 version of Windows for a long time, but by WinRT 2.0, I think it will be gone from there.

Does that even make sense? If the Surface was just a tablet with no design for a keyboard, then sure, I could see the Desktop going away, but when you've got a keyboard and mouse hooked up, would you really want to use the Metro interface of Internet Explorer instead of the desktop version? What about Metro OneNote instead of desktop OneNote?

Desktop is clearly not going away, even if Metro Word, PowerPoint, and Excel were ready right now. Why? Because when you've got different input method, you need a different interface, and Microsoft is smart enough to realize that now. Keyboard and mouse clearly excel in the desktop environment, it was built for it after all.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005

When you go into a Walmart or Best Buy, don't you expect to see a sea of Windows 8 touch laptops and tablets? I don't see them, and that's why Windows 8 isn't selling very well. Even in the Microsoft store, there are only 4-5 different touch enabled laptops available because OEMs seem to be dragging their feet. It's likel the #1 reason why Microsoft is building it's own hardware, because it's partners are clearly dropping the ball.

At some point, Microsoft is going to get fed up with its partners and build touch laptops, all-in-ones, touchscreen monitors, and touchscreen trackpads so that there will be at least ONE good product in every category out there. Right now it's pathetic honestly.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Does that even make sense? If the Surface was just a tablet with no design for a keyboard, then sure, I could see the Desktop going away, but when you've got a keyboard and mouse hooked up, would you really want to use the Metro interface of Internet Explorer instead of the desktop version? What about Metro OneNote instead of desktop OneNote?

Desktop is clearly not going away, even if Metro Word, PowerPoint, and Excel were ready right now. Why? Because when you've got different input method, you need a different interface, and Microsoft is smart enough to realize that now. Keyboard and mouse clearly excel in the desktop environment, it was built for it after all.
I've had the Surface for a few weeks now and I've honestly never have even touched the desktop version of IE other than trying it out once to see what was different about it. The metro version is just fine on the tablet. The keyboard and the touchpad are the secondary inputs on the Surface and I don't use them other than for Office. I mostly use the Surface as a tablet and not as a tiny computer. Once they Metro-fy Office, I don't see any real need to use the desktop after that except for a lot of UI bits.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
for work, when there are java enabled apps on the net.. i.e. iclosings.net, titlepoint.com

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Make it an 8 hour battery Microsoft. Don't screw this up.

You just took words right out of mouth. It makes more sense than the RT but "starting" at $899.. (which means no keyboard for certain) and "up to" 128 GB.. (i.e. $899 one is 64 GB or lower) It better have a killer battery performance.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
Price-wise, it makes sense. Compare it to a laptop with a 1080p screen and i5 processor.

Assuming battery-life and heat are good.

As for the type-cover, it's silly to not include it since it's cheap for MS and it's just bad PR to not include it.