The Mandalorian trailer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Guess I'll have to sign up for Disney+ cause I wanna see this. All I need is another streaming service but I guess I'll cancel it as soon as I get done with Mandalorian.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Guess I'll have to sign up for Disney+ cause I wanna see this. All I need is another streaming service but I guess I'll cancel it as soon as I get done with Mandalorian.

Last release date is Dec 27 2019
so 2 months.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Last release date is Dec 27 2019
so 2 months.
Gotcha, thanks.

Ugh, damn, I just realized there's most likely no Disney+ app on my TV. I watch 99.99% of content on my big screen TV (in fact I give to three different groups on Patreon and don't even watch the Patreon specific videos cause there's no Patreon app on my TV, lulz).

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
This was a triumph

l2herwO.jpg

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Thoughts:

1. Predictable. Cookie cutter.
2. But still, fun.
3. Glorious visuals.
4. I miss John Williams.

I really like Favreau's directing style...it's not always perfect, but he gets straight into a story & does a good job conveying it (Elf, Zathura, Ironman, etc.). You could tell this was toned-down for kids. Would have been awesome if they went the Netflix Punisher route, haha. Or just a little meatier, in general.

I didn't realize that it was going to be released on a weekly schedule...I was all prepared to binge-watch it :(

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
I really like Favreau's directing style...it's not always perfect, but he gets straight into a story & does a good job conveying it (Elf, Zathura, Ironman, etc.). You could tell this was toned-down for kids. Would have been awesome if they went the Netflix Punisher route, haha. Or just a little meatier, in general.

I didn't realize that it was going to be released on a weekly schedule...I was all prepared to binge-watch it :(

Theres lots of pew pew killing and he cuts a guy in half in the first few minutes? how exactly would you "tone-up" a starwars? there was also the creepy carbonite scene. of course it could be way darker but uh then it would just be gratuitously so.

I also was disappointed when I realized I couldnt binge it :(((((

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Theres lots of pew pew killing and he cuts a guy in half in the first few minutes? how exactly would you "tone-up" a starwars? there was also the creepy carbonite scene. of course it could be way darker but uh then it would just be gratuitously so.

I also was disappointed when I realized I couldnt binge it :(((((

I think there are kind of 4 levels:

1. Disney kid style (they could have toned it down, the cut-in-half scene was actually surprising)
2. Disney, uh, older-kid style (which is where it's at now...gunfights & stuff...kind of feels a bit like CW's "The Flash" in terms of playing it safe)
3. Disney enthusiast style (this is where I'd personally want it to be at...not over-the-top gory, but like, the dude's a bounty hunter, maybe make it a little more gritty?)
4. Disney hardcore style (like Netflix's Punisher)

Like, riding the "horse" is such an old & over-used trope that you knew as soon as the camera panned over to the "I have spoken" guy, he was going to be rolling his eyes at the "new kid falling off the horse". And I think they could have done a better job selling the reason for the horse-aliens too...I mean, the bounty hunter has a flying ship, why not just park closer? Or use Boba Fett's jetpack to hop over the cracks (dunno if that's an "earned item" like his shoulder armor, which I thought was a pretty cool scene with the melting down of the payment & all).

The bad guy who hired him for that job, that actor had a lot of presence...I hope he's in it more in the future, he added the weight I wanted to the story with his acting. I also liked the beat-up & twitchy Stormtroopers, that was a fun angle to expose the audience to, post-Empire. I feel like the doctor didn't quite fit in with that crowd, acting-wise.

Yeah, mostly I'm just whining because I couldn't binge it. I don't always get big chunks of free time in my schedule, so I really enjoy just unplugging for an afternoon or a couple of days whenever I can, eating food, binge-watching shows, etc. I'll definitely be watching this in the future! Hope they add some OG Star Wars music to it too!

Reactions: cirrrocco

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Dude thats Werner Herzog. They also had Carl Weathers, Bill Burr, Nick Nolte and Taika Waititi. And thats only the first episode. The credits were a real eye opener, they are throwing crazy money at this thing...

Reactions: Paladin3

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Dude thats Werner Herzog. They also had Carl Weathers, Bill Burr, Nick Nolte and Taika Waititi. And thats only the first episode. The credits were a real eye opener, they are throwing crazy money at this thing...

Oh dang, Taika voiced IG-88?? And yes, Werner was the one I was referring to...IMDB just has him listed as "The Client" for now.

I take movies at face-value tho...it was fun, but I was hoping it'd be just a little bit deeper. Really enjoyed the visuals. Hoping the story digs in as the episodes come out!

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I thought it was great. I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of the season.

As a side bonus, my TV did have the Disney+ app! Amazing. It must've been added in the last update; I don't think I've seen it before.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
is that $140 for 3 years thing still available? I assume not....I didn't realize that Kaido's post was already...4? months old when I saw it last week. heh.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Yeah, it's been weird seeing Herzog show up as an actor in ...well, very mainstream films in recent years. It's definitely not his wheelhouse, but damn, he really is great in front of the camera.

...for those that are unfamiliar with Herzog, he's a legendary auteur that has been making some very great esoteric-bizarre-insane-amazing films for at least 50 years now. He's also famous for being demanding, insane, violent, but also extremely efficient (always under time and under budget, in absurdly demanding conditions) when directing on set.

Early on, he would cast notably crazy people in major roles (Klaus Kinski being his earliest muse--I think they sometimes got into knife fights on those sets when the cameras weren't rolling)

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Oh dang, Taika voiced IG-88?? And yes, Werner was the one I was referring to...IMDB just has him listed as "The Client" for now.

I take movies at face-value tho...it was fun, but I was hoping it'd be just a little bit deeper. Really enjoyed the visuals. Hoping the story digs in as the episodes come out!

Yeah IG-11 according to the closed captions. Also Bill burr is not in it, I have no idea where I got that from. I think im going crazy.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
nevermind i found it, hes listed as a guest in the wikipedia. must be an ancillary character in an upcoming episode.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
is that $140 for 3 years thing still available? I assume not....I didn't realize that Kaido's post was already...4? months old when I saw it last week. heh.

Current pricing:

$7/mo for Disney+, or $13/mo with (ad-supported) Hulu & ESPN.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Yeah IG-11 according to the closed captions. Also Bill burr is not in it, I have no idea where I got that from. I think im going crazy.

I was going to say, IG-88 had an awesome back story in the post-movie books; he was a pretty lethal & efficient character!

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Yup I saw that too, it was a pre-order deal. so only available before it was released. I saw a page talking about it with link and when I clicked through it only took me to the 1 year deal.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Joined D+ earlier today. Just finished ep 1. It was ok. Predictable, liked the end. Will watch ep2 tonight without HDR on TV. Was too dark on my samsung tablet and I cant turn off HDR on it like my TV.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Episode 2 "The Child" is out - :p

Child "Yoda" tires to help Mandolarian with the Force, but he seems to refuse help. But in the end the child helps, but is tired for the effort
Child Yoda Force.png

Last edited: