The left in the US is so retarded.. its insane.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
OP is correct about what are the good and bad parts of the left. Climate change mitigation, healthcare, basically all fiscal and economic policies. And on some basic social issues like abortion. So far as identity politics go, however, other than the basic position of opposing bigotry and racism, the zeitgeist on the left, especially as reflected through mainstream news media and popular culture, needs to be flushed down the toilet or at least seriously overhauled. It's empowering Trump and the far right at the moment. It's hurting us daily.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Because Democrats are controlled opposition. Their only real job is to undermine the actual left like Sanders. When it comes to that, they will demonstrate political accumen nearly on part with moscow mitch. But just watch Biden as he stumbles over a senate procedural step that Mitch ran roughshod over when it came to raising the minimum wage.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
James Carville had a piece on this a few weeks ago...about how Dems like a losing battle and that they are sleep walking into a midterm washout.

I get that their hands are tied with respect to legislation, but the absolutely horrible messaging and refusal to face the GOP head on is almost inexcusable. They're letting down a ton of people.
I keep seeing this claim that they need to ramp up the messaging. How exactly are they supposed to accomplish this? We don't have an entire media empire at our beck and whim like conservatives do because there is no appetite for it. We already have countless comedy shows blaring how fucked up the right-wing is. Psaki is up there every day saying most of the things you want them to say. So what else can be done?

Reactions: hal2kilo

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Actually the cost of living is roughly the same, if you want the same kind of health insurance, education and unemployment insurance. The difference is you can't opt out of it, and you're always covered no matter what your income is.
Sounds like communist enslavement. /s

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I keep seeing this claim that they need to ramp up the messaging. How exactly are they supposed to accomplish this? We don't have an entire media empire at our beck and whim like conservatives do because there is no appetite for it. We already have countless comedy shows blaring how fucked up the right-wing is. Psaki is up there every day saying most of the things you want them to say. So what else can be done?
Take off the kid gloves, stop trying to be so nice, and stop worrying about offending conservatives that will feign offense no matter what anyway. Stop pulling fucking punches and go hard. There's no need to be dishonest like rethuglicvnts, they have plenty of ammo that they don't really make use of.

Reactions: hal2kilo and dawp
Nov 29, 2006
I agree the Dems messaging is shit. But that is because they are not as left as most of their voting base is. We either need a true left party to take most of the Dem voters away, or younger Dems who are not corporate whores and envision a better left America.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Social justice is corporate friendly which is why the Democrats are boxed into running on it plus 'we're not the Republicans.' No company's taxes go up because they tweet black lives matter. There is no such thing as the left in this country, at least governing wise because this nation is an oligarchy. Democrats are the American Tories and Republicans are the American Nazis. I'll take Tories over Nazis but they both fucking suck.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
James Carville had a piece on this a few weeks ago...about how Dems like a losing battle and that they are sleep walking into a midterm washout.

I get that their hands are tied with respect to legislation, but the absolutely horrible messaging and refusal to face the GOP head on is almost inexcusable. They're letting down a ton of people.

LOL Carville is about as milquetoast establishment Democrat as you can come up with after the Clintons. Losers like Carville are why the Democrats are such a shit party. Fuck James Carville.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
They are full fledged members of the synagogue of satan. That said, there are a ton on the right too, there isn't any difference. Two sides of the same coin.

They don't care about the masses or the welfare of the people. They only create division... Divide and conquer. While they buy gucci bags and have orgies on their yachts. Just watch these shows on Bravo... Real housewives of whatevers... They call themselves (most of the time) leftists... Its pathetic. Kyle Richards on an episode recently (my wife watches this crap so I see it from time to time) was bragging about her $50,000 bag. Thats 2 years of salary for someone in poverty. WTF...

AOC is you gal. And Bernie your man.

• Haha

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Take off the kid gloves, stop trying to be so nice, and stop worrying about offending conservatives that will feign offense no matter what anyway. Stop pulling fucking punches and go hard. There's no need to be dishonest like rethuglicvnts, they have plenty of ammo that they don't really make use of.
The problem is that it does not work. It just makes the Democrat looks like the asshat.
The left already know the Republicans are not sincere, and the Right don't care.
The reason that Republicans get away with acting all offended is because the Democrats actually care about people and Republicans are willing to use that against them. Republicans are for the most part sociopaths that are incapable of empathy and don't care who is hurt as long as they get to win.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
OP is correct about what are the good and bad parts of the left. Climate change mitigation, healthcare, basically all fiscal and economic policies. And on some basic social issues like abortion. So far as identity politics go, however, other than the basic position of opposing bigotry and racism, the zeitgeist on the left, especially as reflected through mainstream news media and popular culture, needs to be flushed down the toilet or at least seriously overhauled. It's empowering Trump and the far right at the moment. It's hurting us daily.
I'm sure the reality isn't that it is trump and the right wing media highlighting the culture issues? No way. The Dems in Congress have definitely been writing bathroom bills and pronoun bills while ignore climate change and economics....

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Because in Europe the Democratic Party would be a center party, not a leftist party. In Europe, they have everything we have on the left, they just have a lot more as well. If you want the rest, we need to move the country further left.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It's remarkable how effective the right-wing media has been at promoting a monolithic and polarized version of the political left in the US.
Self hate creates an infinite appetite for fingers of blame. It is the root cause of emotional neediness and the quantity of supply indicates the enormity of mental illness around us, in my opinion.

So I can go with remarkable if it does not include a notion of surprising because of my belief in the universal though normally hidden nature of the manifestation of this disease. It’s par for the course but something that deserves enormous attention, in my opinion.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I'm sure the reality isn't that it is trump and the right wing media highlighting the culture issues? No way. The Dems in Congress have definitely been writing bathroom bills and pronoun bills while ignore climate change and economics....

You’d think that after many decades of the right framing every issue, real and at most times, imagined, that the left would be able to recognize when they are being pigeonholed and drawn into a fake fight. But as the OP clearly demonstrates, as does other left leaning talking heads (bill Maher for example), they keep falling for it and simply amplify the rights messaging. Honestly, it seems like AOC and buttigieg are the only democrats that get it and are capable of not only recognizing the rights tricks but at countering their messaging/framing.

Last edited:

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Wealth inequality, health inequality, living inequality and countless other inequalities are increasing.

Yet, the left is worried about how few black coaches are in the NFL. Sign of the times. Oh look, more minorities in TV ads. We've made progress!

(While in the real world, minorities are having a harder time economically and people can't even find an affordable house days)

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and iRONic
Nov 29, 2006
Wealth inequality, health inequality, living inequality and countless other inequalities are increasing.

Yet, the left is worried about how few black coaches are in the NFL. Sign of the times. Oh look, more minorities in TV ads. We've made progress!

(While in the real world, minorities are having a harder time economically and people can't even find an affordable house days)

Talks about all the inequalities, then goes after the left for trying to address them. This one's not so smart.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
He's a clown.
OOh, here comes a quality P&N post, guys. When will the rest of the fellas join in the circle? Can't wait!

The modern left does not and cannot debate or even argue. They can only name call, ban and shut down free speech. No wonder they are losing all their reasonable people.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and iRONic

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Self hate creates an infinite appetite for fingers of blame. It is the root cause of emotional neediness and the quantity of supply indicates the enormity of mental illness around us, in my opinion.

So I can go with remarkable if it does not include a notion of surprising because of my belief in the universal though normally hidden nature of the manifestation of this disease. It’s par for the course but something that deserves enormous attention, in my opinion.

Remarkable as in worthy of attention. Surprising? Well, that depends on the person I suppose.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Righties are confused because unlike their clown camp, lefty media talking heads aren’t actually calling the shots in Congress/the White House.

So yeah, you’ll hear someone bitch about pronouns, you’ll hear someone bitch about black coaches and you’ll hear someone ask why Uncle Sam hasn’t paid off their college loans. Freedom of speech. But the difference is you won’t see them have Biden or Pelosi on speed dial.