The Kickstarter for "Takedown" has reached its goal, and is now being funded!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I didnt think the weapons handling and movement was bad. they are supposed to move like silent operators, not run around like COD supersoldiers or even Battlefielders

Where in my post did I imply that gunhandling was supposed to be similar to CoD?

Play ArmA III and then compare it to this. THAT is how it feels to shoot a real weapon. Takedown almost feels like a cheesy flash game in comparison, and I hate it when developers are too lazy to model and animate a proper optics sight picture. Come on. Listening to the developers, they had the right idea in their approach, they just didn't execute it very well at all. I know plenty of modders who do work far better than this.

Last edited:

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Personally, there are way too many alpha/beta/early access on Steam now. 90% (probably more) of gamers do not want that. They want a finished product that isn't bug ridden.

Couldn't agree more. I don't buy anything early access ever. Never will. Not interested in spending money on an unfinished product.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Where in my post did I imply that gunhandling was supposed to be similar to CoD?

Play ArmA III and then compare it to this. THAT is how it feels to shoot a real weapon. Takedown almost feels like a cheesy flash game in comparison, and I hate it when developers are too lazy to model and animate a proper optics sight picture. R6 is how many years old now, and even they at least gave us a proper optics view. Come on. Listening to the developers, they had the right idea in their approach, they just didn't execute it very well at all. I know plenty of modders who do work far better than this.

I didnt say it was great or perfect, just not bad. I've played games that handled it far worse. My COD comment was about movement, not gun handling, its very hard to walk around quietly, the movement is a bit boxy, but speed wise I dont think its that out of line. would like some weapon sway though to look more realistic

but now I need to go play it again and see what I missed, I only had about 30 minutes to play with it so far

thanks for reminding me I still havent bought arma III :'(

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I didnt say it was great or perfect, just not bad. I've played games that handled it far worse. My COD comment was about movement, not gun handling, its very hard to walk around quietly, the movement is a bit boxy, but speed wise I dont think its that out of line. would like some weapon sway though to look more realistic

but now I need to go play it again and see what I missed, I only had about 30 minutes to play with it so far

thanks for reminding me I still havent bought arma III :'(

I think most FPSs don't do too good a job with movement mechanics, because they've gotten so far away from stealth combat. How many FPS even have lean any more? :(

Crysis with the Tactical Expansion Mod (which changes gun-handling and some movement mechanics) is among the best at pulling everything together. The only thing it's missing is a "walk" key, as in order to really creep you need to crouch to slow down.

ArmA III gives you 3 speeds of movement, and they're all useful depending on location and approach, plus a good implementation of lean and prone. I wish it had a close-quarters gameplay mode that was similar to this game's premise because ArmA already has a squad-command system in place.

I would really like to see a great game like this come out.....I think there is a hole that hasn't been filled with a situational, squad based tactical game like this. ArmA is pretty cool because it lets you do it on a large scale, but there's something really intense about close-quarters stealth combat. Creeping down those little hallways, wondering if somebody is going to pop out of that doorway you passed a little earlier behind you. ;)

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
finally got to play co-op with a friend today. we had fun despite some of the bugs/issues. had lots of trouble getting a game started first of all.

had other people join us while we were playing and had fun.

I think the core gameplay is fine, it just needs to be polished more and add a few extra things and it would be a good game.